Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
For anyone that wants to make money easily, there's silly stuff like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Jame...Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item565543158b

Buy them from here and sell them cheaper than that first link http://www.artisanleather.co.uk/large-saddlers-harness-needles---no-2-size---pack-of-25-354-p.asp

so frustrating I have to buy from two different places if I want stuff.

Thats how it goes I am afraid, not all thier stuff is cheap...

You have to look in loads of places

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Decathlon are pretty good value.
They have a reflective sleeping mat for £9 in the store. It's very thick for a foam mat.

I went to the store at lakeside on my way through last weekend. They have lots of very thick fabric trousers ideal for bushcraft.

I refuse to pay £9 for a foil blanket glued to a mat :p i got a foil blanket for £1 from amazon at one point and I can get 2 foam mats for £7 that I can layer up and make very thick with lots of foil in between! That being said, £9 isn't too bad I guess. But I'd rather make one to my specifications for around that same or less :D
I can't decide between foam and inflatable.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Went home last night after spending the last four nights in Bury, and thought I better ctach up with some gear checks..

Looked at the Axe heads in the molasses and they are coming along nicely.. the bigger one may need a couple more weeks to get rid of the rust but its on teh way and the small one perhaps another week.

also looking at my arrow collection last night... and it seems to be suffering from loss and breakages.. think I better make some more.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am doing alright for arrows at the mo, good ones that is, only broke one at the shoot, I have broken 5 old crappy ones this week though :)

Hi guys, my axe handle is coming a little looser every week or so since I sanded and re-oiled it (the finish was diabolical) The handle already has a 'factory' installed (looks like it it's so neat) metal wedge and theres nothing protruding so I won't be able to get it out. Is it worth trying to trying a wedge or nail in? Or should I just look at re-handling as soon as possible seeing as I the very end of my handle is a bit screwed up from treated woodworm and as it's a bit loose I can probably just knock it out with minimal (i hope) fuss...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
comming lose... have you droped the axe in a pot of oil, head first.. allow the helve to soak up some oil and swell...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
nope!
Don't have that much oil around yet but more importantly..I gad no idea you used oil. I've read people doing it with water.
Surely the swelling is just a temporary measure to fix the problem? at some point it's shrinking again...

Oil drys out slower......

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
When we we doing the smoker?

I'm chopping down a small apple tree next week. It has lots of thin branches that would dry out quickly.

Would be handy if the alternative is smoking with ash!

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
yeah, i just wish there was a way so it wouldn't dry out and I didnt have to waste a bunch of oil everytime i want to use my axe. I'll see what happens when I get back to Suffolk.

I guess it depends how much it's moving. If it's only shifting a little bit then soaking it in oil for a week should solve the problem indefinitely.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When we we doing the smoker?

I'm chopping down a small apple tree next week. It has lots of thin branches that would dry out quickly.

Would be handy if the alternative is smoking with ash!

I reckon if you were to bark them they should be dry enough to use later this year

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I reckon if you were to bark them they should be dry enough to use later this year

Yeah, but on 2nd thoughts...
I'll be doing a lot of carving as ill want to rough out all the spoons and protects while green. I'll have a bunch of shavings and I can just dry them out in the oven.
Shavings dry in a couple of hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE