Tarp and Hammock tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi folks,

Quite a while ago I did a tutorial on how to set up and take down a tarp and hammock, originally at the request of Ronnie Sunshines. The sequence ended up being rather more in depth than they anticipated. In a couple of recent threads I used some of the images from the sequence to answer members questions, and subsequently made the original slide show available for download.
Sandbender has been kind enough to convert the file to a .pdf format and make the file available for download here which is much faster to download and far more user friendly.
Many thanks to sandbender for doing this and I hope people find it useful.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I should point out that I didn't set up a 'collectors' account with rapidshare so this download link will only work for a limited number of downloads. :eek:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Great stuff Will, I was hoping initially this would be a movie, but actually that's much better than a movie. You've really left nothing out, so there's lots to study and absorb, and you've clearly thought every move through. Nice. :)

One thing - you run a line under the tarp, from tree to tree. Does this not drip onto you in the rain? I do the same, sort of, but my tarp has attachment points inside, so the whole line is under the tarp.

Also - just curiosity - how much does that setup weigh in total?

Finally, why did I never think to put the mat INSIDE the sleeping bag? :banghead: Makes so much sense!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Great stuff Will, I was hoping initially this would be a movie, but actually that's much better than a movie. You've really left nothing out, so there's lots to study and absorb, and you've clearly thought every move through. Nice. :)

One thing - you run a line under the tarp, from tree to tree. Does this not drip onto you in the rain? I do the same, sort of, but my tarp has attachment points inside, so the whole line is under the tarp.

Also - just curiosity - how much does that setup weigh in total?

Finally, why did I never think to put the mat INSIDE the sleeping bag? :banghead: Makes so much sense!

Thanks for the kind words.

If there is a lot of equipment/weight supported on that line the it is possible for drips to run down but never a significant ammount and it only hits the gear on that line, which in my case is usualy, damp jackets/towels ect. anyway so has never become a problem for me. Even then its very rare.

I'm not sure of the weight and I don't have any scales, but I'll weigh it when I can and let you know. The mat in the sleeping bag idea came to me from Ben McNutt in 2003 so credit to him really.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Will,

Would it be okay to host that file from my server, free bandwith and credit for you.

Yeah that may be more user friendly than rapidshare. However following a message from Tony I'm posting a copy to him, so the sequence should be up on BCUK in the articles section soon and the .pdf will hopefully be made available in the downloads section of the site.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Yeah that may be more user friendly than rapidshare. However following a message from Tony I'm posting a copy to him, so the sequence should be up on BCUK in the articles section soon and the .pdf will hopefully be made available in the downloads section of the site.
Well I'll host it from my site as well then its in two places if that cool.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
That is one of the most comprehensive instructional series I have had the pleasure to view. Even though I do not posses a hammock I think that anyone could now practice away and master "the hammock" from that superb tutorial.

Every twist and turn of every knot.:wow1:

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
Just tried to open the zip files with stuffit expander, on the Mac, and it says it's not recognised... Know next to nothing about Macs so it could be a user error.. but any help would be appreciated.. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE