Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In my on going jouney in to the world of leather work , and recapturing skills that I have lost and new one I wnat to find and learn, been busy again over the last couple of nights with wet froming a knfe pouch, hope you like.

2013-05-21 07.18.26.jpg

I was also experimenting with the finish I used, not so pleased with it , so will be going back to the previous on

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am Very impressed, and Stu the leatherwork looks great

FioFO

Toby did a good job of his knife, I am looking forward to seeing the end product.... It should be a good one the guy took loads of pride in what he was doing....

Thank you, I can see a few problems with the leather work, but I am getting there, and getting quite a collection to go on my belt...lol, practice maks perfect, I have got one more axe mask at least to make, going to do a tobacco tin posibilites pouche soon....

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Thanks for the comments.................... I had a good teacher ! Quick question Stu.......... should I find a piece of walnut wood with the least grain ? for example the outer diameter ?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks for the comments.................... I had a good teacher ! Quick question Stu.......... should I find a piece of walnut wood with the least grain ? for example the outer diameter ?

Thanks for the vote of conidence Toby, you knew what you wanted, and went about doing it... Your work mate...

The nearer the grain i think you will find the denser the wood, I dont think it will matter to be honest, if you find a bit, split it and put it on a linisher, and see if there is a grain that you like the look of :).

Thing is the more grain may be of more interest, try to stay away fron knots tho....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
hi, stu, ive sent you the bag sizes via a text. hope sj had a nice time on his Boone challenge, got home safely and took loads of photos. later carl

Stupid me forgot to recharge my stupid phone before I left, so stupid me didn't take any photos (or videos) :(

Because of that, stupid me is going to go out again this weekend and do it properly with video (it's a bank holiday, so might as well enjoy it)

Have to say though, last night was absolutely beautiful! Full moon, completely clear sky... I didn't even need to use a flashlight!
The 4x4 tarp was a refreshing change for me (lot less stooping down, easier on my back)... but I still haven't modified the other one yet so I was just out with the standard 4x4 tarp.

Made a small fire, didn't make dinner because I ate before I left (and I left pretty late because I was packing boxes for our house move). Log over the fire kept the embers going through morning (had a sizable burning coal this morning, actually) so added some smaller twigs, some more fat wood, and had my fire going again within a couple of minutes.
Made a boil-in-the-bag Chicken Balti and a pack of rice (both from "Look What We Found") for breakfast.

I didn't have enough time to make anything useful (just one night out, Mrs picked me up at 9:15 this morning)

Oh and yesterday was the first time I took the axe instead of the knife... but for the most part I just used the folding saw for cutting wood.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
HI, hope everyones well. Is anyone going out over the weekend, i know roman soldier was thinking about going out with his son. didnt know if anyone else had and plans? SJ said he was thinking about it also (maybe his woods). just thought it being a bank hol and it seams like months since i was out in the old hammock. later lads

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
HI, hope everyones well. Is anyone going out over the weekend, i know roman soldier was thinking about going out with his son. didnt know if anyone else had and plans? SJ said he was thinking about it also (maybe his woods). just thought it being a bank hol and it seams like months since i was out in the old hammock. later lads

Hi Bud,

I wish I was out this weekend, I ve got next week off as well, Saturday I am down the man cave making some more goodies, Sunday its Twickers, Monday I got a Blue Light Open Day I am attending with Rover Rescue, then rest of the week I got a cuople of days working for TWAM, seeing kids on Wednesday, may try to go out the weekend after,

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sometime I got to get to the supplus man to get goodies for the next meet, will be getting some new things in stock, If you would like something from the list below let me know over the next couple of days and I'll get it

A set of 3 ali nesting billys, £15
Coffeee Perculator Blue, £12

Webtex head torch £11
Turbo Lighter £7
Small Green Flask 430ml £7
Bota Water bottle - like my new one £4
Leather Belt Pouch - like my one £3.50

I'll also be getting some more 3mm 5mm, and 9mm paracord,

40 ltr Highland pro rucksack modular rucksack, if his still got them I might be able to do them for about £40 may be just under, but i will see.....

The prices are just a Guide, Once I have them I know for sure, hopefully it will be less....depends on what price I get off of him..

The Items in Green I will only get to order, due to cost,

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

I'm definitely going out this weekend (at least Friday and Saturday nights, possibly Sunday too depending on what happens today and tomorrow with our house move).

I'm trying to find somewhere I can use that has a fresh water source available. I have access to some woodland owned by a local farmer, but the river it backs onto (the River Alde) is a salt water estuary... and you can't boil that salt out!

I've been looking for viable places on the Little River Ooze (which runs through parts of the Thetford/Brandon forest area, and large swathes of woodland on its way to the sea).

Open to suggestions!

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Definitely out tomorrow, at donaylands colchester. May try an persuade swmbo to let me play Saturday too, not sure where yet. Not seem my farmer this week as work has been too busy but I will be seeing him Monday so I will get something organised. Anyone else out? I see Simon is planning a trip?

FioFO

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Definitely out tomorrow, at donaylands colchester. May try an persuade swmbo to let me play Saturday too, not sure where yet. Not seem my farmer this week as work has been too busy but I will be seeing him Monday so I will get something organised. Anyone else out? I see Simon is planning a trip?

FioFO

I'm going out, even if I just end up finding a random bit of woodland to pitch in. Sure as hell ain't easy trying to find a place with a suitable fresh water supply that's realistic to get to.

There's a place on the Little River Ouze in Santon Downham that looks absolutely perfect... though to get there I'd have to take the kayak (which is fine by me, really)... but it'd be nice to go out with company (especially if it's for more than one night).

Carl said something about wanting to go out this weekend, too... so perhaps the three of us should get organized and go as a small group?

There's a place on the Little River Ouze in Santon Downham that looks absolutely perfect... though to get there I'd have to take the kayak (which is fine by me, really)... but it'd be nice to go out with company (especially if it's for more than one night).

I like that idea.

I am interested and would be up for joining in. The area Santon Downham is only a couple of minutes away from my house. I also have an open canoe that will take two with kit if that helps? I could possibly lay my hands on a single open canoe, just need to sort transporting it. I do have a spare buoyancy aid, a single and twin blade paddle.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I like that idea.

I am interested and would be up for joining in. The area Santon Downham is only a couple of minutes away from my house. I also have an open canoe that will take two with kit if that helps? I could possibly lay my hands on a single open canoe, just need to sort transporting it. I do have a spare buoyancy aid, a single and twin blade paddle.

Well if you bring your canoe for you and your gear, and I bring my Kayak for me and mine, or (if you're certain your canoe would take the equivalent weight of three grown men - where I consider the weight of two packs to be that of a man)... we could add the fun of a little river journey :)

I'm about an hour or so away from Santon Downham, and I have to wait for my Mrs to get home and take over looking after the kids before I set off.

I'll PM you my number so we can co-ordinate this properly :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE