Survival whistles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....When I go for a walk, I give my general route (either a gpx or a "heading to Denge woods"), as well as my expected ETA ("back at 1700") to a trusted friend (who happens to be in the local SAR group). This is my primary source of aid. If I am not back by 1800, someone will come looking....

This sounds like the most obvious and most logical course of action. I only wish it were always possible. The reality is I rarely ever know where I'm going or when I expect to be back. Mind you my trips aren't months long like Joe's or tsitenha's; But I do start out the day simply exploring and may well wind up on the other side of the county from where I originally planned (or even another state over) It's also not uncommon for a spur of the moment decision to extend any given trip by a day or two.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This sounds like the most obvious and most logical course of action. I only wish it were always possible. The reality is I rarely ever know where I'm going or when I expect to be back. Mind you my trips aren't months long like Joe's or tsitenha's; But I do start out the day simply exploring and may well wind up on the other side of the county from where I originally planned (or even another state over) It's also not uncommon for a spur of the moment decision to extend any given trip by a day or two.

In that situation, my personal preference would be to carry a sat comms device that doubles as an PLB - Delome Inreach is on my shopping list - Then you can send a message to your trusted backup saying "heading out", it then relays your position at a set interval, that can be monitored by your colleague. You can then update with simple messages "Heading west towards <grid ref>" I you go quiet, or your signal stops moving, the colleague can call in the Calvary.

That is my personal approach, but then I am paranoid...

Julia

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In that situation, my personal preference would be to carry a sat comms device that doubles as an PLB - Delome Inreach is on my shopping list - Then you can send a message to your trusted backup saying "heading out", it then relays your position at a set interval, that can be monitored by your colleague. You can then update with simple messages "Heading west towards <grid ref>" I you go quiet, or your signal stops moving, the colleague can call in the Calvary.

That is my personal approach, but then I am paranoid...

Julia

Paranoid? Nah. Maybe a bit OCD, but not paranoid.

As for myself, that would mean I'd have to make the satcom an EDC item. Not really within my budget, nor do I really want a leash.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Not OCD, CDO, the letters have to be in the right order.

As for myself, that would mean I'd have to make the sitcom and EDC item. Not really within my budget, nor do I really want a leash.

Ultimately it comes down to what you consider your acceptable level of risk. What is considered acceptable is very much dependant on the person, it's a very individualistic thing.

You pays your money, you takes your risks.

Happy wanderings!

J

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

As for myself, that would mean I'd have to make the sitcom and EDC item. Not really within my budget, nor do I really want a leash.

Which sitcom would you carry, my recommended sitcom would be

cheers-2.jpg

Sorry mate, couldn't resist :p

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Years ago when I worked on outdoor centres a few of the lads got the flat sort of half moon shaped shepherds whistles and used them on sessions. They where great and very loud but try as I might I could never make them work (I have never been able to whistle through my fingers either). I carried my acme thunderer but rearly used it as I am blessed with a shouting voice that would put a drill instructor to shame. I always carry a whistle while mountaineering or if out on the water canoeing, sailing etc but have never had to use one in anger, neither have I ever heard one used as a distress signal and had cause to investigate (not saying they aren't, just that I've never used or heard one). Think I first learnt the 6 blasts, 3 blasts signal back in cubs but have been reminded of it all thought scouts, cadets, My outdoor pursuits career and my time in the TA.

Nowadays I carry a small orange plastic whistle clipped the the ear defenders on my chainsaw helmet every day at work....it gets used several times a week to attract the attention of people on site, climbers up trees and to be heard over the sound of chainsaws working. Just last week I used it to stop a young climber working for me cutting off a large section of a tall pine pole that he'd left his top anchor attached too (meaning when he cut it, it would drop but effectively be tied to him and despite his second anchor may well have pulled him out of the tree....at best it would have been really painful). I watched him put the gob in and thought he'd drop the anchor next...he didn't, he started the back cut. With his saw on full revs he would never have heard me shouting....he did hear the whistle and thankfully stopped and look down. Some of the boys used to laugh at my whistle jangling about on my helmet....now most of them have them ;)

The most times I've ever used a whistle (again my trusty acme thunderer) was back in the early to mid 90's while attending raves ;)

I still think an acorn cup makes the best and most rustic whistle and can be painfully loud if you get the right cup :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

(well impressed a chat about whistles can run into 5 pages lol)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Nowadays I carry a small orange plastic whistle clipped the the ear defenders on my chainsaw helmet every day at work....it gets used several times a week to attract the attention of people on site, climbers up trees and to be heard over the sound of chainsaws working. Just last week I used it to stop a young climber working for me cutting off a large section of a tall pine pole that he'd left his top anchor attached too (meaning when he cut it, it would drop but effectively be tied to him and despite his second anchor may well have pulled him out of the tree....at best it would have been really painful). I watched him put the gob in and thought he'd drop the anchor next...he didn't, he started the back cut. With his saw on full revs he would never have heard me shouting....he did hear the whistle and thankfully stopped and look down. Some of the boys used to laugh at my whistle jangling about on my helmet....now most of them have them ;)

Interesting, when I started my Arboriculture course one of the suppliers sent us all a goody pack, which included a whistle, hadn't thought about it as something loud enough for carry over a chain saw. Think I'll add a whistle to my next order and leave it attached to my ear defenders as you suggest.

Next time the lad does that with the rope, can you film it :p

It's kinda impressive, I've forgotten the original question now. I'm pleased the mods have let the thread run and that even with strong views on both sides, it's all remained civil.

Julia

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'm completely lost trying to understand the whole post! From what I can make out, the op asked about the best whistle to buy and it's turned into a convo about their viability?
My two pennies worth; always have had a whistle through most endeavours and they always get attention. I would go as far as say it's the most under rated piece of kit out there from personal use over rifle fire, chainsaws, weather, SAR, ML and whitewater. Do they work in the hills? Definitely; even a newbie would recognise a whistle blast of any sequence and wonder what it was for. I think it's an ingrained 'red light' for many. If it was a commonplace noise like a phone going off then maybe not an attention grabber

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Has anyone mentioned how far the sound of a whistle will carry in the woods, anyway?

I think the usefulness depends on a few things, like where you are, for instance. Where I go, as an example, it's heavily wooded and generally you have to stay on the trail. So if you need help, it's going to come from someone who is ahead of you and getting further away or from someone behind you who's going to be passing by sooner or later anyway. I'm not saying blowing a whistle will make any difference but that's for when you're out there by yourself.

But if you're out there with a group, large or small, a whistle is probably a good idea unless you've all brought along walkie-talkies. Either way, I've never heard any kind of signal in the woods, whistle, gunshot or siren, unless you count shouting. Some people seem to shout a lot.

At home, it might be more useful, oddly enough. I live in a densely wooded suburban neighborhood. Lots of folks go walking in the woods, with or without a dog. The paths are all fairly near houses. Except for technical rock climbing, there is nearly every kind of terrain within a mile of the back door of my house as there is 75 miles from home on the Appalachian Trail. So, in theory, the same kinds of mishaps could happen. In such an event, a whistle might be even more useful than it would in the woods because of the close proximity of habitations, provided anyone is actually outside, which is problematic. In fact, recently a woman died on such a walk, walking her dog. But she was 73 and she died of a stroke, I believe. Her dog remained with her. She wasn't found for hours.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Years ago when I worked on outdoor centres a few of the lads got the flat sort of half moon shaped shepherds whistles and used them on sessions. They where great and very loud but try as I might I could never make them work (I have never been able to whistle through my fingers either). I carried my acme thunderer but rearly used it as I am blessed with a shouting voice that would put a drill instructor to shame. I always carry a whistle while mountaineering or if out on the water canoeing, sailing etc but have never had to use one in anger, neither have I ever heard one used as a distress signal and had cause to investigate (not saying they aren't, just that I've never used or heard one). Think I first learnt the 6 blasts, 3 blasts signal back in cubs but have been reminded of it all thought scouts, cadets, My outdoor pursuits career and my time in the TA.

The most times I've ever used a whistle (again my trusty acme thunderer) was back in the early to mid 90's while attending raves ;)

I still think an acorn cup makes the best and most rustic whistle and can be painfully loud if you get the right cup :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Mines attached to my helmet; most arborists do the same but I've never heard one being blown; I'm just as guilty! I still try and shout over the noise of a chipper and ground saw strangely!!!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Mines attached to my helmet; most arborists do the same but I've never heard one being blown; I'm just as guilty! I still try and shout over the noise of a chipper and ground saw strangely!!!

Must be an area thing....I do stumps for a lot of other surgeons round here as well as my own work and if 1 in 10 has a whistle (and personal fak for that matter) then I'd be surprised. It's pretty rare for climbers to carry knives up this way too! I used to get laughed at for my fak......but again, not now ;) I'm slowly dragging them all out of the 1970's lol :)

I still get stick fromy lads when I whip out my green laser pointer to confirm with clients where pruning cuts are going to be made lol ....but it's good natured and they can see its better than me sending them back up a tree to make one missed cut ;)

It did take me a while to get used to using the whistle instead of shouting but it's definitely heard better, listened too more and better for my throat lol :)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I saw something over the weekend that I have to tell you all about. It isn't exactly about survival whistles but there is a whistle involved.

My wife's family is the recipient of a lot of old stuff passed down in a large family that had no descendants. My wife's grandmother was the closest relative and she got it all. When she died, it was divided between my wife's mother and her sister. Among the junk was some military gear that belonged to a man who served in the US Army in the WWI period. Later he was headmaster of a military academy in Winchester, Virginia. I have his webbing. It that pre-war "pea green" Mills webbing.

When visiting relatives for Thanksgiving dinner last Thursday, I discovered that my wife's cousin has more of his gear, including his engraved 1902 officer's saber with scabbard and brown leather sword knot. When examining the object of my desires, I noticed the sword knot had a built-in whistle at the end. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a sound out of it and the taste was terrible. But I've never seen anything like it before. Very clever and sort of handy but not strictly speaking a survival whistle. But all whistles, brown wood or orange plastic are for signaling, nothing more unless you're a musician. All that remains is for someone to hear the signal and respond.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE