Tarp cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Okay, we've talked about which knots to use to attach the cords to a tarp but how much cord do people use on each eyelet/loop?

I know that it probably is a bit of a bone question to most, but I've mostly used bungees before (yeah, I know...) because of my background. Now I'm starting to see the benefits of cord, so I'm after some advice.

Question 2: what type of cord do people use? I've got paracord but it can be stiff and thick to use. Is there anything easier?

Thanks in advance,
Claudiasboris

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use 7 strand paracord ( the proper stuff) for the guys and 7 mm purlon rope for the ridgeline. On the guys i leave 5m per corner on my 3x2 tarp, 10 m per corner on my 4.5x.45 tatonka. That may seem a little exessive but its good to have the options.

The 7mm ridgeline stuff stretches a little too much for my liking especially on the big tatonka. Does anyone know of any suitable non-stretching rope to use instead thats fairly cheap?

Each to their own on this one...:D however, I rarely if ever use real paracord other than on lanyards, wristies and occassionally a ridgeline as I too think it's a bit thick and not the best for me to work with. I prefer MOD comms cord which is very strong green cord which is rarer than hens teeth to get a hold of. The advantage is it's easier for me to tie knots in, it's lighter, less bulky and I suspect yet haven't tried to prove it yet, as strong as paracord. There are other numerous thin cords that are more than adequate from chandlers and the like.

As for lengths, well you really can't have more than enough, cord is so useful when out in the green that it will be handy for numerous projects. It really also depends on your tarp set up. I tend to be quite practical and prefer to attach the cord to the eylet or loop as and when I need it. So some set ups need it some don't. I like my tarp low and lean when hammocking or ground hugging so don't usually need a lot. But I usually have at least 15 meters of cord with me if not a lot more.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the quick answers!

Comms cord does sound like a good idea, I might go on a little scrounge for a roll.

I have a good few metres of paracord but I'm always reticent about cutting it into lengths because I know that when I really need it I'll have cut it just too short.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have 4m of 3mm accessory cord to tie onto each eyelet, sometimes tie in a 6" x 1" length of inner tube if it`s really windy.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I use 4 x 4m of 2m dyneema for the corners and a 15m length for the ridge..

I also carry a couple of 30m hanks of 0.5mm nylon (from B&Q) which is useful for trying out configurations before cutting the expensive stuff, and also for ad hoc guys and lifters etc

Does anyone know of any suitable non-stretching rope to use instead thats fairly cheap?

Dyneema is seriously non-stretch, but not cheap compared to paracord.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I got mine from Bob at backpackinglight. He only sells it on the site at 15m,
but if you contact him I dare say he buys it by the roll and can sort you out.
Otherwise, chandlers only tend to do the larger diameters, but kite shops
are probably worth a try or maybe game fishing sites.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm mainly looking for it for the ridgeline, 2 mm is a bit thin. Is it the dyneemabraid? That looks ok and cheap enough

Sorry for intruding on the thread.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I'm glad it's of interest to more than just me.

I've heard of dyneema but it does look expensive. I guess you get what you pay for but I'd be even more nervous of cutting it.

Thanks for all your help!
Claudiasboris

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
What is wrong with thin? It's stronger than 550 paracord and 75 grams for your 25m. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I haven't been using it for long.

The Dyneemabraid is what caught my eye, it's HMPE core (i.e. Dyneema) and an ordinary braid sheathing.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I'm glad it's of interest to more than just me.

I've heard of dyneema but it does look expensive. I guess you get what you pay for but I'd
be even more nervous of cutting it.

Well from that site, and taking my local as a baseline, I can buy over 11 metres for the
price of a pint, and I have no hesitation in destroying a pint :)

:beerchug:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What is wrong with thin? It's stronger than 550 paracord and 75 grams for your 25m. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I haven't been using it for long.

The Dyneemabraid is what caught my eye, it's HMPE core (i.e. Dyneema) and an ordinary braid sheathing.

Theres nothing wrong with thin if it's up to the job. How would it fare with a 4.5 x 4.5 m polycotton tarp? They are much heavier than the regular tarps.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Well, at 280kg breaking strain, you could throw it over the branch of one tree, run it to
another, throw it over the branch of the other tree and hang three 14-stone people on each
end.

I'll stick a couple of metres in the post if you PM me.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As Woodsmoke says there are many types of cord that work so save your pennies for other things.

Curtain cord is cheap.

What you want is some thing that will not slip and is easy to tie/untie with wet or cold fingers.

If you camp with others, and particularly newbie campers, try using white cord for your tarp.

It helps them avoid garroting themselves and waking you up in the middle of the night

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for posting. That's given me food for thought, though I may try out a range of cordages. I fancy some Dyneema, but the curtain cord idea is great!!!

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
One thing to remember with modern braids like Dyneema is that some of them can be very slippery, which makes them completely unsuitable for a lot of common knots. Also since they have zero stretch and are usually low diameter, they can become quite dangerous in certain situations - your ridgeline could become rather pianowire like if walked into in the dark.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Dyneema is fine for knotting. It is thin and light, that's why I like it. And I'll bet that you'll
spot my dayglow yellow Dyneema easier than olive-green paracord :)

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Mmmmm, I've got a couple of spools of yellow Dyneema fishing braid in the loft somewhere.

I'll have to go and dig it out and have a play.

Thanks for reminding me guys

Oh, by the way, you can get comms cord from Endicotts in Exeter, have a look at their website.
( no connection, just a satisfied customer)

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE