surplusandadventure misadventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
MagiKelly said:
Remember that Legally if someone sends you something you have not asked for, after 6 months it is yours. If you inform them you have it and ask them to collect it, you own it after 3 months. It is their responsability to come and collect it at a reasonable time and there is no requirement for you to go out of your way to be in to hand it over. So persue your refund but as to the jacket they sent you, the onus is on them to come and get it

John

Thanks for the legal tip. Frankly, unless they send the tent poles aswell, the jacket is useless to me!! [See pics below] They will need to send additional funds or an SAE for the return of this item.

I will recheck with Barclaycard today, and will proceed with the Small Claims Court at week's end if the full £49.95 has not been returned to my card.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
HURRAH

Finally, today I have received a refund of £49.95 on my Barclaycard! Many thanks to all on this forum for your encouragement and support in my quest to secure the monies owed to me.

I honestly believe that publication of my difficulties with S&A in this forum brought about the requisite change in attitude of their management. Our collective buying power and the wider audience we inevitably share our experiences with is a mighty tool in the customer service marketplace. Caveat [sloppy] venditor!

Vince

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
zambezi said:
HURRAH

Finally, today I have received a refund of £49.95 on my Barclaycard! Many thanks to all on this forum for your encouragement and support in my quest to secure the monies owed to me.

I honestly believe that publication of my difficulties with S&A in this forum brought about the requisite change in attitude of their management. Our collective buying power and the wider audience we inevitably share our experiences with is a mighty tool in the customer service marketplace. Caveat [sloppy] venditor!

Vince

Did you get an apology from them as well?

Simon

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
simonsays said:
Did you get an apology from them as well?

Simon

Er...no. In fact the only two emails I have received since January arrived last week and were contradictory in content. They also seem to reflect the fact that the front and back office at S&A are not in step. [see a copy below]

I will not hold my breath for either an apology or the requisite SAE to return the unwanted goods. [I have emailed this requirement via the web interface and also to their alternate address: Adventureshop@aol.com on 4 occasions in the last week]

And if S&A do not make provision for the return of these goods within an appropriate interval, then Jon is welcome to the jacket.

Vince

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
I've used them once before and delivery was slow. I was looking at their site last night thinking of ordering from them but I'll look else where :eek: ...glad I read this. Thanks guys

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have to say that this sounds really grim...

I'm in no way against what's been said as I feel this place is usually an excellent place for this kind of information.

My own experience has been very positive from them however. Looking at the previous posts regarding their sevice it seems that any clothing or items that would require sizing has been a problem.

I have only ordered "stuff" from them, a bag, lantern, stove and some other bits and bobs...

As this is all pretty standard, I have had no reason to try and change or return any items so maybe just think twice about buying clothing or just call them to have someone actually check the exact individual item you want is available and correct.

I will be buying from them again because the prices are so good but based on this thread and others, I don't think i'll be buying any clothing.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers

Joe

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Squidders said:
I have to say that this sounds really grim...

I'm in no way against what's been said as I feel this place is usually an excellent place for this kind of information.

My own experience has been very positive from them however. Looking at the previous posts regarding their sevice it seems that any clothing or items that would require sizing has been a problem.

I have only ordered "stuff" from them, a bag, lantern, stove and some other bits and bobs...

As this is all pretty standard, I have had no reason to try and change or return any items so maybe just think twice about buying clothing or just call them to have someone actually check the exact individual item you want is available and correct.

I will be buying from them again because the prices are so good but based on this thread and others, I don't think i'll be buying any clothing.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers

Joe

Joe

You may have a point here. My difficulties with S&A [and others in this thread] seem to stem primarily from wrong size clothing being sent or omissions from orders.

That said, the problems tabled here are not just about getting the order wrong in the first place. The big frustration here is the complete absence of service once I had advised them that they had made a mistake. And I did not get remedy by [repeated] private communication, I had to go public.

So whilst your strategy to avoid buying clothing may prevent a lot of hassle in the first place, I cannot see that any after sales problems you might have with non-clothing items will be accorded better treatment.

Vince

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I always think that what differentiates good from bad companies is how they handle things and their attitude to customers when things go wrong. I too have often looked at their website and considered ordering from them, but on the basis of all that been said here, certainly won’t be doing so now.

These day’s with the web I tend to order quite a bit of stuff that has to be posted. The mercurial nature of the postal service is bad enough, let alone companies that have no notion of customer service.

I’m not sure if this exists on here already, but we could all fairly easily establish a list of recommended companies. I have previously been surprised at some companies attitude, that if they send you things that are either faulty or they’ve sent you the wrong item, then they expect you to incur the cost of returning said items!

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have had problems aswell a year or so back this this company
i use strikeforcesupplies.co.uk if i need ex army kit now
they are fast and send the right kit and the stuff is excellent

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE