Survival Kit Tins or Containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dennis Mapletoft said:
this is a place i use regularly

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk

they have mainly fishing kit in but its also useful for other things too. Yours Den

As a dedicated competition angler as well as bushcrafter, i wouldn't personally go anywhere near Askari (just my opinion), try Harrisons in Lincon, loads of good gear, web addy is www.harrisonstackle.com), go to Specimen Fishing on the drop down menu, then accessories, then Fox and it will come up with loads of different boxes, you could also try searching for Preston Innovations who also make boxes of all sizes, best of all orders placed via the web are delivered free, and are with you in two days, i have used them for hooks, rods, poles (have a look at some of the prices for poles, mine was £2K and that's a mid range one).

BTW i am not affiliated to them in anyway, just over the moon with their service :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I like the look of the Trangia Mess tin over the BCB one.

I am not sure about using plastic because as someone mentioned you cannot cook in them. That said in this world of metal detectors and searches, would I want to be seperated from my first aid stuff, torch, etc? That is the other thing that makes me think a modular kit would be better so you always have the minimium.

I have had trouble getting tobacco tins from shops and have ended up grabbing them when I see them in Poundlands etc.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
I place all my kit into a stainless steel coffee / tea container. At the top, by the opening I have drilled 2 small holes. Into these holes goes a length of steel wire, which helps suspend the tin over a fire. The lid of the tin is lined with rubber to prevent moisture getting in and also makes a nice tight fit. The tin only cost me £2.99 from Wilko’s, so a bargen buy. I know it’s a bit big to fit in most pockets, however it slips nicely into the side pouch of my daysack.

Jason

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Shadow Walker said:
I place all my kit into a stainless steel coffee / tea container. At the top, by the opening I have drilled 2 small holes. Into these holes goes a length of steel wire, which helps suspend the tin over a fire. The lid of the tin is lined with rubber to prevent moisture getting in and also makes a nice tight fit. The tin only cost me £2.99 from Wilko’s, so a bargen buy. I know it’s a bit big to fit in most pockets, however it slips nicely into the side pouch of my daysack.

Jason

Is it round or square?

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
It’s actually round and it fits into a 58 pattern water bottle pouch connected to my belt. But I really don’t think it makes a lot of difference since it carried in a pouch and not in my pocket.

Jason

lignum vitae

May 5, 2005
kernow
Minotaur said:
I am in the process of re-making my survival kits, and I am having weird problems obtaining tins so this thead has three questions in it.

1. What do you use to hold you everyday kit in and where did you get it?

2. I have a kit like the one in SAS Survival handbook, with a small mess tin in it i.e. Brit Army issue. I have seen you can get a small mess tin with lid and was wondering if anyone used this or something else.

3. I am planing to have a modular kit system and was wondering if any one has tried this and what are the drawbacks?
Minotaur this is my take on your design type question.
1. I use my jacket pockets (shirt if its summer/tropical) to hold everyday kit, that way i know where everything is automatically. I have found people reluctant to open nicely, tightly packed tins- let alone want to cook in them if there's an alternative.
2. I cook in a metal mug on short trips, billy can on longer ones.
3. My 1st aid kit lives in a red waterproof bag at the top of whatever pack i carry.
Works for me, ergo, idiot proof. Provided you have your compass (top right pocket) and someone knows when you're due back/roughly where you're going when will we ever need a "survival tin"? Discuss.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
lignum vitae said:
Minotaur this is my take on your design type question.
1. I use my jacket pockets (shirt if its summer/tropical) to hold everyday kit, that way i know where everything is automatically. I have found people reluctant to open nicely, tightly packed tins- let alone want to cook in them if there's an alternative.
2. I cook in a metal mug on short trips, billy can on longer ones.
3. My 1st aid kit lives in a red waterproof bag at the top of whatever pack i carry.
Works for me, ergo, idiot proof. Provided you have your compass (top right pocket) and someone knows when you're due back/roughly where you're going when will we ever need a "survival tin"? Discuss.

It’s a case of, each to their own. Having a tin or some other receptacle allows for easy carriage, compact ability, cooking vessel and peace of mind to the owner. Pockets are fine if that’s your bag, but pockets can get damaged, items can get lost. Saying that I do carry I few items in my pocket, however these are items that I would need straight away.
I my job, survival and the art of surviving is paramount and having the ability to carry a number of resources in one place is also paramount. So not only do I carry equipment in a tin, I also have items stitched inside my smock and have a vast array of kit contained within my belt. Paranoid, no, just making sure I get away before they get me!!!!

Jason

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
lignum vitae said:
Provided you have your compass (top right pocket) and someone knows when you're due back/roughly where you're going when will we ever need a "survival tin"? Discuss.

When you're in the hills, and the weather closes in :eek:

I may travel light, but I like to think I'm safe.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I use these
I can get 6 of them into a web tex side pouch plus a candle, firesteel, firepiston, sewing kit etc..
I got six of these from Matalan for £3.00 but I saw them last Saturday in Morrisons

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like altoid tins for mini kits. I tend to carry them in a vinyl pouch, along with a heavy duty baggy. One of the reasons I like altoid tins is because some of my knife sheaths have a pouch exactly sized for an altoid tin. In that case, I omit the vinal pouch but do slip a rolled up baggy in the pouch along with the kit.

altoids2b.jpg

I also like leather pouches for neck kits.

minineckkit1b.jpg

minikit1c.jpg

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Got to ask yourself, what do you need it for? In my previous job, space was paramount so I carried a small tin (tobacco sized) sealed with tape. In it was stuff that addressed, loosely, the priorities of survival, stuff like asprin, safety pins, candle, lighter, razor blade, torch and puri tabs. This was augmented by pocket contents (knife, hat, gloves, compass, etc) and finally a small day sack with the 'luxury' items (goretex, etc). That way, I always had something of use on my person. Now space isn't at a premium, I carry pocket contents (modularized to the environment) and a day sack. If you are to carry a tin, here's my thoughts:

1. Should be on your person at all times (therefore small and waterproof). If you carry it in your jacket, and regularly take your jacket off, what's the point?
2. It should contain items not easily made/obtained in the wilds.
3. Items, where possible, should be multi functional.
4. Take it into the woods for one night with cock all else. If you survive, well done, you got it right! But if you think 'no way', then again, what's the point? Only miniturize and scrimp if absolutely necessary. "Any c*** can be uncomfortable..." :D

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Roy's Badger said:
Got to ask yourself, what do you need it for? In my previous job, space was paramount so I carried a small tin (tobacco sized) sealed with tape. In it was stuff that addressed, loosely, the priorities of survival, stuff like asprin, safety pins, candle, lighter, razor blade, torch and puri tabs. This was augmented by pocket contents (knife, hat, gloves, compass, etc) and finally a small day sack with the 'luxury' items (goretex, etc). That way, I always had something of use on my person. Now space isn't at a premium, I carry pocket contents (modularized to the environment) and a day sack. If you are to carry a tin, here's my thoughts:

1. Should be on your person at all times (therefore small and waterproof). If you carry it in your jacket, and regularly take your jacket off, what's the point?
2. It should contain items not easily made/obtained in the wilds.
3. Items, where possible, should be multi functional.
4. Take it into the woods for one night with cock all else. If you survive, well done, you got it right! But if you think 'no way', then again, what's the point? Only miniturize and scrimp if absolutely necessary. "Any c*** can be uncomfortable..." :D

The kit that you carried in your tin “very loosely” covers the survival priorities:
(Protection, Location, Water, Food)
My current employment depends on having the knowledge, Equipment & will-power to survive. Space is paramount, but so is surviving a live hunter force & sustaining life.

Any c*** can be uncomfortable, but only a fool is unprepared.

Jason

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
MM,

I think Bardster is right, they are a small pair of tweesers, I've got some somewhere but I can't remember where I put them. Nice looking kit Hoodoo, mine is in a tin thats slightly larger than tobacco tin, sealed with tape to waterproof it.

Brian

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The plan so far goes like this:

To sort an Altoid tin for everyday carry, with a bottle of water and my leatherman or multi blade pen knife(in the true sense it is like one of those small swiss army knifes), I should be ok for city carry. Like the idea of the neck pouches, but know it would drive me mad. Make a leather pouch for the tin so it is always on my belt. Might make one of those bandannas with the carry pouch, but will carry a bandanna.

I think, there needs to be something here. Maybe a bigger or wild survival kit and/or a bigger first aid kit.

To sort two cooking containers(either the trangia mess tin or a trip to Wilco) and create three kits with the following in them: fire lighting, fishing(the set up that has been recomened before, I think), first aid, survival, and food kits. One for general use, one for possibilites bag, and one in my 72 hour kit kit. Need to think long and hard if I want to replicate my knives/saw across all three.

Hoodoo, Hate you big time. Everyone should go visit his site and go to articles and look at the wide angle lens ones, so you too can feel jealous. I will get out the first weekend in November if it kills me. By the way on this page - various1.htm, I could not see the top two pictures. Reason for hatred, the new proper camera has still got the first film in it, I will make time to get back in the groove so I can at least try to take pictures that good.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
As an ex soldier I understand the importance of a good small survival / E&E kit that can be stashed around your person and in a small tin. These had two purposes, the 1st is so you had it with you all the time the 2nd is to try to beat a cursory search by your captors when they strip you of your battle kit. A survival tin is great for this environment but…

I now choose to carry a little bit more kit in the form of a possibles kit that I always take with me when I move away from my pack.

possiblesbag6ii.jpg

I also keep some items in my pockets

pocketkit1rp.jpg

The millbank bag is normally in the possibles bag along with my metal mug and some trail snacks.

This system works very well for me by ensuring that I have suitable equipment with me whilst carrying out my camp routine, foraging or leaving the camp/kit stash area for any length of time.

I have tested this kit on a couple of occasions by doing a forced camp using only this kit and it has worked fine but then it would because apart from the knife they are all luxuries in a survival situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE