Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just to let you know I got the folding cups, they are the 600ml ones not the small ones, I have five in total, I am letting them go for £4.25 each at the monthly meet or collect.

Karl has already put his name on one so only 4 left
Simon's Name is on the second, so 3 left

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just to let you know I got the folding cups, they are the 600ml ones not the small ones, I have five in total, I am letting them go for £4.25 each at the monthly meet or collect.

Karl has already put his name on one so only 4 left

Feel free to put my name on another. Been looking for a decent folding cup :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ok Simon, that's no problem..

Just had Tony Pop round for a Coffee, followed by a drop or two of Talisker... had a good chat, about life bushy things, and every thing else :), it was great to see him, hopefully he will make it to the next Group meet :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Finally unpacked my sewing machine, and just put in an order for a complete roll of parachute-grade Ripstop Nylon (in Khaki), a complete roll of 1000D Cordura (in Coyote Tan), 10 spools of 1500m rot-proof industrial thread (that's in a sort of shade between Khaki and Coyote Tan so will work well with both colours).

Got bulk supplies of all the buckles and other materials already being shipped out of the US... and the first thing I'm doing when the thread and Cordura arrive is making a new hat.... because I've always wanted to make a custom packaway :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Finally unpacked my sewing machine, and just put in an order for a complete roll of parachute-grade Ripstop Nylon (in Khaki), a complete roll of 1000D Cordura (in Coyote Tan), 10 spools of 1500m rot-proof industrial thread (that's in a sort of shade between Khaki and Coyote Tan so will work well with both colours).

Got bulk supplies of all the buckles and other materials already being shipped out of the US... and the first thing I'm doing when the thread and Cordura arrive is making a new hat.... because I've always wanted to make a custom packaway :)

Thats a ******** Lot of material.... I used to be in a group of 10 guys that purchased rolls of RS Nylon for Kite making big display kites, How many things you going to make....

Looking forward to seeing the resulting items..... shame its not 10oz Canvas, there's loads of guys about that would be interested in making canvas Sacks and Tarps...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thats a ******** Lot of material.... I used to be in a group of 10 guys that purchased rolls of RS Nylon for Kite making big display kites, How many things you going to make....

Looking forward to seeing the resulting items..... shame its not 10oz Canvas, there's loads of guys about that would be interested in making canvas Sacks and Tarps...

I always buy in bulk (better price per unit, and I'd rather have too much than too little), and I sure as hell won't be wasting any of the materials. Got some projects in mind (simple things for the RS Nylon, more complicated for the Cordura). Hoping all this arrives in time for me to start producing before the next group meet.

I can get a roll of 10oz canvas if there's enough interest in using it (and by that I mean enough people who want to make things with the material, rather than people who want things made for them with it)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Night Monthly Suffolk Bushcraft Group Meeting August 2nd and 3rd 2013

All Welcome, Newbies, all levels of experience, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

A 10 Acre mixed Woodland that is very quiet and secluded, and lends itself to wild camping, both in Hammocks and Tents, just outside of the village of Stansfield,

Regulars that have been to the Site before - 12:00 onwards - report at Office before going to the woods.
New commers to Site - Meet at Compasses Pub, Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. 14:00 hrs, normally finishing about midday on the Sunday. Please be on time as the Woodland is hard to find, For those that can not make it to that meet and would like to come please PM me and I will arrange another time.

Cost
The Camp Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the meet with.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we aim to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
This is a very wild site...The nearest Toilets, Shower are back at a Farm Yard about 1km away, the nearest Tap is about a 600m from the Woodland.

Personal Hygiene - there is NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits (loo roll ect), there is a Group Latrine that is to be used in all cases, it is a requirement of the Landowner.

There is a lean to one man natural shelter that can be used, if you would like to use it for a night, that would be on a first come, first serve basis, it may need re-roofing prior to use. There is also a Shave horse for use as well that was made as a group project.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, this will depend on activities, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, other than communal one, then it is your responsibility to clean it up, The Main communal Fire is Everyone’s responsibility to clean up after.

Vehicles and Access and Parking to site
Due to the amount of cars and access being required by the landowner, cars can go to the woodland to drop off and pick up kit, then back to parking area for the duration of the stay, the Car Parking for the woodland will be about 800m away from the woodland in a Working Farm Yard, please do not block Gates and Barn doorways.

If the ground is too wet then, most of the gear will have to walked in, I can arrange for help for people that cannot walk that far due to a health reason, I need to know this in advance.

Group Meal,
Yet for someone to offer to Take on this task.

(The Group meals are supplied but the person making them, then the cost is divided between the participants, please remember Cash is required).

In case of Unforseen events that may cause there to be no group meal, please allow in your catering for that emmergency meal.

Air Guns
From this meeting as a Bonus for the Regular Attendees to Monthly Meets will be able to use Air Guns (Non FAC - under 12flb only) for Target use only in a designated area, they will be subject to Chronograph before use by the Range Control Officer, (this will be Carl), and any decision on the use of Air Guns and Range that he makes will be final, and has the right to refuse the use of the gun or any person using a gun.

IF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR ATTENDEE TO THE MONTHLY MEET PLEASE DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN SHOOT... IT IS ONLY FOR THE REGULARS.

Please inform myself or Carl (mitch66) if you intend on bringing an Air Gun prior to arrival.

Any person not adhering to these conditions will be asked to stop the activity.

Other Info
We are still on probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect.

I will be taking the normal, Griddle, and tripod, Coleman Lamp, also a couple of Tarps, for a group shelter,

Wood can be gathered from around the site, Dead Wood only to be used.

Of course Micky being taken is compulsory....

I know people Like taking Photo's and sharing experiances, and some dont like the Photo's on the Internet, so Please bear this in mind when posting after the event,

Slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale, so a meet can be a great place to get some kit.. reason to bring a little bit of cash with you.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own suitable First Aid kit, not just some plasters.

The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;

West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy the Attendance List and place name on bottom of list, I will add to the Main Post and how many nights you’re staying,

From Now on there will be a limit of 15 persons, and only two New/Non Regular attenders in that 15.

List of Attending
1. Big Stu - 2 Nights
2. Tagnut69
3. mitch66 (carl)
4. Jjessup
5. Sjstuart
6. RemeaviThanatos
7. Toadstooll Carver hopefully 2 nights
8. Rumcelt.

Other Dates
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet - for more details see notice on thread - Details soon..
September 6th and 7th 2013.- Monthly Meet
September 20th and 21st 2013 - TBC- Daniel Boone Challenge -Details to follow
Friday 4th and Saturday 5th October-TBC - Monthly Meet
Friday 1st and Saturday 2nd November-TBC - Monthly Meet
Friday 6th and Saturday 7th December-TBC - Monthly Meet - Christmas Meal !!!!!!

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just been thinking about oUr Project for this meet...

The Clay Oven.....

Things we will need to do it,

Former for oven.. I know Chris you have a drum.
Chimney... Any one got a bit of metal Pipe about
Base.. Chris Brought a nice slab for it last time..still at site

Can anyone think of anything else?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just been thinking about oUr Project for this meet...

The Clay Oven.....

Things we will need to do it,

Former for oven.. I know Chris you have a drum.
Chimney... Any one got a bit of metal Pipe about
Base.. Chris Brought a nice slab for it last time..still at site

Can anyone think of anything else?

I'll sort out the pipe this coming week. I'm thinking 3-4" diameter, unless anyone has any better ideas?

There's clay available at the sight... but do we need any sand bringing?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'll sort out the pipe this coming week. I'm thinking 3-4" diameter, unless anyone has any better ideas?

There's clay available at the sight... but do we need any sand bringing?

Ok mate, thank you

I forgot about that, I'll grab a bag of sand...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet

I have now had conformation of the dates for a 4 nighter, being the Sat 24th to the 28th August, being 4 nights the first two will cost the normal £10 then an extra £5 per night per person.

This will be a good chance to may be do a longer project and get out in the woods for a few nights.
normal details as per the monthly meet.

I Will Put the full Info out after the August Meet to avoid confusion....,

but we can start looking at things we would like to do :).

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad
3. Mitch66
4. Damascus
5. Norfolk John
6. Mikesmith777

Just a reminder about the meet end of Aug... as normal you dont have to do all nights, idea time to get out and not just on a weekend night :)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet

I have now had conformation of the dates for a 4 nighter, being the Sat 24th to the 28th August, being 4 nights the first two will cost the normal £10 then an extra £5 per night per person.

This will be a good chance to may be do a longer project and get out in the woods for a few nights.
normal details as per the monthly meet.

I Will Put the full Info out after the August Meet to avoid confusion....,

but we can start looking at things we would like to do :).

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad
3. Mitch66

Just a reminder about the meet end of Aug... as normal you dont have to do all nights, idea time to get out and not just on a weekend night :)

Sorry to say I'm not going to be able to make this one. I have an operation on the 23rd, and doubt I'll even be out of hospital during those 4 days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE