Mahoganys (Part of Shoreline Online Clothing) Resolved

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was looking for a Devold Nansen Sweater from the UK. Not a cheap item but a bit of an indulgence that I have fancied for a while.

A Google search brought up a Website called Mahoganys and their Google Ad said they had a 20% discount on all Devold Clothing with a Discount Code given in the Ad. That seemed to be a saving of £35 which seemed quite reasonable.

I looked at the goods on the site but there was no sign of anywhere to apply the discount code.

Looking deeper into the site I found this note under Shop and Payments:

"For discounts follow the lead through to the Paypal page and enter your card details on their secure portal (N.B. we never see any of your card details). It will not take your payment at this stage although it looks like you are being charged for the entire full RRP. Confirm that you are happy with payment details and click "review", it will then take you back to our discount page. Enter your discount code and press enter and it will show you your order with the discount deducted. You will then be charged just for the discounted amount.

Any problems please contact our helpline."

The problems started when I confirmed the payment on PayPal... No "Review" link just a completion of the sale with no discount.

I rang the "Helpline" first thing in the morning, this turned out to be a switchboard that only takes messages. I left one message but received no reply.

Next day I left another message saying that I wanted to avoid lodging a PayPal complaint because I was sure we could resolve the matter if someone rang me back. Sure enough someone did ring back and they said they did not understand what had happened, the sweater had already been sent but they would of course honour the discount and correct the payment with PayPal.

The sweater arrived a couple of days later and I watched my PayPal account for 7 days but still no discount...

Today I rang them again and made it quite clear that I was unhappy. Would somebody please ring me back. No Reply.

I rang again and said that if I did not hear within an hour I would send the goods back for a full refund. No Reply.

I rang again and said that if I did not hear within the next half hour I would also post details of this scam on every internet forum I use. No Reply so here it is.

Update: I lodged a complaint with PayPal and the proprietor finally came through with the discount.

My advice, if you do business with this company, do it on the phone and make sure you talk to the proprietor not the switchboard.

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sorry to hear that,if you are sending the item back and fancy looking at another option/item have you looked at the North sea clothing jumpers??(Rik uk3 put me on to them) i bought one from there, and its very high quality, they are currently being used in the discovery channels prog about Shackleton(recreating his epic survival voyage)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the heads up Wayland - I'm not much bothered if its incompetence or impropriety - I'd sooner not deal with people like that. Appreciate the info.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think the threat of being BcUKed had something to do with it as well.

As far as I can see it was more to do with inefficiency and lack of communication in the end but I'm used to better service from the suppliers we use around here.

I have to admit though, it's a nice product.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Gulp! I've just ordered a similar thing from this lot - a Nansen jumper, if I remember rightly. Payment was made on the 'phone and I am now awaiting the arrival of the garment. Their switchboard arrangement seemed just the wrong side of chaotic and I have a feeling that there will be a discrepancy between the amount that they advertised the jumper for and the sum charged to my Visa card. Time and the paperwork will tell all too soon.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its a good job you were on your toes Gary because if there was some intent, on behalf of any seller to abuse the system which Paypal are allowed to use, this would be the way to do it.

I use Paypal, and I've been caught out before by buying stuff, then not reporting it in the timeframe which is within my refund guarantee period.

Just to take the spotlight off the E-tailer, I think one of the issues is that Paypal will NOT refund a person if they dont make a claim within 45 days of purchase.

If memory serves, its 120 days, by law, for any debit card, and up to 3 years under section 75 of the the consumer credit act if you use a credit card to purchase an item.

Paypal are part of the problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE