Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I use a DD frontline, and a travel hammock, one thing I would suggest this time of year if your only using a wool blanket, bring a couple of other things to give you more insulation if the temp really drops.

I been busy in the Man Cave last night with our new Gas Home-made Furnace and Anvil..., now got an updated Tripod hanging system......:):):)

Our Man Cave with Forge and Anvil...
2013-03-15 18.28.08.jpg

Tripod
2013-03-16 10.36.29.jpg

Tripod with Extension
2013-03-16 10.37.59.jpg

So I am now going to have a go at making more things.... :):):):), can be made to order.. lol

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That sound brillient :cool::cool: Simon... Thanks for organising it.. gives me a break..

Easter Weekender Attending:
- SJStuart (both nights, both meals)
-Remeavithantos (both nights, both meals) will help out with food requirements as required and bring 25 litres of water.
-mitch66 both nights and both meals (i will also bring 20L of water)
-Big Stu, both nights, and both meals, I will bring the normal items.... :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just got a shipment from DD:

> 30 meters of Amsteel-Blue
> 10 meters of shot cord
> 12 tarp pegs (with guy-out lines)
> 2 Karabiners

The Amsteel and short cord are for a new type of tarp line I've invented. It's knotless, much less complicated to set up than a Fig 9, can be tensioned with just a pull, and then is self-tensioning (thanks to the shot cord), and is then released with two fingers.

I'll show all soon enough, and I'll be making them to order if anyone wants them for their tarps!

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Light a Carbon Stick in the hand warmer at 11 this morning , its still warm now over 6 hrs later.... :), I will be buying some more Sticks....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Had to go to a knitting store today to get some tools I need for working with Amsteel-Blue. A 4mm Tunisian Crochet Needle, a 4mm knitting needle, and an "interchangable needle cable" (though I could easily use monofilament fishing line or even my emergency wire saw instead of that last item).

Decided to grab a half-decent sewing kit while I was there (never know when you'll need to resew a tarp tape or even a strap on a backpack etc)

Anyway, I now have what I need to make my crazy Amsteel contraption, so that's my job for tonight (to actually build the thing) and I'll be testing it tomorrow (in crappy weather, no doubt).

Anyway, if any of you decide you want to make your own whoopie slings (or anything else with Amsteel-Blue), the needle size is 4mm (or US size 6). The 4mm Tunisian Crochet Needle is much, much easier to work with than just a normal knitting needle. It must be Tunisian as those are the only ones long enough for the task (typical European/American crochet needles are only about 2 inches long... not long enough)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice little forge you have there Stu, is that your own design?

The Burner is Home made and is very effective, it was a copy of plans on the internet with a few mods, we have been working with injecting compressed air into the top of jet tube to see what temps we can obtain,and that the Gas jet hole has to increase, so will stick with what we have, that one is a prototype, but we do have some one piece burners that have been welded, the box is also a prototype to see if it is the size we require,and also will have a door at each end so will be more economical with the gas, and its looking that we have hit on just the right size, so will finish it off properly.

We did try with using a number of things to build the actual furnace, but found that the way we have done it to be the best, so far, I am going to put a permanent pyrometer in it soon to get heat control more accurate, that will then mean its easier to control heat treatment, we have also spoken about a multi burner as the one we have done really chucks out the heat, and a smaller burner would be helpful for lower temps.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have spoken to Tony today and he's coming to the Easter weekend

Easter Weekender Attending:
- SJStuart (both nights, both meals)
-Remeavithantos (both nights, both meals) will help out with food requirements as required and bring 25 litres of water.
-mitch66 both nights and both meals (i will also bring 20L of water)
-Big Stu, both nights, and both meals, I will bring the normal items.... :)
-Rumcelt, both night, and both meals.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Pukka forge..... time to get some spring steel and make a nice Kukri, I made one on a forge similar to yours when I was an apprentice. Never got round to hollow grinding it though, I should dig it out and finnish it really.

Im all excited, last night I ordered a DD Frontline Hammock, a DD Hammock sleeve, whoopie slings, tree huggers, two carrabinas a 12x5 mapedition bottle holder for my cook kit, 5" tacties to fit it to my falcon 2and Alphalite cutlery set, really could do with a good wool blanket now before the 29th or it could be quite chilly. Im not going to bother with a sleeping bag, just a blanket, I will see how I get on, I might regret that idea but want to keep my kit small.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I can bring one of my two army wool blankets for you, but I can tell you for a fact that if the night temp is below 10C you're going to be bloody cold... so I'll bring a spare sleeping bag (it's actually a summer-rated bag, but with wool blanket should be just enough to keep the chill out).

I placed an order with DD yesterday evening (around 5PM) and it arrived this morning before 12! I couldn't believe how quickly they got it to me... they really are quality people (with quality products, too).

Since we're meeting on Tuesday, you'll have your gear by then so I can help you get it all set up so you'll be able to do it there-after. I'll help you do the modification to your hammock so you can use the whoopie slings properly (best modification I've made to the hammock by far)

I'm also hoping my new toy arrives on Tuesday... because I'm really, really excited about this one! Feeling like a kid on christmas, despite the slight "buyers' remorse" of having parted with £300 for it (I can afford it, I just hate parting with that much money in one go). You (Iambosscat) will be the first to see it in action (and you'll no doubt find yourself either wanting to buy one, or deciding to make one... which I'm sure you could do with your machine shop)

I'm excited, and I'm building the first of my new-design tarp lines right now too :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
awesome cant wait to see it, hopefully it will all be delivered for Tuesday. I already have my tarp so minimum I could set that up.

Excellent :)

Don't forget to get yourself a ground sheet or cheap ground tarp!
I made the mistake of not buying one when I went to the group overnighter in February and ended up putting my 3x3m DD tarp down in the mud. Everyone basically called me a philistine for doing that (so now I have some cheap tarps just for putting on the ground)

Ouch of interest, what tarp did you end up getting? My personal opinion is that the DD XL (3m by 4.5m) is the perfect size tarp for hammocking (and all-round really).

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I already have a ground sheet, Unfortunately I already got a DD 3x3 Tarp maybe this was a mistake? I will try it and if its too small I can always get a bigger one later.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I already have a ground sheet, Unfortunately I already got a DD 3x3 Tarp maybe this was a mistake? I will try it and if its too small I can always get a bigger one later.

Well, see what you think of it when you try it out. The guys at DD are awesome, so if it isn't right for you I'm sure they'll let you exchange it for the XL :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE