Survival Tins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I think Mr Wisemans still alive and Wingstoo has alluded to the fact that he's off to see him. Does it matter where it came from I think "Lofty" just popularised the tins in his manual. Bit like Ray didn't invent eating all the tucker and Bear didn't invent being a pillock - just took it to a new level. :pokenest:

I will apologise now and be honest and say I'm kidding on the last two. Both have their place and I have huge amounts of respect for one of them.

TTFN
GB.

Just got back from Loftys' place, nice cup of tea in his kitchen again, the breakfast bar seats are a bit squeaky though.;).. The "Survival tin" is going to be a part of the various talks at bush craft show this year, John is doing one on Fungi this year and someone else is doing the tin...I don't think some of what John said is repeatable on here, except that those who dispute the survival tin don't really understand its concept.

Anyone who goes to the show this weekend can go have a chat with John and I am sure he will give you more info on the reasons for having one...Just say I sent you :cool:

John still has his tin in the top drawer of his kitchen units, though it has been diminished a bit from giving bits away.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The only bit of the tin I don't understand is the Potassium Permanganate.

Not once in any literature I have read does it say weather it makes water potable? You can sterilize water and treat fungal infections but will it kill you if you want a glug of water treated with the stuff?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Im not sure if that's true, im 38 now and when I was 7 I used to spend my time packing and re-packing these,
back when there was no such thing as a celebrity bushcrafter/survivalist, and the only knowledge of the
S.A.S was through the Iranian embassy siege, and even literature was not easy to find, you really had too
search the library for even the scruffiest paper back which you would treat like gold. In a weird way I think
RAMBO had a lot to answer for with the craze in survival knives (button compass, fishing kit in handle).
I must of appeared a strange little boy, packing my granddads old holburn tins will my mates where playing
football.

sounds like we were twins separated at birth!

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Personally. The only thing close to this I carry is a 'tool kit' which contains some para cord, cable ties, duct tape and a few other bits and pieces incase any of my gear gets damaged. I don't see the point in a survival tin tbh other than a knife and firesteel you can make whatever else you need from the land, if you do really need it. Remember improvise, adapt, overcome. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The only bit of the tin I don't understand is the Potassium Permanganate.

Not once in any literature I have read does it say weather it makes water potable? You can sterilize water and treat fungal infections but will it kill you if you want a glug of water treated with the stuff?

You can drink water treated with potassium permangenate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE