Swords.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd love a sword. A real one. Not a wall hanger.

Not very bushcrafty per se, so I blame GOT. [Did you see that sword fight!] And growing up reading every fantasy novel going.

Anyone got a sword? Love to see them.

Or whats your fantasy sword, money no object?

A roman short sword, a celtic sword, or a double handed broadsword etc?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Give me Conans sword.......ill be a happy man. I like my big double handed barbarian stuff. Nothing "too big" though, needs to be wieldable for a 6'3 18 stone northern bar steward like myself :D

Gonna make some, working on a short sword now for a chap.

Will be the first of many.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I need 'Excalibur' in my life. :)

excaliburjb01s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
During my on going midlife crisis ( which it would seam started during puberty) I finally gave in and got a live copy of a longseax, the sort of thing the Franks were trading with the Saxons and the Vikings were acquiring in the 9 and 10 century's. Just a single edged short sword that could double up as a agricultural tool/ machete. There's a thread somewhere about making the handle and a couple of scabbards for it.

The middle son is egging me on to get a length of telegraph pole or sleeper and dig it in unti Six foot is poking up so we can get some exercise practicing hacking at it a la the Romans. He's got his own large broken back seax and is waiting until he has finished growing ( and is earning ) before getting a full sized sword.

if I had the money I'd have something similar to what I've got but pattern welded and with all the Staffordshire Hoard bling that would go with. I do like garnets and a bit of gold...

atb

Tom

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Give me Conans sword.......ill be a happy man. I like my big double handed barbarian stuff. Nothing "too big" though, needs to be wieldable for a 6'3 18 stone northern bar steward like myself :D

Gonna make some, working on a short sword now for a chap.

Will be the first of many.

Does that mean lock ins and free beers on a sunday night for members? :You_Rock_

I want something that would actually work, so maybe a short sword, with a round shield? But not roman. Celtic.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Picking a favorite sword would be like picking a favorite genre of adventure: Do I feel like a pirate today? (a cutlass?) Or a cavalryman? (a saber?) Maybe a Musketeer? (a rapier?) Well, you get the idea.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Have several swords, reenactment and for real. One of my favourites is a French artillery sword modelled on a leaf shaped bladed Roman one. Grew up with Masai simes and was pleased to complete the weapon set with a couple of antique Masai spears. Modern foil on Thursdays and Medieval combat on Mondays I find better than the gym for agility, cardio and strength. Some bronze weapons such as axes, rapiers nd knives but here my interest has got far more into bronze tools and using them.

These are not mine but examples
swordfrartillery.jpg

e1699a.jpg
va-120-se-the-savoy-800x533.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've got loads, mostly medieval and viking era, but these here are the faves in my collection...

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've always been fond of the long kinfe / tomahawk combo.

In my work as an ancient historian I've been able to handle and examine weapons and armour from ancient Greece, mostly bronze and early iron stuff - nice to look at and hang on a wall, but not very practical (if I can use that word without laughing :) ) compared to more modern stuff. So if it came to actually getting one and money was no object I'd love a traditionally made katana, or a wootz long sword the best that Europe and Asia have to offer.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Only one sword would do for me and that's the Sutton Hoo sword, fully handled with replica pommel, crossguard and other fittings and it has to be displayed alongside a full sized replica of the helmet :)

AN00131816_001_l.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
How about this one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Taken from Pinterest
Yorkshire Museum | The Cawood Viking sword has survived virtually intact for nearly 1,000 years The fifth sword of its type to be found and in such good condition that lettering is still seen on the blade. There are capital letters from the Roman alphabet on one side and from the Lombardic alphabet on the other, but do not spell any known words. Cawood Castle, near the place of discovery, was the summer palace for the Archbishop of York and in earlier times was a Viking lord’s manor house.

Attachments

• 5b91ddf4c2ac34e5f42fb222f52f3822.jpg
    5b91ddf4c2ac34e5f42fb222f52f3822.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 149
  • ee949ef9d5ad947e7eaf81356d1cc18c.jpg
    ee949ef9d5ad947e7eaf81356d1cc18c.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 146

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dave, (or anyone else)

If you like swords and are not already neck deep in them, you might enjoy the DVD "Reclaiming the Blade"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0961079/

Its a little overdone in places, but still fun and informative. Lots of people who are really keen on swords and swordsmanship.

Personally I think some swords can be things of beauty, but have never felt the need to own one.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Here's an awesome documentary about making a viking sword...... well worth a watch if you've not seen it.

[video=youtube;fTlmrAh1oHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTlmrAh1oHI[/video]

Now i've got myself watching it again :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE