Surplus shop miserable tight sods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I'm just going on my wife's impression of the Sears store she went to. Bricks and mortar stores are still important (which is where I working tomorrow), but it should be part of a lot of ways to shop, and its cut-throat out there. Yes, I'm constantly amazed at stores just about hanging on despite multiple failings, and I have to admit that the Walmart owned Asda chain here isn't exactly a lovely shopping experience either. Dollar General seems to be killing the competition - is there any particular reason?

Your right about surplus being a niche, but its not necessarily an especially large or profitable one - and the net is killing physical stores. I like trying stuff on and having a good rummage, so we need to keep these stores open!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm just going on my wife's impression of the Sears store she went to. Bricks and mortar stores are still important (which is where I working tomorrow), but it should be part of a lot of ways to shop, and its cut-throat out there. Yes, I'm constantly amazed at stores just about hanging on despite multiple failings, and I have to admit that the Walmart owned Asda chain here isn't exactly a lovely shopping experience either. Dollar General seems to be killing the competition - is there any particular reason?

Your right about surplus being a niche, but its not necessarily an especially large or profitable one - and the net is killing physical stores. I like trying stuff on and having a good rummage, so we need to keep these stores open!

Agreed on all points.

Regarding the question about why Dollar General is doing so well, I suspect there are two main reasons:
-1) Price. They compare favorably are even beat prices of even the big box discount retailers such as Walmart, etc.
-2) Convenience. They're business model differs from said big box stores by putting smaller ones in almost every neighborhood making it easier to shop there for (again) two reasons:
--a) They're conveniently located much like the traditional "corner shop" and
--b) Being smaller, it's much easier to get in and out of the store without dealing with big crowds and long queues at the till.

In short I think most shoppers like low prices, convenience, and the likelihood of seeing the same local cashiers regularly.

Last edited:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Slightly off topic but i'm finding my buttons being pushed by the 'Or best offer' option on some items. For instance, i saw an item i fancied on e-Bay. Not unique, they were available new for £85 with free postage. He was asking £80 or best offer with £7 postage. I know people can ask what they like for stuff but i banged in an offer of £63 saying they are available for £85 new. He came back with an offer of £78, £2 off! I got back and said i'd up mine to £65 but he refused it saying he could not go lower.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
never mind i have one of them swedish woolen jackets maybe we could do a swap where abouts is middle earth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE