swedish surplus bergan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Now this is better :D

The list now consists of:
me
JimH
j.roberts7
gill
sonoftoil
Graham_S

I am going to order them on September 1st, in case more people are interested. They will definitely arrive before the scottish meetup so I guess at least Graham_S would like his delivered there.

Also since I will order some stainless steel mess kits at the same time I think the price is going to be a little lower than previously stated, but I will confirm this later. The mess kits prices will be at cost since there is stuff for me as well in the shipping and I don't really feel good about charging extra to members here.

/Tommy

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
As an option, they cost 450 SEK for a new one which is around £33 from here:

Active Life Equipment - Ryggsäck LK-70 ref no.10340

When I asked back in April the cost of postage to France (same for UK) was 270 SEK or about £20 ("Shipping to UK, one parcel 4kg, would be 270 SEK with our service level agreement with Schenker. Payment in advance.")

Giving an approx. total including postage direct from Sweden of 720 SEK/ around £53.

I have brought stuff from them before and they were very helpful. Best to email them, contact Jan-Erik Backman. He speaks good English. Email contact is: order@surplus.se They do a lot of Swedish army surplus. The web site is in Swedish only.

Good prices, it's just the postage which bumps the cost up.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Yup, that's where the rucksacks will be ordered from. As you say the website's in Swedish and they don't take credit cards so that's where I come in :)

If Royal Mail only could offer better prices here... Hmm, maybe I could get them to mail them out to all of you directly? You pay me and I'll just forward the payment. I'll check!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Bumblebee said:
Yup, that's where the rucksacks will be ordered from. As you say the website's in Swedish and they don't take credit cards so that's where I come in :)

If Royal Mail only could offer better prices here... Hmm, maybe I could get them to mail them out to all of you directly? You pay me and I'll just forward the payment. I'll check!
Yep, that's true they don't do c/c. Not too much of a problem from here as I just sent it as electronic payment from my bank. But from the UK it is more expensive to do that. If memory serves they weigh a bit over 3kg and also an awkward shape so postage is always going to be pricey.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Moonraker said:
Yep, that's true they don't do c/c. Not too much of a problem from here as I just sent it as electronic payment from my bank. But from the UK it is more expensive to do that.

The one and only time I had to transfer money to Sweden NatWest charged me £18 AND it took 7 days.. Highway robbery :eek:

I have some cash in a Swedish bank account so I just use that using the exchange rate www.xe.com/ucc gives me

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Bumblebee said:
The one and only time I had to transfer money to Sweden NatWest charged me £18 AND it took 7 days.. Highway robbery :eek:

I have some cash in a Swedish bank account so I just use that using the exchange rate www.xe.com/ucc gives me
Yep. Bad news. Luckily there is a rule in the EU euro countries (which SE also follows) that a bank can only charge the same fee they charge for national transfers as for European ones. So it only cost me about £3 and goes through quickly. In Germany they use this a lot as I believe there is no or little cost for electronic bank transfer in DE.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have the amaller one which was brand new when i got it and its lasted years of abuse so if thats built to the same spec it will be well worth the money
can fill you in a check anytime just let me know

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Has any one seen one of these rucksacks in the U.S.?

I have a different external frame Swedish Army rucksack that looks like it has the same frame but the bag on only a simple nylon canvas sack with just a flap. No external pockets and actually quite small. You have to carry your sleeping bag strapped to the frame underneath the bag. There are straps on the flap to attach things to the top when it is full and also a couple of small straps, which I take to be for an entrenching tool. The waistbelt is a combination of padded nylon and leather.

I also have two other "Norse" style Swedish Army rucksacks, identical except one is grey canvas, the other green nylon. Actually very nice but the load gets to be a strain when it gets to be as much as 35-40 pounds. Again, too small for a sleeping bag inside but it also came with long leather straps to attach it on top of everything.

I have never been quite happy with waist straps on packs, no matter how practical they might be. It is just the feeling of being strapped in and that pack pulling me one way or the other. Of course, once I get out of the basement and onto a woodland trail, especially a steep one, I stop noticing it so much.

In all fairness, the old so-called Para bergen from 25 years or so ago had no waist strap and it became a little heavy before you had gone very far. But it would hold just about everything and had all sorts of pockets, which I like on a pack. I haven't seen one around in quite a while (here in the US). I never did see any of the other G.S. bergans that were also used back then.

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
theres a shop in bergen that sells the smaller one i think its 35l
i have biught one from them a while ago and sent them a cheque in the post
from my natwest account but he had to put it though a teller and it cost him to get it cashed but he does take credit cards now maybe worth asking if he can come across the same sack they also have a very good website
when i got mine posted it cost an extra £20 on top of price for postage
there website i think is

www.armystore.no

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Short status:
I have spoken to the company and in their usual slow manner I have not yet received any final shipping costs but they promised to get it to me on Monday afternoon :rolleyes: and that probably means around Wednesday...

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
is that for the cooking sets as well, i must say i think you are a ledgen for doing this for evryone mate.:)

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I would like to add my name for the Swedish rucksack order if it is not too late(are you ordering 100L ones or smaller ones?)

Please pm me what the situation is. Thanks

Nomade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE