Sword?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I saw on another forum that some people take katanas with them when bushcrafting. Why?

What are the benifits?
Does anyone here take a sword bushcrafting?
Has anyone here ever taken a sword bushcrafting?

Thanks,
Emdiesse

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
That would be very unlikely. :rolmao: Sorry it made me chuckle when reading the first line... I doubt many in here would take a sword, perhaps a small chopper, or axe, but that's about it. :wink:

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Chopper said:
I always carry one, just in case I get attacked by Ninja's.... :swordfigh

Ah ha! The famous Ninja of Kent. As serious a clan as ever was!!! First notice you have that they're about is a shower of arrows. :rolmao:

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I have quite a nice traditionally hand-forged katana, which I've used for all sorts of things from doing the gardening to dismantling an old sofa... but I've never used it for Bushcraft!

Haha, maybe I should try that... the pictures would certainly make interesting viewing!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
hootchi said:
TomTom will be around later i guarantee you of that!!
:rolmao:

Emdiesse i don't think you will find anyone (not on this forum anyway) who carries a katanas in the bush (maybe Uma.. but you know what i mean)

there are some people who carry Tantos (a knife of the same style/blade grind as a Katanas) and think that that style of blade (heres a thread about it) has its merits in the outdoors.. im not one of them! and think there are much more suitable knives out there.. also i think it unlikely that in this country you could give good reason to a police officer (should you need to) for walking round the woods with a sword!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
There is a make of knife imported from NZ called a Svord - are you sure they dont mean those?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
:rolmao: :super: :You_Rock_

are you going to hold the wood and use it against the sword?
are you going to hold the sword handle?
are you going to carefully hold the blade and carve?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, I hope to have all my fingers intact but i'm only used to using one in the conventional way...

I'll try and get the base shape using proper technique but i'll probably have to hold the handle to get it looking anything like a spoon.

This should be fun :roll:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Basic katana... no carvings, no fancy tempering... nice and cheap so i'm not too afraid to use it.

Well, it did get a little nerve racking when my instructor and I went at it with functional blades but hey, get's the heart pumping!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE