Supermoon + Eclipse = Awesome

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
How Super will this be.?
Checked the Weather forecast and it's looking good for Scotland for a change. Event starts around 02:00. i would check though as my hearing might have been off this morning when i heard of it..

Anyone doing a overnighter tonight might want to stay up for this. Anyone not, might want to change plans for the evening.

I'm packing a bag in 3...2...1 :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34352504

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The moon here was also good. But Cornwall isnt known for clear skies.

Anyhow; Ill be dead to the world at that time.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Here are the best of a bad bunch from a point and shoot:

002_zps5osistnr.jpg

001_zpsocstymhv.jpg

003_zpsjgk6dzyq.jpg

004_zpsto6ffwpg.jpg

Just have to wait until Morning to see whether the Triffids arrive or not.... :eek:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Was reasonably clear skies around 0140 - 0215, I did not see any red moon, but bright blue sort of half globe to bottom right of moon then same bright blue forming 2 half globes touching each other at the bottom right and bottom left of the moon, my wife and I found it quite fascinating, first time we had seen this.

Will check if the point and shoot produced any results, I went straight to bed after the eclipse so did not check last night.

I see from posted pics the RED moon, strange I did not see any of that, anyone else see the blue features that we witnessed ?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm jealous. We have a weather system pushing in off of the Gulf of Mexico and the clouds obscured it last night. I won't complain though, we've been needing the rain.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Wish I'd got pictures like that Beachlover... I stood out there with my iPhone, couldn't get anything like a decent picture... if I'd know how to use my wife's SLR, I may have got a decent shot... just have to wait another 30 years.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Was reasonably clear skies around 0140 - 0215, I did not see any red moon, but bright blue sort of half globe to bottom right of moon then same bright blue forming 2 half globes touching each other at the bottom right and bottom left of the moon, my wife and I found it quite fascinating, first time we had seen this.

Will check if the point and shoot produced any results, I went straight to bed after the eclipse so did not check last night.

I see from posted pics the RED moon, strange I did not see any of that, anyone else see the blue features that we witnessed ?
The event started around 02:07 and went on for over an hour. Maybe you went to bed too early.?

I was watching it through some trees. Not the supermoon as predicted, but like a solar eclipse, yeah, you could watch the shadow take nibbles from the moon until it turned a reddy brown colour.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I set my alarm, then promptly slept right through it :(

Although freakily when I got up in the morning I would have sworn that I did get up to watch it - I had dreamed getting up and even waking my son up to get him to look out of the window, but my wife confirmed that I actually didn't....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I set my alarm, then promptly slept right through it :(

Although freakily when I got up in the morning I would have sworn that I did get up to watch it - I had dreamed getting up and even waking my son up to get him to look out of the window, but my wife confirmed that I actually didn't....
Nothing worse than those dreams when you have dremt you went to work, did a full shift then woke up to find you had a full shift ahead of you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE