Swmbo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Each to their own. I don't write my husband or sons names on the net, this is a neat way of describing the individual without being too personal about it. Indeed I used the HWMBLT enough that when I asked him to join up so I could check something from a members point of view not a Mods one, he used that acronym :D

As for the others.......common usage; First Aid Kit, Every Day Carry, Small Forest Axe, If I recall correctly, and the others are just simplified phrases.

Text speak is often gobbledegook only understood amongst friends within a certain circle.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Each to their own.

As for the others.......common usage; First Aid Kit, Every Day Carry, Small Forest Axe, If I recall correctly, and the others are just simplified phrases.

Text speak is often gobbledegook only understood amongst friends within a certain circle.

cheers,
Toddy

Yep - that is how I see it as well!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But this is the circle, it's a kind of welcoming one though, and these acronyms are the familiar terms we use all the time.

cheers,
Toddy

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As I see it this forum uses some acronyms ( SWMBO, SFA, RM etc ect) Other forums use acronyms that are pertinant to whatever hobby or topic they are dealing with... part of being a member of any forum is understanding the lingo... If I was on a 4WD forum ( should that be four wheel drive;) ) folk might be banging on about PTO's and SAT tyres ad infinitum...

Humans are intrinsically lazy animals so where ever we see the option to take a short cut we generally do, be it walking up a mountainside or typing a post on a forum... Such is life.

I don't think the acronyms used on BCUK are particularly designed to exclude new people or some sort of inside joke or secret language for the more established members.

Generally if you ask what something means someone will tell you the answer...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Bizarrely enough, when I don't know what an acronym stands for I google it - seeing as I'm already using the internet to access the forums ?!*

I'm tempted to write a reply in binary just to make you look up every single character, but I won't.
If you had to, I guarantee you'd find it extremely frustrating.

i dont see the point in it, why not just say wife or girlfreind?

Absolutely, that's what I'm talking about.

Humans are intrinsically lazy animals so where ever we see the option to take a short cut we generally do, be it walking up a mountainside or typing a post on a forum... Such is life.

Not when it comes to the written word I'm not.
Would you take a short cut when setting up a hammock and tarp, maybe omitting a drip line?

I don't think the acronyms used on BCUK are particularly designed to exclude new people or some sort of inside joke or secret language for the more established members.

Generally if you ask what something means someone will tell you the answer...

I agree, I don't think it's designed to exclude anyone but probably started out as a bit of a joke that's wearing a little thin and the people on here are extremely helpful in pointing out something which someone might not understand.

In summary, this isn't a rant (not that I should have to state this, but find that the need to do so on "teh internetz" is increasingly necessary) and I'm no expert at all, I just try to make an effort to keep it neat, but I do think that our lovely language gets bastardised enough far too much in this day and age. In my eyes it's tantamount to drawing a big purple cock on Mona Lisa's head.

Cheers ATB.

LOL

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally, although keen on our native language and a writer by trade (but a poor typist), I rather like the SWMBO acronym....it is gently amusing, pointing out that our desires can be in conflict with the object of our (relarionship based) desires, has a double reference to writers of cultural significance (one of humerous and one of rip-roaring adventure) and actually fits the ethos of Bushcrafting quite well showing an apreciation of our loved ones (who may not share our enthusiasm for The Great Outdoors [TGO]), an apreciation of good literature and the posetion of a Good Sence of Humour [GSOH]!
I am the first to be baffled by "Txt spk" and see it as empty, humourless, contractive, countercultural and based in ignorance of the beauty of our language.
Many acronyms are merely shortenings of words or phrases
SWMBO is SO much more! :D

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Personally, although keen on our native language and a writer by trade (but a poor typist), I rather like the SWMBO acronym....it is gently amusing, pointing out that our desires can be in conflict with the object of our (relarionship based) desires, has a double reference to writers of cultural significance (one of humerous and one of rip-roaring adventure) and actually fits the ethos of Bushcrafting quite well showing an apreciation of our loved ones (who may not share our enthusiasm for The Great Outdoors [TGO]), an apreciation of good literature and the posetion of a Good Sence of Humour [GSOH]!
I am the first to be baffled by "Txt spk" and see it as empty, humourless, contractive, countercultural and based in ignorance of the beauty of our language.

Well said. Language is an evolving entity and while I might personally abhor aspects of this evolution (textspeak, managementspeak turning of nouns into verbs - "to agenda", "to conference" etc. - and the death of the apostrophe) I accept that it is inevitable and try to adopt what is good while railing against that which does not add anything to the language but merely serves to confuse or exclude. SWMBO is not used exclusively here on BCUK but has entered the language in general (Like the term "Catch 22").

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Very well said, Mr Fenna :approve:

It's like the way that HWMBLT becomes HWTHMBLT (he who thinks he must be obeyed)when he's irritating the living daylights out of me :eek: :D
He has been known to address me as SWWNO.........she who will not obey :rolleyes:
....I did tell him over thirty years ago I wasn't signing up for that though; well not *every*time ;)

It's gentle humour, it's wife/ girlfriend/ SO, (significant other) / partner / lover/ in a neat little package of letters :)

cheers,
M

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
SWMBO is SO much more!

Absolutely, John...

And it's meant to be humorous too...I think meself...ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE