Good read , thanks.
Priorities, I think the rule of three is the easiest from what I have read so far to remember.
- 3 seconds : The maximum time you have to escape or take action on an immediate danger.
- 3 minutes : The average time you can survive without breatheable air.
- 3 hours : The time before you start dying from hypothermia or hyperthermia in a stessful and extreme situation.
- 3 days : The time before dehydratation can claim your life because of lack of water.
- 3 weeks : The time before you cannot do any daily necessary task because of lack of food.
- 3 months : The time without meeting anybody else before a solid depression catches you.
The scale is more important than the numbers, (like one can live more than 7 days at 19 C without water...) but it is the scale that is interesting.
Sorry, my 2 cents...
With the spare provisons most of us carry nowadays it will be a while before we start cannibalising our own muscle.
Are you familair with the obese young man who was on a water and vitamin pill diet and fasted for over a year? He remained in good health throughout.
He was supervised by American physicians and this is not an internet hoax. Infact I do not think it is on the net.
Unfortunately going without any food for 3 weeks, the body starts to feed on muscle, and your heart is a muscle.
IIRC, the body feeds on muscle when it needs fast energy or runs out of fat. So if you're pushing yourself hard (like forced marches) or have gone through all your fat.
Not 100% on it, but makes sense.
Thank you, kind of you to say so, Le Loup. You may not have realised, we have already communicated through my blog on a few occasions recently. I often use your blog as a source of historical information.
We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels
You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES
The price is £27 and you can pay via the paypal button below.