Tarp cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
Dyneema is fine for knotting. It is thin and light, that's why I like it. And I'll bet that you'll
spot my dayglow yellow Dyneema easier than olive-green paracord :)

Soz didn't realise it came in bright colours, all the braid I've used before has been blue or grey! I've just used it in fishing, and it is amazing stuff compared to mono but I always found knots like the Uni Knot, which usually tightens nicely when tied with mono, the knot can slip and the loop will open (the knot isnt compromised just the loop gets bigger). It's also an absolutely pain for getting windknots and snarled up when its lying loose on the ground because it has no rigidity.

I look forward to hearing how you guys get on with these though.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Soz didn't realise it came in bright colours, all the braid I've
used before has been blue or grey! I've just used it in fishing, and it is amazing stuff
compared to mono but I always found knots like the Uni Knot, which usually tightens
nicely when tied with mono, the knot can slip and the loop will open (the knot isnt
compromised just the loop gets bigger). It's also an absolutely pain for getting windknots
and snarled up when its lying loose on the ground because it has no rigidity.

No, this stuff is quite stiff until you have used it a couple of times - there's no 'give' either
as stretch (about 1.5% apparently), or if you try to squash it.

Like I said, the outer sheath isn't Dyneema whereas I dare say the fishing stuff is
Dyneema right through. Perhaps that makes the difference.

I haven't had any trouble with any knots in it and I've tried a fair few. With the 'guyrope'
knot, if the line is newish then you might be better with three (rather than two) turns around
the standing part before you go around both to lock it, but that is more due to the
springiness rather than it being slippery. Everything else holds fine.

I've got a number of half-metre bits which were cut for something and then I changed my
mind - if you want a bit, PM me.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
4 mm braided polyester (about 3 m each, permanently attached to each corner). Not too heavy, but will take knots well. Also a rope (7 mm kernmantle style) of about 7-8 m lenght. In the center loop there is a piece of thick bungee cord tied in a loop; makes it easier to get things nice, and will flex if the wind is strong, thus softening the impact of gusty winds.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you are anywhere near a branch of Decathlon then try some of their 2mm Polymide cordelette.

They sell hanks of it in the climbing dept. but if you look in the sailing section they sell 40m rolls for about a fiver.

Great stuff, all sorts of colours including a mostly green or higher viz red or yellows.

As mentioned, a bit of shock cord or rubber built in to the system can reduce the stress on you tarp a lot in the wind.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Just the ridge line will do - imagine if you loosened one end of the ridge line, the guy lines would loosen, too.

B&Q do it by the metre.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE