Sulphur Matches from scratch Part 1

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since I was trying out a new toy (Makita reciprocating saw) I happened to notice the grain on a bit of scrap pine was suitable-ish for splitting into spills.

Firstly I battoned it to the right width across the grain then I split it down the grain at what I judge to be the same thickness as the originals I've seen, about 1.5 to 2 mm.

BattoningSpills1.jpg

I then trimmed the ends to rough points with the knife.

BattonedSpills2.jpg

Because I didn't want to waste the cock ups theres quite a range of sizes here, 4.5 to 6.25 inchs or there abouts.

Will sulphur dip when the weathers better. With practice turning out large numbers would be very easy.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Cool! But match heads contain much more than sulpher, getting hold of the required chemicals is quite hard for the general public!

avalon

May 31, 2007
South Australia
Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make friction matches. Here in Australia they are no longer available, which means you have to carry a striker and make sure it doesn't get wet.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just out of interest, does anyone know how to make friction matches.

Please don't get involved in that kind of thing. People get killed so easily.

My first job was making explosives in a research laboratory here in England. I was looking at one of the huts when it went up with about 50kg of nitroglycerine and four people inside it. Fortunately for me I was a couple of hundred yards away. The people who were first on the scene had to pick up pieces of bodies from all around, and many of them needed counseling afterwards.

avalon

May 31, 2007
South Australia
Please don't get involved in that kind of thing. People get killed so easily.

My first job was making explosives in a research laboratory here in England. I was looking at one of the huts when it went up with about 50kg of nitroglycerine and four people inside it. Fortunately for me I was a couple of hundred yards away. The people who were first on the scene had to pick up pieces of bodies from all around, and many of them needed counseling afterwards.

I don't intend to make them if there is any risk involved. I was just curious. As a firefighter, I don't think I would be very popular if I blew up my own shed while engaging in (probably) illegal activities.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It being a fine day and the atmosphere already suposedly full of sulphur from Iceland blowing up I decided to do some dipping.

I had premade some split pine spills and had also prepared a hundred or so halved tobacconists spills to do. Although I haven't yet done the research I want to on the oat straw versions, as held in the Bryant and May collection, I decided to cut up a few of the stems Toddy had kindly sent and dip those to see how well they worked.

I had saved and cleaned a small tin as this was the nearest thing I had to one of the sulphur melting pots as originally used. I marked on the inside the depth I wanted the pointed ends of the spills to be covered to and put in about a ounce of sulphur powder

meltingsulphurincan.jpg

This I melted over a low flame, making sure the wind was blowing any fumes away from me etc. A gentle swirling action helped the process. I added more sulphur until the mark was reached.

Using a large container made the actual dipping

dippingincan.jpg

extremely quick and easy. I occasionally had to heat the sulphur some more when it began to solidify but since I merely had to grab a spill and dip it vertically until it hit the bottom and the throw it onto the ground (they more or less went hard by the time they landed) before grabbing the next each only took a couple of seconds to do. Those that landed on another spill with the sulpur coated tip did sometimes stick slightly so I took to policing them up after every 50 or so to make reduce the number of times this happened. I could have just thrown them further but this seemed less hassle.

In the end I made this lot in just over 30 minutes

dippedfromtin.jpg

Each of the single ended piles has 10 matches in it while there are 25 of the double ended matches and about 20 of the dipped oat straws.

When dipping the straws the sulphur didn't stick to the outside very well so I double dipped a couple, seen at the left of the pile, bottom right.

When I tested the matches, using some firework slow match for consistancy the single dipped oat straws proved very difficult to light, the double dipped was significantly easier but went out as soon as the flame had consumed the sulphur.

doubledippedoatstraw.jpg

The matches made from the commercial spills work well but not so good as the thicker home split spills which once lit burned very well indeed, were very hard to blow out while some sulphur remained (much more so than a safety match or candle, being not far off what you get with a life boat match).

sinjgledippedsplitpinespunk.jpg

I've made bundles of 25 for conveniance and that lot should last me a while, certainly until I can do some more research and want to make some more.

If anyone in the UK would care to try a few before deciding to make their own, please let me know.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Good tutorial. I make and use sulphur matches a lot for use in my living history work.

One suggestion I would make which you might find useful is to point and dip both ends.

More often than not I have lit whatever I am lighting well before the spill is used up. Having the other end dipped means I get two lights for every spill carried.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
great stuf as per usual very interesting i wish i had the time to really give this a go but sadly not.

on the up side pm inbound

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Good tutorial. I make and use sulphur matches a lot for use in my living history work.

One suggestion I would make which you might find useful is to point and dip both ends.

More often than not I have lit whatever I am lighting well before the spill is used up. Having the other end dipped means I get two lights for every spill carried.

Indeed, the double ended sort are what I make for home use. From looking at the Bryant and May list there seams to be, very roughly, two sizes of match, 4.5 to 8 inch ( usually flat, double ended and pointed although square section and flat ended were also made) and ones often square section with a single end about 3 inch or less presumedly made for carrying about.

I made the 3.5" long single pointed flat ones to give away and to go in my 4" dia tinder box. And I was being lazy ;-{D)

Has anyone seen sulphur covered cotton thread, used as matches in Germany, evidentally? Also Brown paper dipped in sulphur to be used as matches?

I'm thinking of dipping some headless matches the kids use for models to go in a tinder tube when I can find a tinder tube that is.

ATB

Tom

Still smelling slightly of sulphur.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
other than the explosion risks of making your own striker matches.......

some of the chemicals needed are on the watch list of the UN (as well as local law enforcement) as they can also be used for the production of methamphetamine

yes, people blow themselves up making that drug also, but even if you dont blow up, you might find your door kicked in by the old bill at 4am one morning! eek

:)

(no im not given the ingredients for meth, but to add, red striker matches can be used in place of some of the ingredients.... just makes it even more toxic to the human body?!?!)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tom,

this is genuinely one of the best series of tutorials (your matches, slow match rushlights etc.) that I have read on BCUK. Without doubt the ones that have me itching to try all this myself - I now have the gear, just lack the time.

Many, many thanks for piquing my increasingly jaded interest!

Red

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Aww, thanks Red, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Hopefully now I'm back as a house husband/ full time dad I'll have more time for research and making stuff.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
By the by I am looking for more information on a sulphur melting pot that I've found illustrated in a book on domestic metal work.

I've tried contacting the museum at Lewes that is credited with having it but have had no joy from them at all

LewesSulphurPot.jpg

Theres no sizes in the book and it is described as "tinned iron" and early 19th C. If I can get some photos and dimensions I could have a go at getting one made up.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE