Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah north west, that's not that bad really, just wish it was not this travelodge, lol,

Back home tomorrow, got a 9am meeting with a customer...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
well been home an hour thank goodness, and found a new toy...... a Charcoal Hand warmer.... so like a little kid opened it with out taking off my coat had to light a stick to try it out, and its been going just over 1/2 hr and giving loads of heat out ......:):)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I did not think It worth it for the price, this is the one I have purchased from the guy in Newbourne, I did not collect tho, but may pop along and get a load of rods from him, and a few other items...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170914880496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I only put about a 1/3 of the rod in and its been going for about 3/4 hr now... i'll let it go out and try a full length rod soon, :)

Now thinking about buying a second one to put in the sleeping bag to warm it up... lol

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
If they burn for 3+ hours, I'll definitely make the investment in at least two (as you say, one for the sleeping bag)

Dry heat solutions are better than hot water bottles because hot water bottles lead to more condensation.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I jsut looked it up on the internet, and the general conceness is that they last 6 hrs.... saying that I only put about 1/3 to 1/4 of the rod in and its still glowing hot.....only got about another 10 mins in it I would of thought so looking at it if its a linear scale a whole rod should last at least 4 hrs...

Plus you not got the possibly of a leak....

If you do want something from the guy off ebay tell him your part of the group, he should remember me, I brought the Dutch oven of him, paid cash, and got a discount as well... I did tell him we had a group, and will send every one to him for bits.... worth a punt... Think His name is Herman, he did give me his number but I lost it with all the others

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
thats true........ lol

I know Tony has one in side his jacket almost all day long when its cold, and apart from his pipe I have not seen him smoke yet....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I bought some items from this seller too! Asked if I could collect and they completely ignored me, took 5 days to deliver (from 11 miles down the road... crazy, right?) and the magnesium firesteel I bought from them was fake! Nothing but a lump of aluminium with a really thin flint stuck to it. The canteen I bought wasn't Pat 58, the cup wasn't stainless steel (it was super low-grade aluminimum crap from China) and didn't fit the canteen.
In fact, none of the items I bought from that seller were as described... and ended up in the bin (and the seller on my "****list")

Your experience may vary, of course... just sharing mine in case you get a raw deal and wonder why!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Oh, I had quick reply s from him no problems, I tend to ask him to just pop in and pick things up, this one for the postage would of cost me more in diesel, so got it sent, think it took about 3 days. so not too bad.

I've never found the thin fero rods much cop and the ones on the blocks I've found to be a magnesium alloy, (shame you still not got it I could have had it tested at work on the spectrometer), so not much cop any way , never had a really good one, they just make it easy to hold the rod.... trouble is things like the the reseller has now idea what the manufacture has used, and he has sourced it with good faith...

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I do still have it (because at least the flint produces a spark) and you're welcome to have it tested.

I've shaved piles off it and tried everything imaginable to get them to light... even took a blowtorch to it and it simply doesn't burn. It has all the flame potential of my left testicle!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
bring it with you next time, and I'll take it in and get it tested for you, as I say its probably an alloy, .... :-(

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Will do! I'd be interested to find out if anything shy of injecting it into the sun gets it to actually ingnite, because there's not a chance in hell anything you could do out in the woods with bushcraft supplies (or even an oxy-acetylene torch) ever will!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Will do! I'd be interested to find out if anything shy of injecting it into the sun gets it to actually ingnite, because there's not a chance in hell anything you could do out in the woods with bushcraft supplies (or even an oxy-acetylene torch) ever will!

Have you tried a Fresnel lens yet?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Have you tried a Fresnel lens yet?

Ever since I was a kid, I've been using fresnel lenses to start fires. I wasn't so much a pyro kid, I just enjoyed pissing about on Britain's one week of sunlight each year ;)

I have a Fresnel lens (flat credit-card sized one) in every pack (they also make an effective magnifying glass when pulling splinters etc)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've just noticed... that the 29th March is a long weekend...... its Easter Bank Holiday:D:D:D, anyone fance a wild couple of nights somewere... Friday, Saturday or Sunday night..... :cool:

Somewere we can leave the motors easierly,

Anyone up for it and Suggestions.

Rendlesham...??
Donnyland Woods...??

Maybe Simons place it thats ok?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I've just noticed... that the 29th March is a long weekend...... its Easter Bank Holiday:D:D:D, anyone fance a wild couple of nights somewere... Friday, Saturday or Sunday night..... :cool:

Somewere we can leave the motors easierly,

Anyone up for it and Suggestions.

Rendlesham...??
Donnyland Woods...??

Maybe Simons place it thats ok?

My place is certainly an option... I'd just need to know what nights and how many. Cars can be brought right up to the pitching area (whether you're a land or tree dweller) so no worries about bringing ludacris amounts of gear ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
My place is certainly an option... I'd just need to know what nights and how many. Cars can be brought right up to the pitching area (whether you're a land or tree dweller) so no worries about bringing ludacris amounts of gear ;)

If its OK with you mate, Can we make that a date?.... say Friday and Saturday?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE