Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
August 24th to 28th – 4 Nighter Bank Holiday Meet

I have now had conformation of the dates for a 4 nighter, being the Sat 24th to the 28th August, being 4 nights the frist two will cost the normal £10 then an extra £5 per night per person.

This will be a good chance to may be do a longer project and get out in the woods for a few nights.
normal details as per the monthly meet just wanted to get the dates fixed.

I will put full details out after the July Meet, but we can atart lookig at things we would like to do :)

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

I have now had conformation of the dates for a 4 nighter, being the Sat 24th to the 28th August, being 4 nights the frist two will cost the normal £10 then an extra £5 per night per person.

This will be a good chance to may be do a longer project and get out in the woods for a few nights.

I will put full details out after the July Meet, but we can atart lookig at things we would like to do :)

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad
3. SJStuart

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I went to Cineworld in Ipswich today to watch "Man of Steel" (which was actually pretty good, but that's not the point of this post).

As I pulled up in the carpark on my bike, I noticed a guy carrying a small OD Bergen. As he walked past me (having parked up and removed my helmet) I decided to complement him on the bag (I like my rucksacks, as many of you know). He told me he had a bigger one at home, so I mentioned my 80-130. He then asked me what I do (or what I use it for). I mentioned Bushcraft, and it turns out he's been an avid bushcraftsman for decades.

Anyway, exchanged numbers and I told him about this group... so perhaps he'll end up joining us!

Nice bloke, had a good chat... comes across as very experienced and would no doubt be a valuable member for this group (if he decides to join us) :)

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk

List of Attendees
1. Big Stu
2. Big Stus Lad
3. SJStuart
4. mitch66​

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Was busy last night, my Silky Has a new House..... :)

DSC_1010.jpg

I am now going to try to house one of these this weekend.....

500_2oz_tobacco_tin2.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
my thoughts also. its a nice bonus activity for our regulars :)

+1 to that Stu. It's not being a killjoy. They are the rules, abide or go elsewhere.

Thank you for your support Guys, Its nice to know that we are traveling the same woody track. We have a great group here, with some great Guys, and hopefully now we have found a nice home for the group, we will evolve and grow in our knowledge experience, and friendship.

FioFO... :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just had one final thing to do to the masks I have made, and that was to buff off the Canauba Cream, on the last two I have made, so got back from going out today, and two mins later ended up with this collection.

DSC_1017.jpg

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, A man can never have to meany toys / tools i know this coz i bought a new gas stove today then went to kevs new site to test it, well it just seamed the correct thing to do. o and my 10cm zebra came today.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
HI, went to a car boot sunday and saw two small hand axe's. thought of you stu. but thought you had enough and it would not be in your best interest, to feed your addicttion and i just walked on by. :lmao:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
HI, went to a car boot sunday and saw two small hand axe's. thought of you stu. but thought you had enough and it would not be in your best interest, to feed your addicttion and i just walked on by. :lmao:

What addiction.....

DSC_1019.jpg

I am keeping my eyes open for a really small caver about, may just get a small 1lb and cut it about...., a draw knife, and a small bowl adze, would also like to do a Hawk up for throwing as well..

Last edited:

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I keep meaning to pick up a trail hawk to mod and play with - also after seeing something similar may try and get some hardwood scales made up for my RMJ Kestrel:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will have to bring mine along to the next meet

Yeah that would be good, I have tied Tonys Hawk for chopping but did not like it at all, it did not seem right for some reason, and in a way was more work to cut/split anything, that may well just be my method, and I just need the practice.

One thing I think may be a good Idea after the last meet is running a Axe/sharps safety, care and use sessions, after a couple of moments at the last meeting..... that I witnessed, one being a miss use and lack of care, and one that was all so a miss use that could lead to an injury..

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have some large paving slabs that I can bring along about 14''x18'' only got 2, but that should do for what we want. I found them when swinging the strimmer around yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE