Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What size are the ones we already have, as we don't want it any bigger.

and do we want the roof in 2 sections to allow smoke out?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Was the design agreed on at the meet? And if it was how much do we have to cut?

Stu and I had a quick measure up at the site, but final design will depend on tarp size.

Just been reading the reviews and two of them state that it's very thin and will easily rip. Maybe something we should be aware of.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yeah, those tarps are lightweight 80gsm, maybe we could go for something the same size, but more heavyweight.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
Yeah, those tarps are lightweight 80gsm, maybe we could go for something the same size, but more heavyweight.

No problem with size, I think that will be more than adequate. I was concerned for the longevity, didn't want to be replacing them too often, a more heavyweight tarp would be ideal. I know they will be more expensive but cheaper in long run.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just had a thought did anyone make a rough estimate of the heignt of the trees as this will affect the size of the shelter too.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
So the 'A' frame will need to be made from 15' stuff, that wont be a problem, for the ridge pole we will need one to the size of the tarp

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A pair of 13x20 should do the trick.
Stu can you post a pic of the shelter, i have looked but can't find it and am having a blond moment.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've now had quite a few responces re my PM on 10 to 18 year olds, thank you very much for your effort , a couple of them have raised questions of when the under 18's should be allowed to come to the meets, and what the ramifications are with under 18's comming to the meets, all these questions I hear and take on board, it is something that we as a group will need to peg down and get sorted, and think we should descuss it at a meet, not really on an open forum its for the group to decide not anyone that just jumps on the thread.

My feeling is as you all know that a family camp every year is a good thing as it gets all the family involved, but this should not be the only time the children should be allowed to come as all family can not just make one date, but to allow them to come as and when they want,

BUT if they do come they are the responsabillty of the parent/adult that brings them and they alone accept the risks of bushcrafting and the location and facilitys at the woods have, we of cause as adults have the duty of care to everyone on that site let alone the younger ones.

There may be a need that for a couple of meets a year its Over 18's Only, I say it this way round becuase its not many meets we have under 18's at the moment,

One thing I would put forward as was brought up in one of the replys is how will the parent know if the site is suitable for their child, if its a long standing bushcrafter they should know what Wild Camping is, if not then a visit for a meet so they find out, before bringing the under 18.

We are in a lucky position having 4 quarters to the woodland, if people would like more seclution away from the Communial Camping Area, a suggestion would be from the March meet we open up the Top Right Handside as we walk in the Main Top Enterance to the wood's, this is something we have spoken about for a number of meets.

And of course the most important thing is, well behaved children is a must, and I have always said if they can not behave then they will be asked not to return, in really extreme cases then they will be asked to leave as would any other person over stepping the mark.

As a group we will continue to embrace and encouagre familys to attend, and also recognise that there is a need for Adult time out as well :).. thats for Mums and Dads alike :)

Bushcrafting is an experiance that has to be enjoyed by everyone. I hope this answers some of the questions that have and may arise you you may have thougt about.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one Steve, they are looking good :)

I will do Chris but cant till I get home, and I out tonight. so may take a day or two.. depends on what time I get home :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE