Last of the Beech.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Last of the Chinese Beech spoon blanks, I kept this one till last as it has some really interesting grain in it and i wasn't disappointed, with flecks, rays, colour variations, swirls and sweeps and despite all of this, it was probably the easiest one to carve out of the entire batch.

As per normal, i soaked the blank for 24 hours to make it carvable, then set to with with just my carving knives, taking my time as i didn't want to cock it up with a wayward cut, a few hours later it was done, i set it aside overnight and the wood has oxidised nicely overnight with the grain and colours popping in the autumn sunshine this morning.

The spoon has my normal off the knife finish, with the exterior surfaces then being lightly burnished with the back of my knife.

53207374798_1280cd7a8c_b.jpg

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Really handsome, well done.

When soaking overnight, is it best to work through the spoon all in one go, or can you re-soak it?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Really handsome, well done.

When soaking overnight, is it best to work through the spoon all in one go, or can you re-soak it?
Cheers,

Re soaking, i keep the blank in a ziplock when im not carving it and tend to rough it all out to a point in a a few hours where i can do the finishing cuts when its dry, but i can't see why you can't re soak it if it gets too dry.

Reactions: Foogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE