Stamford Components Amazon seller warning.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Just in case anyone also falls foul of using this company I'd like to share my experience of a recent transaction. I bought a portable solar charger unit for £45 from the company and was advised of a three week delivery window. This came and went. A package was received four days after which instead of my ordered goods contained the invoice for my order and a Podium mobile phone spider holder worth I would estimate £5. I photographed the item received and contacted the seller by email attaching the photos. He advised that he could not send out the ordered item until he had received the incorrect goods back. No problem. Somewhat disgruntled by the delay anticipated in receiving my goods I posted off the wrongly received goods in the original packaging recorded delivery which it now seems the post office have surprise surprise lost.

I contacted seller who advises that I need to set about making a claim against the Post office and that he is disputing my claim for money back for my item paid for as the seller in my opinion has been at fault. Amazon initially replied that I would get my money back but have today contacted me by email to advise that they are rejecting my claim!!! I then replied to this email and received back yet another curt message from the seller stating they were disputing my claim.

So here I am £45 plus £1.85 recorded delivery costs down and no goods. It seems that Amazon are going down a very rocky slope here as they seem to be wrongly backing their seller due in my opinion, to taking their cut of alot of cheap electronic products being sent by them. Too late in the day I checked the seller feed back and saw that there are a great many buyers who have received wrong goods and were not refunded for goods not received.

Therefore Caveat emptor.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks for the heads up regards dave
it seems to me we should have a bad company sticky on this forum what do you think moderators

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Not sure if it's still true, but I believe that If they sent you the goods in error, you may consider it a gift, and they must still honour the contract to supply you with the goods you ordered.

I would contest the transaction.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Here you go...you need to read the relevant bits of the sale of goods act. http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained

Section 11 is what you want. Hope it helps.

Hi Cave_dweller,

Yes well as the item they mistakenly sent me was worth around an estimated £5. I thought they'd say -just keep it- and we'll send the correct stuff- the usual seemingly old fashioned good customer service i'm used to. But i sent it straight back and the good old post office it seems have lost it. Regardless of this i'm amazed that Amazon seem to base their arbitration on commercial interest as opposed to what is right. A bit like their way of allowing people to review items not yet released, just pure dishonesty. I know no doubt people will say all the reasons why people think its a good idea to be able to review items before they have been released anywhere in the world but in my humble opinion that is not on. I have already had them remove comments for supporting someone for pointing this out on their forum so it seems that at Amazon when push comes to shove, honest is pretty low on their list of priorities.

Clearly this opinion is based on first hand personal witness and is not necessarily the view of the owners of this BushcraftUK.

PS CD thanks for the legislation link. Greatly appreciated. Although the site is currently down for routine maintenance.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I tend to avoid ordering items via Amazon that are not dispatched by Amazon.

Atleast that means Amazon have the product in the warehouses for shipping.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Over the years I've had the odd wrong item. I never simply send it back but insist the seller either sends a courier or tells me what will happen if it's lost when I send it back. If the item isn't worth much they always tell me to keep it as it's not worth their time. I'm not being harsh but if a seller makes a mistake I don't want to wait around for several weeks while they process a return. It's also advisable to use a credit card of course.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Over the years I've had the odd wrong item. I never simply send it back but insist the seller either sends a courier or tells me what will happen if it's lost when I send it back. If the item isn't worth much they always tell me to keep it as it's not worth their time. I'm not being harsh but if a seller makes a mistake I don't want to wait around for several weeks while they process a return. It's also advisable to use a credit card of course.

Hi slowworm,

Thanks for response. I did indeed contact the seller first to advise the item had not arrived three weeks after being advised the item had been sent and then again when the wrong item was received. It was the seller who said send it back and I will send you the correct item and when i stated that he should be sending me the correct goods i ordered immediatly as i had already waited over three weeks to receive the wrong item, he said he would not send it until the item was sent back. Suspecting a situation developing i sent the item recorded delivery which as it turns out is a complete waste of money as they loose it in the Royal Mail anyway. Having as i say now looked through the seller feed back (yes i should have checked it before i bought it i now know), i see that between alot of good reviews, there are also numerous negative feed back comments suggesting that this seems like a policy of the sellers (perhaps a way of getting round an out of stock item as a stalling technique) or perhaps simply extrodinarily poor customer service and dare i say it dishonest policy.

Unfortunatly i do not own a debit card- never a borrower nor a lender be.

i think this is simply a case of you live and learn and i have learnt to a) never use Stamford again for the obvious reason and b) never use Amazon again as they are the commercial monster i always anticipated these conglomerate company's would become once they had annialated the opposition.

Sorry everyone for venting more spleen but for evil to take over all it takes is for the good men to stay silent (paraphasing)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've said it before, but

"Small Claims Court"

Fill in a simple form, assemble your evidence, turn up at the court, win. It is that simple.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
If the wrong item was sent then it's up to the seller to arrange collection at their expense. Not your problem.

You should not end up out of pocket.

I've sent you a PM

Hope it helps

Grebby

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've said it before, but

"Small Claims Court"

Fill in a simple form, assemble your evidence, turn up at the court, win. It is that simple.

Although you have to pay fees and it may not be simple. Admittedly the only time I've used the small claims channel in the county court it was a more complex case but I found the courts far from easy to deal with (they made more than one error in processing our case). In a case like this you're really expecting them to not turn up but then you'll have to take further steps to recover the money.

Really credit card is the simpler way, and pay it off on DD so you're not in debt.

Edit to add, are you going to claim the costs from the RM? If they have lost the item then you should get all your costs back from them.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE