Tarp advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 21, 2013
Gloucestershire
Hi I'm looking at a dd solo tarp and was wondering if it is a good size for ground camping its 2.8 x 1.8. I think the 3x3 will be too large for being stealthy. Also do I need a bivy bag if I'm under a tarp? Also what tarp poles shall I buy.
Thanks
Tom

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
You might find the Solo could be limiting in the way it can be setup. Yes the 2x3 is bigger but will give more options, you could even tuck it under if its too big. A bivvy bag is not essential but can provide a little extra protection from both the floor and the elements and help with insulation. Poles, I would recomend walking poles as they are adjustable and can be used as walking poles.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you rarely use trekking poles then carrying them is dead weight. Fizan make their compact poles for just over £50 I think that are really light. Alternatively I think BPL-UK sell tarp poles. If not them MLD from USA in carbon, or a few others over there too. Look at oookworks a UK firm. Might not be what you want or need but heard good things about them.

I use a black diamond and a MountainKing pole. Not light and only actually used as trekking poles when crossing streams, the rest of the time they're on my sack. Seriously need the fizans but not getting out enough to justify.

just bought the BPL-UK solo tarp at 1.75m x 2.75m and 290-ish grammes. trying it this weekend if it gets delivered. Not right size but a good tarp I think. they sell other tarps that might be better.

iirc there's bearpaw, a UK company. MLD are gd too. Look to American makers as 8x10 feet might be easier to find where they still use imperial.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've heard of some ppl getting some foil coated sort of bubble wrap from diy or builders merchants. It's some kind of construction insulation, comes on a roll you buy the length you need from it. This vworks as a groundsheet and camp mat too. A lightweight option I believe.

you can sleep on top of a bivvy bag if you don't want to sleep inside it. Plus you still have it if the weather gets bad. bivvy bags are great for cutting wind and wind blown rain out.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi I'm looking at a dd solo tarp and was wondering if it is a good size for ground camping its 2.8 x 1.8. I think the 3x3 will be too large for being stealthy. Also do I need a bivy bag if I'm under a tarp? Also what tarp poles shall I buy.
Thanks
Tom

3 x 3 gives lots of options and isn't too big to carry. Get a DD sausage skin and 100" of paracord. Ridge line of 20", rest of it reserved for tie downs.

Sleeping mat and bag or hammock is my preference, I confess to knowing nothing about bivi bags. You will need something under you and over you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE