clipperspark.jpg

from post #14 in super firesteels
I've sent you a PM
cheers Danny

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Given where you sourced the excess material maybe you would be better advertising it on a different kind of forum? Where users will appreciate it for its intended use? softness, pliability, strength, ease of knotting?

I refer to a drumming forum of course...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Given where you sourced the excess material maybe you would be better advertising it on a different kind of forum? Where users will appreciate it for its intended use? softness, pliability, strength, ease of knotting?

I refer to a drumming forum of course...

Oddly enoughy the middle son is badgering me to make a slightly scaled down 17th C military drum (somewhere else on here is a thread with me asking if anyone makes their own vellum) so if I can crack the drumskins-cost-a-bomb and steam-bending-the 1/4"-oak-veneer problems some of it may actually go on a drum. Jeeze they do saddle me with odd jobs!

Oh the cotton sash cord stuff I made yesterday for me and James works OK, just 2 tea spoons of KN03 in half a milk pan of water seems to have given it the right pep to keep it smouldering. I boiled up the cord a couple of times in fresh water before hand incase there was anything flame retardent on it. Not as good as the linen but the cotton cord is freely available and dirt cheap.

ATB

Tom

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Tom when I tried to send PM I got :-
tombear has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
So I sent you an E-mail via the site
cheers Danny

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Tom when I tried to send PM I got :-
tombear has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
So I sent you an E-mail via the site
cheers Danny

Good lord! How do I change it so anybody can PM me? I'm sorry I didn't know it was set to do that.

Not had owt so far, try

tombear01@googlemail.co_m

remove underbar.

My apolgies to anyone whos tried to gety intouch and been bounced.

ATB

Tom

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Good lord! How do I change it so anybody can PM me? I'm sorry I didn't know it was set to do that.Tom

User CP
Settings & Options
Edit Options
Messaging & Notification
Private Messaging
Enable Private Messaging You kneed a tick in the Box

hope this helps cheers Danny

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
User CP
Settings & Options
Edit Options
Messaging & Notification
Private Messaging
Enable Private Messaging You kneed a tick in the Box

hope this helps cheers Danny

It certainly did, I've ticked the right (hopefully) boxes and unticked the one that said "only from friends or moderators" or words to that effect and hopefully thats sorted.

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
just ordered a KG of potassium nitrate from hobby chemicals, with postage its cost us just shy of 10 quid.

If anyone is really stuck getting their own and only wants a ounce or two to make some match or supe'd up char PM us and we'll sort something out at cost.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Linen ropes arrived

linenrope.jpg

Last time it was black tissue tied up with purple ribbon but I think they have caught on we are not their normal clientele, mind you the note did warn us it was stiffer than the last batch...

I will not be tying anyone up, unless we catch a burgler. I sleep in the buff and have one of those artic issue gimp masks in my hat draw next to the one with the Oakwood tool in it...

The Kn03 has also been posted, will work out whats going where when thats arrived.

Cheers

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked up something a bit more aesthetically pleasing to store the sulphur matches in today for £2. I'm guessing it's some modern copy (although on the back where it hasn't been polished to death the brass looks ancient) brought back for granny to keep her nick knacks in but when the parlour is finished I'll fix it up next to the fire place.

MatchHolderPiolished.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Today, much to my shame, we went to the local museum (which is just 2 or three miles down the road) for the first time in 5 years and low and behold there were sulphur matches in a display of firelighting equipment.

Luckily we had a camera with us and some of the shots came out OK.

RawSulphur01.jpg

RawSulphur02.jpg

They date from the 1870s at latest and I was pleased to see how close thery were to the matches I made by spitting some pine. The lenght is about 6 inches and they are very thick. evidentaly this was a selling point as the seller's cry was "long and strong!"

The case also contained a candle mold, 2 tinder boxes, about 5 steels and a tin candle safe amongst other items.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally got around to copying (roughly) a sulpur match holder in the Bryant and May collection. I'd been having trouble getting some elm board (being cheap) so in the end chopped down a section of ancient wooden guttering I found under a shed I was taking down. The shavings nearly filled a plastic trug.... D'oh!

Anyhoo its done now less some oil to darken it and at the moment I'm using a chuck wagon triangle as a weight, im looking for a old decorative lead casting or heavy horse brass to replace it.

SulphurMatchHolder_zps9b74b3b9.jpg

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE