Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Is there a consensus on the size and quality of tarp we'll need for the shelter. Personally I'd spend a bit more for a better tarp, as it will probably be a saving in the long run.
Once we decide on the size we can get the frame up and use the old tarps for now, until we have enough in the kitty for new ones.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think that size wise 12'x20' is fine, we would need 2 of them, the ones Stu linked to on ebay should do the job.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think that screwing would be better as I dont know how many know how to lash ma d how good the lashing would be if different people did it seeing it is in a structure.. I would not want it to fall down because of bad lashing or ineffective thrapping turns on the lashing, and screwing is Quick and easy:).

That would be great mike, :)

If we take it that the logs will be up to 4" thick, then each joint will be 8" so an inch or so at each side for the nut/ spare/washer ect say we need just under 12" of stud for each joint the A frames need 3 joints each and each corner needs 2 joints each, there are two A frames and Four corners..

So two A frames with 3 joints = 6 Foot of studding

Four Corners with two Joints = 8 Foot of studding

then connecting the A frames to the Uprights and cross pieces at four points = 8 Foot of studding

Use M8 Threaded Bar and Nuts with Penny washers

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...+Screws/Threaded+Bar+M8+x+1m/d90/sd970/p69124

Just a reminder of the build

yhu5y9e8.jpg

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yeah that would be good as it that could be done at leisure, and it would make it look better :)

I think its more important to make it a sound structure :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant, Vic is working sadly, I am free the weekend after, I think Stu and I had pencilled in a trip out that way to collect some birch bark, day has not been set yet though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE