Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Nice bit of ebaying. Have you weighed it? It would be quite easy to work out what axe it is by the weight.
Original helv?
I don't suppose you can make out the initials?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Pics would help, I would guess it is one of the old ones with out makers initials, from before they became trendy

1 1/4lb head, not sure if original helve but I think so, it's got the nice GBA style, grain is straight with the handle and the varnish was still there, albeit ruined.

Put 4 ascending grades of sandpaper over it and oiled the helve. Followed by a wire brush and white spirit scrub on the pitting and paint left over on the head and a final sharpen and an oil coat on that as well

Pictures are uploading, shouldn't take too long...

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Just got back from the boot sale. No kent pattern axes at all. Sorry Mark.

I did manage to pick up a large suede coat for £2. Nice large back panels for making pouches.

No problem Russ. (you're Russell, the guy that brought the food, right?)Thanks for checking. I'm looking at a couple on eBay. If I'm lucky, I'll have one tomorrow afternoon for £10. It appears to be a 19inch Kent with a 5inch blade. We'll see how that goes.

Do you make pouches? I've been looking for one, but they cost!

m

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I been car bootying today.. Two old axes for me to plop in Molasses.... Tidy up.... Rehelve.. Then remask... Shold have some fun with the large one.. Be good to find out what it is.. One is a small 1 1/2 lb'er with a 16" helve the other is a 5 to 6lb'er......

Will stick a picy up later.....

Was the head painted blue before, or nato green?
No idea. I Don't know what Nato green is. I have no experience of old equipment. Or much of bushcraft for that matter, hence the uber-newbie status. (21y/o)
That's why I come here :D

Pics would help, I would guess it is one of the old ones with out makers initials, from before they became trendy

Hi guys got some pics:
Here is the Album link: http://s941.photobucket.com/user/ceryni1/media/Bushcraft/WP_20140412_001.jpg.html

WP_20140412_008.jpg

WP_20140412_019.jpg
nasty looking scuffs on back
WP_20140412_020.jpg

WP_20140412_021.jpg

WP_20140412_015.jpg

Last edited:

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
No problem Russ. (you're Russell, the guy that brought the food, right?)Thanks for checking. I'm looking at a couple on eBay. If I'm lucky, I'll have one tomorrow afternoon for £10. It appears to be a 19inch Kent with a 5inch blade. We'll see how that goes.

Do you make pouches? I've been looking for one, but they cost!

m

Sounds ideal. Yep, that's me.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nato green is the green used by Nato, from the picture posted you can see the blue paint in the letters and under the poll. the axe is a good one though, very popular on here a few years back when a load of Swedish army axes flooded the market, Hults Bruks made the same thing

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
No idea. I Don't know what Nato green is. I have no experience of old equipment. Or much of bushcraft for that matter, hence the uber-newbie status. (21y/o)

Hi guys got some pics:
Here is the Album link: http://s941.photobucket.com/user/ceryni1/media/Bushcraft/WP_20140412_001.jpg.html

WP_20140412_008.jpg

WP_20140412_019.jpg
nasty looking scuffs on back
WP_20140412_020.jpg

WP_20140412_021.jpg

WP_20140412_015.jpg

I can't fully see the size. But it looks like a western felling axe, but on a helve that is much too small.
Might work out nicely.

Looks like an older one as they do not make that shape anymore.
Any idea of the weight?

Defiantly a keeper.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I been car bootying today.. Two old axes for me to plop in Molasses.... Tidy up.... Rehelve.. Then remask... Shold have some fun with the large one.. Be good to find out what it is.. One is a small 1 1/2 lb'er with a 16" helve the other is a 5 to 6lb'er......

Will stick a picy up later.....

Do you have any plans for the smaller one?

Was the head painted blue before, or nato green?

I can't fully see the size. But it looks like a western felling axe, but on a helve that is much too small.
Might work out nicely.

Looks like an older one as they do not make that shape anymore.
Any idea of the weight?

Defiantly a keeper.

It wasn't green it had an old crappy varnish left on the helve which took about 2 strokes of S2 sandpaper to remove. The head just has that bit of blue.

It's hatchet size ish and the head has 1 1/4 stamped on it So I assume that's the weight of the head. Helve is 13" ;15" is overall length. Definitely rucksack size. Weight is 1lb 12oz in total.
I don't think it could be a felling one, but I will definitely be keeping it.
Storytime:
My mums partner had an old axe in the shed and I asked him if he would sell it to me if he doesn't use it. He said as he never uses it I can have it.
It's probably about 2/12 lbs - 3 1/2 head ( I think, I haven't a clue really feels like a kilo and a half ish. Not good at imperial), needs a new helve (current one is a bit knackered I think but measures from memory about 26")
Feels nice and manageable and once restored with a new helve will still go in a large backpack albeit with the end sticking out a bit. Also the head has a lovely profile to it, like a hultafors or wetterlings. I can't see the makers mark.
The head needs to be slopped with paint thinners to remove the thick black paint all over it and the bevel is a terrible angle and I'm going to have my work cut out with the files. But once I've finished I think I'll have a special relationship.
This way I'll have a small axe for spoon carving and small more detailed jobs, smaller branches and kindling, and a larger one for tougher jobs that I can rely on to do splitting and felling. /story

I need a mask/sheath though. Know anyone that does them? - using a corner of Amazon packaging atm.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi guys got some pics:
Here is the Album link:

Nice looking Hand Axe there, the helve looks about right to me for a starter, you may want to shorten it once you get to using it for carving :), thats if you find it too long once you choke it up, looks like you have a couple of nicks in the bite at the mo what may show up when you carve with it, saying that if your using it for splitting it may be better to keep it longer.. if your ever at the meet I have a selection of helve lengths that your welcome to see if they suit you.. it always a pain finding out and can be a long journey...

I have made the odd Mask for mates, may restart next month but had a break from being a maker at the mo.

Do you have any plans for the smaller one?

I do.. I quite like it so may re-helve it with a shorter helve, then if it handles nice, it may become my carver.. :), I am always on the look out for axes, I did see a nice one but the guy wanted tooo much for it, and it was badly abused on the poll

Nice looking Hand Axe there, the helve looks about right to me for a starter, you may want to shorten it once you get to using it for carving :), thats if you find it too long once you choke it up, looks like you have a couple of nicks in the bite at the mo what may show up when you carve with it, saying that if your using it for splitting it may be better to keep it longer.. if your ever at the meet I have a selection of helve lengths that your welcome to see if they suit you.. it always a pain finding out and can be a long journey...

I have made the odd Mask for mates, may restart next month but had a break from being a maker at the mo.

I think the dinks you see are a trick of the light, in person the blade is pretty much spot on as far as I can see.
I just hope the guy who shaped the bevel didn't ruin the temper with a grinding wheel. We'll find out!! If he did, I'm making my own forge and I'll have to get round to re-heat-treating it eventually. I sent him a message and hopefully I'll find out

The length feels ok at the moment, not getting in the way as I choke up on it, though the treated worm end might have to be chopped off at some point regardless, shorting it by an inch or two...

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
A bit of leather restoration…. I bought this ammo pouch on eBay, and it was ratty! Dry, stiff, awful! After a few days of Neatsfoot Oil and finally Dubbin, they are now completely restored. They are soft, waterproof and look great. Here are the photos:

before.jpgAfter.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice work on the pouches, they are very useful, I have a couple of the single ones, I am sure Stu has some too, I know that he had a few for sale.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Nice work on the pouches, they are very useful, I have a couple of the single ones, I am sure Stu has some too, I know that he had a few for sale.

Thanks! I enjoyed bring them back. They are, though, of a peculiar size, and I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out what will go in them :) At the moment I've got paracord in one, and a SAK and a spare rolled-up sack (for collecting tinder) in the other. I suppose that these will also fit in my cargo pockets, but what fun is that?

I've done a bit of leather restoration before, but there is always so much time between projects that I forget how easy it is, what products to use, and how good the results are. But what I always ending up re-learning is that Neatsfoot Oil and Dubbin will solve all leather problems. They've never failed me.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
In mine I have a small first aid kit, opinel no6, k&m match case, turbo lighter and a fenix e01 torch, a tight fit though.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good work on the pouches, i keep a small ouch kit in one and a bottle of anti bactiral gel in the other,

I think Ive got a couple mor Chris left.. Not sure with out looking,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE