Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi All

It looks like you folks have been busy, nice one Stu re the Orchard.

I am up for 18th Feb. Do you want me to investigatory public Indemnity insurance? at lest we will know what it cost even if we don't go thought with it.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi All

It looks like you folks have been busy, nice one Stu re the Orchard.

I am up for 18th Feb. Do you want me to investigatory public Indemnity insurance? at lest we will know what it cost even if we don't go thought with it.

Regards
Rum

18th Feb is good for me as well, so thats 3 of us, lets do it......

I'll contact orchard and see if i can visit sunday morning to have a look, then if its any good report back, if your about Tony fancy coming, two set of eyes and eards are better, then maybe we could do the 18th there. if not will have to find somewhere else.

Yeah I think it may well be an idea to , but would it mean we would have to be more structured, it may give us an idea how we will have to set up ready for it.

Hi All,
Bit of info on Orchard Campsite.

I have stayed there with my young son, and we quite liked it. The wooded area is smallish, but with well spaced trees. It's towards the bottom of the site by the river (which you can fish at an additional charge). I think it would be possible to swing a hammock or tarp in this area. The ground is quite bare and a little stoney though.

They allow campfires, which is great, but don't allow you to gather your own firewood (at least not in the high season). They charged us £10 for a wheelbarrow full of seasoned firewood. However I also managed to illegally smuggle in a couple of bags of firewood from home in the boot of the car. (You can drive down quite close to the woodland pitches).

We have only been in the summer months, and whilst it was busy, it didn't seem crowded. This time of year I think you'll almost have the place to yourselves.

In short it's not exactly the wilds of Canada or Scandinavia, but for a temporary option not too far away it's probably OK.

BTW, I'm still happy to lay on some Field Archery one Sunday in the Dunwich area.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi All,
Bit of info on Orchard Campsite.

I have stayed there with my young son, and we quite liked it. The wooded area is smallish, but with well spaced trees. It's towards the bottom of the site by the river (which you can fish at an additional charge). I think it would be possible to swing a hammock or tarp in this area. The ground is quite bare and a little stoney though.

They allow campfires, which is great, but don't allow you to gather your own firewood (at least not in the high season). They charged us £10 for a wheelbarrow full of seasoned firewood. However I also managed to illegally smuggle in a couple of bags of firewood from home in the boot of the car. (You can drive down quite close to the woodland pitches).

We have only been in the summer months, and whilst it was busy, it didn't seem crowded. This time of year I think you'll almost have the place to yourselves.

In short it's not exactly the wilds of Canada or Scandinavia, but for a temporary option not too far away it's probably OK.

BTW, I'm still happy to lay on some Field Archery one Sunday in the Dunwich area.

Thank you for that Info, its sound ok just for a fill in untill the members of the group get a perm "home", but hey you never know, Hopefully with a regular meet there my well get a better deal, espaicaly in low season, for stuff like the real deep in the woods stuff I can see a couple of trips coming about...

No doubt when we are up and runnig as a gruop will will take you up on your kind offer of some feild archery

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have not managed to get to see the camp site today, but will try next weekend, I am up for making the 18th a go'er, anyway, at either orchard or an other venue.

Who's up for it?

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Boys

I am up for the 18th Orchard will be OK if it not raining, as it can get a bit boggy under foot when it has been raining for a bit.

I will be taking my army sleeping bag this time round if the temps stay as they are.
Speak soon.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
So frar for the 18th Feb
If Orchard is a bit wet we can try the 2nd spot that we thought about of return to the one that we used last time, see what happens.

So far for the 18th

Stu
Ben
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
What one you order? I've got the basic one and I love it .
Got myself new Gore-tex coat, waterproof walking boots, sleeping bag liner, waterproof trousers, bandit, and a few other lil bits.

I got a Travel Hammock, thought it was an alrounderand the one to go for, I like new toys, lol. I looking at tring to make a under quilt for it out of an old sleeping bag of the kids I have got.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Any other takers? My mate should be joining us as well do that's 4.

Stu
Rum
Ben
Matt

Thats good news, I went to Orchards this morning, it looks OK, the woods are not that large, the owner was not there so could not chat to him, the place was empty and covered in snow, I did phone his mobile, he did say that the camp-site was water logged, it felt ok to me, just a bit hard and frozen, lol.

As has been said on here I feel that it would be ok just to get away, and have a night out, for a group as long as it was not too big, lol. I will email him and see what he will charge us but he will not move on the wood cost's.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just had an email from orchards, it looks like they will want to charge a re vamped charge of their normal charge of £16 for a tent with 4 people, ie for 4 people it will be £4 each. but i still await to see, I am wondering if he really wants us there.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
So it's not 16 each if we using hammocks and tarps?

Well I am trying to get it dow as low as possible , bearing a in mind he has NO one else there, then it depends on if he wants us or not, I am aiming for £4 each, still got no email answer yet....

OK its not quite the wilds but at least its somewere we can use as a base and not get hassle, untill we sorted with a proper woods, also ok when we are the only ones there, as it get busy there will be to mant people about.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

I think it is a fair compromise, its weather he wants us their or not.
I have stayed there on my own last Oct but it can get a bit boggy so I stayed at the top.
it should be fun, should I bring the 3 steel rods so we can hang our pots of it.

Regards
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu

I think it is a fair compromise, its weather he wants us their or not.
I have stayed there on my own last Oct but it can get a bit boggy so I stayed at the top.
it should be fun, should I bring the 3 steel rods so we can hang our pots of it.

Regards
Rum

Hi Tony,

I have just chased him, as still now answer, I have told him 4 to 6 people in tarps/one man tents, yeah it will be good to have the steel rods, save watering the fire, lol.

I am hopefully going to order a smaller tarp from DD this week, and will bring my big one so we can make a communial shelter, just incase i dont get the DD one can I brorrow one from someone please, I'll aslo bring my Coleman light again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE