Sunshine at last

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I was beginning to wonder if I was going to wait for some decent light longer than it took to make this.

A very simple trug - no joints, fixings or bending of wood

Trug01_zps4b9b53d2.jpg

Trug02_zps44373967.jpg

Trug03_zps2388e113.jpg

Made from a section of chestnut approximately 8 inches in diameter. Apart from flattening for the base nothing was done to the outside surface once the bark was removed.

Trug04_zpsce6c0919.jpg

Trug05_zps30c1abf8.jpg

Simple design but a lot of hard work removing lots of heartwood. I was a leaning coppice stem I felled on the last cutting day last year. The sap had started to rise son the bark pealed off with no problem.

I did 2 sections off the base of the log. The other one developed a split before I got to it but it does give a decent before & after shot.

Trug06_zps4a743e43.jpg

I like the result, but wasn't sure it was worth the effort. Then I saw a traditional hand made bentwood trug in a garden centre for over £50......

For treatment I washed it with plain water and a soft brush as it did get a little grimey over time. Then just a couple of applications of veg oil

Mike

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent! That's really cool..........I love trugs and use a few different ones a lot for all sorts of things, but I'd never have thought of that.........Superb!....atb mac

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Cracking finish, I can only imagine it took you a long time, but its going to be around a lot longer than it took you to make,
What tools did you use in all?
Again great work
well done
Cheers
Bill

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Cracking finish, I can only imagine it took you a long time, but its going to be around a lot longer than it took you to make,
What tools did you use in all?
Again great work
well done
Cheers
Bill

Chainsaw for the basic shape
Bit & brace to drill out the centre grain
Straight adze & hollowing adze in early stages
Mainly a gouge with & without mallet
Whichever knife was to hand
Sharping kit the heartwood tends to dull edges after a while
remember to wash tools after carving green chestnut

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE