Survival is all about a good cup of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I used to think I was cursed with insomnia. About thirty years later I discovered that tea keeps me from falling asleep, and now I realize that this is a great blessing. I can use tea to control when I get sleepy, so that I don't die from failing to pay attention to my surroundings. I have to plan when I want to sleep, because I have to stop drinking tea a few hours before that, but I can busy myself until I'm ready to sleep for example by preparing the sleeping place and the next brew after I wake up. Tea also seems to help me to think more clearly, although I suppose that's really just saying that when I'm drowsy I don't think very clearly. My tea brewing kit is an absolute must when I do any kind of a journey.

Good read , thanks.

Priorities, I think the rule of three is the easiest from what I have read so far to remember.

- 3 seconds : The maximum time you have to escape or take action on an immediate danger.
- 3 minutes : The average time you can survive without breatheable air.
- 3 hours : The time before you start dying from hypothermia or hyperthermia in a stessful and extreme situation.
- 3 days : The time before dehydratation can claim your life because of lack of water.
- 3 weeks : The time before you cannot do any daily necessary task because of lack of food.
- 3 months : The time without meeting anybody else before a solid depression catches you.

The scale is more important than the numbers, (like one can live more than 7 days at 19 C without water...) but it is the scale that is interesting.

Sorry, my 2 cents...

Hi there mate. I know you say the scale isn't so important, but as i was reading this the rule 'three weeks without food rule' is probably a sensible rule. But this is one i have quite some experience with. I used to have a problem with fasting believe it or not; i won't bore you with the story as to how. But i my worse i would do 40 day water fasts, sometimes i did several with only two or three weeks of eating vegetables in between - needless to say i had problems. That's all sorted now though. But i can say you can it takes much longer than three weeks before you loose the energy, indeed by that point you have improved energy as your body is not using energy to digest food, instead it goes into a state called ketosis, which is burning fat. You do have a greater thirst and your sleeping pattern get really messed up however. But you do become mentally more alert and much sharper. This is probably why a lot of eastern philosophies and religions recommend fasting. Even towards the end of my 40 days, you still have energy to do things, you just find yourself needing regular naps. Western societies do seem to have a fear of being without food, probably because we are so used to having it in abundance and there as been no scientific research into it, mainly because there is no money to be made in it!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
With the spare provisons most of us carry nowadays it will be a while before we start cannibalising our own muscle.

Are you familair with the obese young man who was on a water and vitamin pill diet and fasted for over a year? He remained in good health throughout.

He was supervised by American physicians and this is not an internet hoax. Infact I do not think it is on the net.

With the spare provisons most of us carry nowadays it will be a while before we start cannibalising our own muscle.

Are you familair with the obese young man who was on a water and vitamin pill diet and fasted for over a year? He remained in good health throughout.

He was supervised by American physicians and this is not an internet hoax. Infact I do not think it is on the net.

No Bod I was not aware of that, very interesting. This makes a good point for taking vitimins with you in a long term survival situation. I already have a supply, as I am conserned about vit C deficiency.
Regards, Le Loup.
PS. How is the weather in the west? Getting cold yet?

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Unfortunately going without any food for 3 weeks, the body starts to feed on muscle, and your heart is a muscle.

IIRC, the body feeds on muscle when it needs fast energy or runs out of fat. So if you're pushing yourself hard (like forced marches) or have gone through all your fat.

Not 100% on it, but makes sense.

Dave

IIRC, the body feeds on muscle when it needs fast energy or runs out of fat. So if you're pushing yourself hard (like forced marches) or have gone through all your fat.

Not 100% on it, but makes sense.

Dave

Well it is our winter here now, and our trekking season starts this weekend, so perhaps I will start to lose a little weight again!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Checked out your site, you are very tallented. I love the belt pouches, good way to carry one's tinderbox.
Very impressed!
Regards, Le Loup.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

Thank you, kind of you to say so, Le Loup. You may not have realised, we have already communicated through my blog on a few occasions recently. I often use your blog as a source of historical information.

Thank you, kind of you to say so, Le Loup. You may not have realised, we have already communicated through my blog on a few occasions recently. I often use your blog as a source of historical information.

Yes I had realised jojo, but I don't think I had seen the items on your site before. Anyway, such talent deserves praise, I wish I was half as good.
Regards, Le Loup.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I believe you make your own luck, Freebird! I prefer to rely on the kind of luck that comes with consideration and preparedness.

My playground is where a few good men and women voluntarily go out into the mountains in terrible conditions in the hope of rescuing those who hoped they'd be lucky.
The only luck you'll find out there is bad-luck!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE