Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
To get back on topic
heres a link to a true utility combined mini led light and peanut lighter

could be good for a tin....

MecArmy makes something similar and probably better, though at several times the cost.
Heinnie have them.

Reactions: Minotaur

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Don’t know why BCB changed some of the tin contents to me it’s not as good. The old flint and steel worked and smaller, no first aid kit combined compass and even smaller. Glad I make my own up now just following the same older basic items.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
On a side note, ive got the signal fare launcher as mention in SAS book in the pouch section, does anyone know the legality of carrying this around for emergencies?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Although not a 'survival kit' in the traditional sense, I carry this in my pack all the time, and in my thigh pocket if I dont have my pack, with another ziplok bag containing a days simple ration. The ziplok contains bits and pieces that, should I find myself dislocated from my vehicle, or from my pack, I will be equipped to travel for 24hrs with enough kit to see me through with relative ease.

606cd0b351c18da8722035407d792375.jpg

e94c93cdf60f499d08434ac5bd592738.jpg

Contents are:

Baby wipes.
Small soap.
Toothpaste.
Sol survival blanket.
Windproof matches, in container thats is also a whistle and a simple compass.
Head torch.
Pain killers.
Paracord.
Water purification tablets.
Bic lighter.
Signalling mirror.

The ziplok also doubles as a water container, which holds just over a litre of water.

The aim of the kit is to enable a return on foot to a safe place, not to survive for an extended period of time. You could call it a possibles kit I suppose.....

For those who notice that things are missing, such as a knife, or a ferro rod, those things are always in my pockets, so I do not need a smaller, weaker option in the kit.

Partnered with the 24hr ration, it would suffice.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
new version of survival tin from BCB
Oh my god is that a load of rubbish even the tin. You can get real 2oz tobacco tins from pound land. Her improvements were a really good idea however I would start from scratch.

Although not a 'survival kit' in the traditional sense, I carry this in my pack all the time, and in my thigh pocket if I dont have my pack, with another ziplok bag containing a days simple ration.
I have an EDC tin like that in my pocket everyday and am trying to do it for Bushcraft as well.

ref to modern updates of the pouch version as opposed to the tin version in SAS book
I think a small mess tin fits in one of the 58 webbing pouches perfectly which is what is pictured in the book. I have not tried one in any of the molle pouches I own.
I have 2 thoughts about the expanded kit, these days could you not add a water filter of some kind?
Also I use High5 tablets when cycling which I think would make a great add on to water purification tablets.
You could also add in one of those plastic bad water bottles.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I have 2 thoughts about the expanded kit, these days could you not add a water filter of some kind?
You could also add in one of those plastic bad water bottles.

Sawyer micro squeeze would go well,
these type of bags
push right on the the spigot thing connector.

Also I use High5 tablets when cycling which I think would make a great add on to water purification tablets.

make sure to keep moisture out, kept some in a small ziplock baggy and they went manky
but yep, those type of things are great when its hot, i use Home Bargains brand, tasty too

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
make sure to keep moisture out, kept some in a small ziplock baggy and they went manky
but yep, those type of things are great when its hot, i use Home Bargains brand, tasty too
They good things and you can get them individually wrapped however you cannot buy them like that.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
sealed individual ones would be good, the home bargains ones come in a tube. I cannot overstate how much nicer water is on a hot day with these tablets....
Yeah you can get them in 10 and 20 tubes however they do them in the kits in singles. If you like them and use them a lot, have a look at the sports pursuit website as they do brand deals and have boxes of 20 tablets tubes.
They are great and they a sports drink with almost no calories.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yeah you can get them in 10 and 20 tubes however they do them in the kits in singles. If you like them and use them a lot, have a look at the sports pursuit website as they do brand deals and have boxes of 20 tablets tubes.
They are great and they a sports drink with almost no calories.

Perfect, thanks for the tip...

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Did a quick test inside regarding Palmer furnace.
Put a poncho on me, sat on a low stool (25cm height) and placed a UCO lantern between my legs.
After a short while I could really feel the heat on my chest.

Reactions: Burncycle

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Does anybody offer a rectangular mug with butterfly handles, detachable bail and waterproof clip closure that fits into the leg pouches of the trousers?

I don't understand why we still cram the stuff in cigarillo boxes.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anybody offer a rectangular mug with butterfly handles, detachable bail and waterproof clip closure that fits into the leg pouches of the trousers?

I don't understand why we still cram the stuff in cigarillos boxes.

If you're wanting to have it fit into the leg pouch of a pair of trousers surely thats going to be a really small mug unless the trousers have some sort of TARDIS like qualities.

Interested in what people may come up with but it seems the size of the trouser pouch Vs features that you want are difficult to fulfil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE