Swazi Thar Anorak....any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi guys. Ok quick question regarding this jacket. I'm thinking of shelling out (excuse the layering pun) on a decent jacket; either ventile smock or this thing. But assuming I choose the Tahr I just can't decide on the colour!!!
I loved the look of the dark "olive" green at first glance and had my heart set. I imagined lovely pine forests of dark green and me in my lovely new jacket, but after watching episode after episode of Ray whenever he's aired, I keep seeing him look all blended in wearing the tussock green wherever he goes. Is it the "superior" colour?? (seeing how he only sells his version in tussock) Does anyone out there have any opinions on this or am I being a little too picky here? cheers

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
If you get a chance, try on the Tahr before you buy one. I did and didn't like the fit much. It's much more comfortable feeling than most Gore-tex (or similar) jackets, but I went for Ventile instead.

I know what you mean about the colour, Tussock does seem to blend better when you see Mr Mears out and about in his, it's just that I have this odd prejudice against beige :lmao:

kizzer35

Forager
Dec 22, 2007
Devon
Hi,

I got a Swazi Tahr. When you put it on you need to pull up the body before tightening the waist draw string. This results in a slight Friar Tuck look, as the fabric folds over on itself around the waist. The fold is maybe another reason hand warmer pockets aren't added. With the waist hitched up the jacket ends mid thigh. If you are wearing a rucksack the belt will be the line of the fold. If you have a large girth you may attract even more stares and maybe the odd staff fighter or sherrif.

Things I like about this jacket:

100% windproof and waterproof, with no need to worry.
Soft
Quiet
Great hood
really spacious breast pockets

Things I don't like:

I still feel a shade of embarrassed wearing a "famous" jacket. I actually knifed off the bushcraft patch.
Sometimes I feel like an extra from Return of the Jedi.
Neoprene cuffs are a bit soggy. I pull my inner sleeves under the cuffs to stop this.
No much venting.
If let down to its full length you have a waterproof nightgown.

If I get stuck on Dartmoor in foul weather this is, without any doubt, the jacket I want to be wearing. I've worn other gortex gear in awful weather on the moor and it doesn't compare.

If I went to a Bushmoot I'd leave it at home as I'm generally not great at bushcraft and more of a moorland explorer. I think the jacket gets attention.

Before buying think carefully about all the other gear you could get for the same price.

All said this is a great jacket. I only wear it in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE