Surplus shop miserable tight sods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I totally agree! I work for what is generally regarded in the retail sector as a very nice employer, and even so, we hear people working with us complaining. It must be much worse elsewhere.

Working in retail is often very demanding, there is a great deal to learn and retain, not just product knowledge but also systems and procedures, and although most of my customers are great, not all are. Nobody is perfect, and we all make mistakes, but we generally do our best. We were talking the other day at work, and it was generally agreed that everyone should have to work a couple of weeks in a shop or somewhere that deals with members of the public - everyone would be a bit nicer as a result!

It must be very depressing working for somewhere like Sports Direct - zero hours contract, a company culture that doesn't seem to care much for either the employee or the customer, and I suspect fairly high staff turnover. If somewhere is good, and nurtures their staff, they are happier, and will do a better job all round. Sadly, a mixture of 'pile it high, sell it cheap', the constant worry of meeting profits when margins are very tighter and costs are rising, and the brutal pressure from the internet (I really hate showrooming) all have a cost.

Retail is a skill, and it should be better understood and rewarded. How well rewarded will be seen by the size of my bonus!

Last edited:

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Since I loathe and detest shopping it's rare to come across someone grumpier than myself.
When I do however I think to myself I have no idea what has happened before they met me, do they have bad toothache, their pet just died or maybe someone drove into the back of their car on the way to work.
I wouldn't want to make someones day worse so I'll be polite, give them a big smile and a cheery thank you and be happy my shopping trip is done with and I can go do something I enjoy.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Given Ray Mears is such a wonderful chap I'm off to the Woodlore store to try my luck.

Bear with me folks and pray I don't get a grylling!

Cheers

K

Last edited:

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
When I lived in Portsmouth I used to frequent Sabre Sales in Southsea. It was three floors spread across two buildings, and a courtyard, and at least one basement, packed to the rafters with all kinds of surplus everything. It was, however, a health and safety nightmare. Like Steptoe and Son, but with lower standards. I remember climbing up piles and piles of military coats and digging through till I found the one I wanted (RAF Officer's Greatcoat). Trying to climb back down after disturbing everything was precarious, but I loved it. The Captain said there were items in the piles he hadn't seen since he put them there in the eighties. He just kept piling more on top. As far as I know, the shop had closed now. I do wonder what happened to all his stock. There was more surplus stock than I've ever seen, so many things that I wish I had bought.

I've never found a surplus store like it, and I doubt I ever will.

Alex

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Car boots and such ARE for haggling...thats what its all about surely.
Well that’ll be why they aren’t for me – I was being haggled while I was unloading and the sob stories I got from the rabble were ridiculous – I wasn’t handing out goods from a UN truck…

These people weren’t genuine at all – I learned from a regular they were just chancers who buy stuff up cheap and resell it - sometime there and then….

I'll go every now and then as a buyer but never again have a stall

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
When I lived in Portsmouth I used to frequent Sabre Sales in Southsea. It was three floors spread across two buildings, and a courtyard, and at least one basement, packed to the rafters with all kinds of surplus everything. It was, however, a health and safety nightmare. Like Steptoe and Son, but with lower standards. I remember climbing up piles and piles of military coats and digging through till I found the one I wanted (RAF Officer's Greatcoat). Trying to climb back down after disturbing everything was precarious, but I loved it. The Captain said there were items in the piles he hadn't seen since he put them there in the eighties. He just kept piling more on top. As far as I know, the shop had closed now. I do wonder what happened to all his stock. There was more surplus stock than I've ever seen, so many things that I wish I had bought.

I've never found a surplus store like it, and I doubt I ever will.

Alex
bought online from him in the past - had no idea what I'd put him through!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Frankly, the average charity shop looks like Harrods compared with the bulk of them. My local one is very small, and crammed with stuff. Ok for a rummage, but not customer friendly to someone in a hurry. Most surplus stores smell of surplus, and look like a military jumble sale. Grotty is generally the look, with homemade signs, a front window that hasn't be changed since 1985, often crude fittings (or 5th hand) and camoflague netting everywhere (why?). The changing rooms, if they have one, tend to be on the crude side.

Ah yes but that is what I like about Army Surplus Stores, perhaps it is nostalgia for the old days when milk came in bottles and was delivered to the doorstep My dad wore it to work, Students wore it at Uni and everybody wore it to do the gardening cos it was cheap and hard wearing and no worries about getting it dirty or chucking it away when it was falling off you.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
As a retail business owner, who has struggled. I can see both sides.
However, stock without a RRP, or a use by/sell by date. Stock that is often used and beyond its best days, or where I myself have to rummage, for a good example. Well I think that is fair game for a barter.
All the sales staff have to say is "sorry thats the lowest I can go"
People skills, are a massive part of making a small retail business, a success.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well that’ll be why they aren’t for me – I was being haggled while I was unloading and the sob stories I got from the rabble were ridiculous – I wasn’t handing out goods from a UN truck…

These people weren’t genuine at all – I learned from a regular they were just chancers who buy stuff up cheap and resell it - sometime there and then….

I'll go every now and then as a buyer but never again have a stall

I know what you mean, I have a very low "foolometer" in that I don't suffer idiots, that's why I won't have a stall.

Rob

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I'm just speaking as someone who works part-time in retail, and who actually likes buying stuff from surplus stores (although I have no real use for 90% of it).

As a customer, I'm simply saying - make life easy for us.

When I pass a surplus store, the first thing I notice is often the window display. All too many (including my local one) have that weird anti fading plastic stuff on the window (have you seen a proper shop using this stuff?), so everything looks slightly orange. Even so, often the display stuff is faded - the one that used to be about 20min walk away from me seemingly wasn't changed in the 6 years that I shopped there.

Outside there are often pretty tatty Infantry bergens, plus possible a dump basket or two full of old boots, etc. Then you go inside. Often a depressing amount of Web Tex, etc (OK, so they have to make a living), and stuff crammed in every space. I know rents are high, and you've got to make every inch count, but I know just how much I hate Sports Direct (for so many reasons), in part because everything is crammed into as little space as possible - just trying to walk around the place is a trial. Sometimes less is more.

Third or fourth hand shop fittings, old dummies, and the smell of surplus (OK, I quite like that, but there are limits), often lots of dust (Laurence Corner had the air of Miss Faversham's house), plus the almost inevitable camo nets. Why camo nets? You know its a surplus place - you don't need to go overboard.

And then there are the prices. As I said, mines pretty good, but some are just taking the mick. Using 'SAS', Special Forces' or 'Tactical' on a badly written sign doesn't justify a stupid price.

What I'd like to see is a light airy shop (you know, not dingy), well kept and stuff easy to find. The sort of fittings and layout that you'd find in a proper shop, and no camo nets. A changing room (if there is space) that doesn't make you think you need a jab afterwards if you use it. Reasonable prices, and a clear explaination of what it is. Also an easy way to pay - my local one only takes cash. They seem to be doing OK (they get a lot of trade from blokes about to go on tour, reinactors, etc), but if I spot a mint 68 Pattern Para smock, thats going to set me back £50 or more - I certainly don't have that sort of cash on me, but if I can pay by card, then I might well go for it.

If a surplus store had the sort of fittings and look of the average Oxfam, with perhaps some framed military posters on the wall, and a decent window display, they'd probably do quite well. It would certainly be more welcoming.

The other surplus store in my area closed down a couple of years ago, and the bloke apparently now sells via Ebay. There were probably a lot of reasons it closed down (poor location and no parking, for a start), but it was amazingly depressing inside. And if you were polite and listened to him, you'd be there for hours. Thats not surprising - the last time I went in, he admitted I was his fifth customer...all week. I can see why the net looked like a better bet to him, but he didn't help himself either.

Everyone in retail really has to work a lot harder now, including me. And that includes surplus stores as well.

May be you should open a shop you are obviously an expert.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah yes but that is what I like about Army Surplus Stores, perhaps it is nostalgia for the old days when milk came in bottles and was delivered to the doorstep......

Don't mean to hijack the thread but do you mean milk is no longer delivered there? They stopped here decades ago (the last place I know of was New Orleans in the early 1960s) but I had good memories of the deliveries when I was in England in the 80s. Sad to learn it's over.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I always try and use one shop in particular. They are a workware / suplus store. Most workware is walk in custom and the surplus is mainly internet. I have bought
a fair bit from them over the last couple of years and will always go to them first for anything I need.

One time I had just bought my son an MTP basha from somewhere else and popped in to see if if they had the stuff sacks for them. Its a family business and the dad of the family was in there.
Bearing in mind I have only seen him once or twice before, asked him if he had one and he dug out a new one and gave it to me FOC. I know its not an expensive item, but its one of the reasons
I will always go there first.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
May be you should open a shop you are obviously an expert.

No, I'm just someone who is a customer, and who wants such shops to actually survive - and that means looking around to see what the rest of the retail sector is doing. If too few people go to a shop, because its too expensive, looks dingy, disorganised, etc, it dies.

Rabbitsmacker perfectly summed up the hassles and pressures of retail today, plus the particular problems of dealing with surplus:

Let me also add that military gear is a very specific product with limited appeal, we all love it but its not mainstream products. Its not food or drink, its not consumables, it doesnt wear out very quickly, its not essential kit, its not sports related, it has no branding or advertising drumming up demand, it isn't fashionable in most cases, it isnt high value, it isnt jewellery, it generally excludes female buyers and young buyers, its not pretty or trendy, your mates are all in river island spending their beer tokens on jeans to help pull a fit bird on a saturday, why would you spend the same money on webbing or a pup tent that you may not use! (Im generalising sorry) . Without clever selling it is a tricky product.

Exactly - nobody needs surplus. So if your trying to sell it, you have to do it the best way you can.

Rabbitsmacker - since I assume your still interested in retail, you need to read this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles . That article is a couple of years old, but someone still tweets pics of rubbish shop floor layouts from Sears, etc. My wife was in the States a couple of weeks ago, and bought some stuff in Sears - she confirmed that it was tatty and unkempt. That article really should be a warning to anyone in retail of what not to do.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Exactly - nobody needs surplus. So if your trying to sell it, you have to do it the best way you can.

Rabbitsmacker - since I assume your still interested in retail, you need to read this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles . That article is a couple of years old, but someone still tweets pics of rubbish shop floor layouts from Sears, etc. My wife was in the States a couple of weeks ago, and bought some stuff in Sears - she confirmed that it was tatty and unkempt. That article really should be a warning to anyone in retail of what not to do.

True, surplus isn't something many (if any) people need, but the customer base is very dedicated so it's not gong away. There will always be a niche market.

Regarding Sears, it's news to me that they have any "tatty and unkempt" stores in the chain. Quite the opposite although the parent/partner company K-Mart always had jumbled shelves/merchandise. That said, they do have an obsolete business model in the modern internet era and they're constantly undercut by the likes of Walmart (now there's a thriving retail place with truly abominable floor plans and merchandise)

But care to guess who's started to cut into Walmart's market share? That would be Dollar General who's stores start out bright and clean when new but usually degrade within the first two years (yet maintain or even expand their revenues)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE