Sussex Bushcraft Group: Febuary Meet on 25th/26th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
We talked about it at the Xmas meet - and decided it would be a little fun. A chance to try a different range of skills (navigation, foraging,etc) and "strip it back" to what it should all be about - carrying less by knowing more!
We could meet at Broadstone on Friday night, then on Saturday take a couple of cars to a start point a few miles away. Then make are way back to Broadstone - but Saturday night you can only use what you have carried in during the day.
We could do it in the warmer months if you like - so you won't have all the extra clothing etc, to carry and could get by with a lighter, smaller sleeping bag. In the summer months this could be done with little more than a bushmans "swag" (tarp, blanket & billycan).
It was just a suggestion and will just be a little "bimble" (not the rigours of "selection" or anything akin to that).
Atb
N

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Four to be precise! Driving to D1! - I think my point is proved Robin. The only kit that comes up by viechle is my "group-kit" (the chute,table and iron ware), my personal bergen has all the bits in to live quite happily with (and I can fit through a standard sized door while wearing it).
N

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I did manage to carry everything I took last time in one go (for a short distance) but that included chair, woodburning stove, jerry can, Kelly kettle, large box of kindling, underquilt, extra sleeping bag, bowsaw... none of which I'd need in the summer.

The first time I camped out I walked in but I've grown to love my creature comforts since... ;)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
We should think about a group meal again, as that was great fun last time. Maybe if we all bring some meat, veg, potatoes etc.. then we can do a big stew or something. I really want to have a go at that Trash Can Turkey way of cooking, but would probably do it with a large chicken. Want to make some more bread if I can get the yeast to rise. looking forward to this one.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
We should think about a group meal again, as that was great fun last time. Maybe if we all bring some meat, veg, potatoes etc.. then we can do a big stew or something. I really want to have a go at that Trash Can Turkey way of cooking, but would probably do it with a large chicken. Want to make some more bread if I can get the yeast to rise. looking forward to this one.

So shall I bring the bin again? Not had a chance to make any more charcoal yet so we'll have to forage some wood.

And the walk in sounds great. How far is the nearest train station? Might make it a bit more of a challenge.

Last edited:

hellobayo

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Redhill
Group meal idea sounds brill. Unfortunately I'm on holiday returning Sat night. If I'm not too jetlagged, I'll pop along on Sunday with my shiny unused meths stove! Hope to see you all soon.

P.S. Bear probably thinks survival thong is for sissies. :) He's welcome to guard my tent any time!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
On the subject of cookware - I've only gone and got myself a Dutch oven. It's only a 4 litre, but thought I might bring it along for a try out and do a lamb stew. Think we've got some home grown neck of lamb in the freezer. Not sure it will feed all of us, but with a trash can chicken too, we might have a meal. Otherwise I can get some chicken thighs and do a chicken casserole in it. Of course you will be taking your life into your own hands as I've never cooked with one before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE