Svord handle fail...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've seen a few knife scales done cross grain, but personally I don't like seeing it, suppose that's cos I'm a carpenter for a living. We tend to try and hide any cut ends on second fix (the bits that show) items if we can.
If they are glued to something else structural they would be fine but Peasant knife scales need a little flexibility and short grain won't have the required strength.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Today I received two sets of scales from the seller, one very nice walnut pair and one lovel yew pair! The grain is right for the job this time, so hopefully I won't fudge it up!

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
Aye it's a bummer.. I guess I'll learn from it and try to pick more appropriate cuts of wood for any future projects. fancy quoting me a price for a handle job? nothing fancy just the wood I have, some brass liners/pins and a normal shape..? ;)

I gave it some raw linseed oil as it felt very dry to begin with. It was advertised as 'kiln' dried too.

wood likes to be hydrated, so maybe some water content would be better next time. i have a cheap guitar that was dry, so i put it in the bathroom for a few days with some water at the bottom of the bath to make the humidity in the room high (the guitar was not in the bath)

I am not sure how long would be good to soak a handle, because we don't want to wood to be too wet either

humidity level of 50 is good for guitars, so i'm sure that would be good for knife handles too

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Samon
That just makes you want to cry. I'm not sure who you used to get the scales from.
I have used this guy gortwood9188 from the bay a couple of time , seems to be a nice chap.
Just tell him what your after and he will sort you out and not to expensive. Here' a pic of my attempt at doing the same as you.
It's still a work in progress, I used Yew and the grain came up great
2013-05-06+10.52.15.jpg

No connects to the seller just a happy customer.
Bob

Looking good Bob, the knife - not you, yer still ugly:eek:. The grain's really come out, did you use the chopping board oil again?

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Looking good Bob, the knife - not you, yer still ugly:eek:. The grain's really come out, did you use the chopping board oil again?
Yeah you can't beat the Ikea's old chopping board oil and it's food safe too. Still need to do a bit of rounding off but I'm happy with my first attempt at re-handling.
Now just need to get hold of and old SAC as I fancy trying to do a set of wooden scales.
Bob

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Does anyone know where I can buy some ready-made replacement wooden scales for my Peasant? I'm rubbish at woodworking, so there is no point in trying to make my own, but I really would like some decent scales to replace the slightly nasty ones it came with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE