Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
A bit of leather restoration…. I bought this ammo pouch on eBay, and it was ratty! Dry, stiff, awful! After a few days of Neatsfoot Oil and finally Dubbin, they are now completely restored. They are soft, waterproof and look great. Here are the photos:

View attachment 29809View attachment 29810

I bought pouches just like those off Stu last month and have restored them with autoglym leather care, they came up really well. Im very pleased with them (and they don't even have a Maxpedition logo!:rolleyes:)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That little one looks like it will be quite usefull especially with a proper length helve.

It feels a nice weight when you hold it nearer the head so looking forward to trying it out once I've de-rusted it, cleaned off most of the damaged bits, I am deff going for a short helve on this one.., the Larger one I am looking forward to seeing how long the Molasses take to clean off all the rust.. as you can see its very rusty.. and with all those pits should leave and intersting finish :)... it may look like a hammered effect...

Thanks! I enjoyed bring them back. They are, though, of a peculiar size, and I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out what will go in them :) At the moment I've got paracord in one, and a SAK and a spare rolled-up sack (for collecting tinder) in the other. I suppose that these will also fit in my cargo pockets, but what fun is that?

I've done a bit of leather restoration before, but there is always so much time between projects that I forget how easy it is, what products to use, and how good the results are. But what I always ending up re-learning is that Neatsfoot Oil and Dubbin will solve all leather problems. They've never failed me.

Is there anything similar you can do with canvas/leather game bags? I have an old canvas and leather game bag from my great-grandfather, but's too stiff and awful feeling to do anything with. I'd love to restore it...

Also, if there are any wine -drinkers among you, please save my **** and fill out this survey for my dissertation, It takes 20 seconds if you don't want to do the long bits (which are optional)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HFLJT83

also pass it around if you want to be a proper gentleman :D

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
With my old canvas and leather golf club bag I washed it in the bath with hand washing powder a couple of times with a bit of fabric softener in it, when well rinsed and dried it was nice ans soft again, on the leather I used nikwax leather conditioner (A couple of coats) and it was as good as new, not bad for a bag around 100 years old, I had my hickory clubs in it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Got back home tonight after being away since Thrusday, taken the helve out of the smaller axe, and broken out the stub left of the larger axe helve... they are now sitting in a nice Molasses Bath.. now to wait two weeks...... think that should give me time to sort out the others lol.....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Less the Three weeks to the Monthly Meet, and still no Skill Share, anyone take this on Please.

Lets not let these drop, lets keep up the momentum, it would be a shame to not bother and stop and they dissapear due to lack of interest, I know some will say they have no skills, this could be something you could learn at home and bring to a meet and share.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Is there anything similar you can do with canvas/leather game bags? I have an old canvas and leather game bag from my great-grandfather, but's too stiff and awful feeling to do anything with. I'd love to restore it...

Also, if there are any wine -drinkers among you, please save my **** and fill out this survey for my dissertation, It takes 20 seconds if you don't want to do the long bits (which are optional)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HFLJT83

also pass it around if you want to be a proper gentleman :D

Canvas can typically be restored with a soap wash and a wax coating. I've made my own canvas wax, but have also used Barbour waterproof coating. The leather parts simply need a good dose of Neatsfoot and then Dubbin.

As for you dissertation…. what level dissertation is this? Undergraduate? MA? Does your research question allow wine-drinking bushcrafters to be considered part of the population you are examining? This a common sampling problem. You should know that I'm an academic who teaches research methods to postgraduate students. :)

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Less the Three weeks to the Monthly Meet, and still no Skill Share, anyone take this on Please.

Lets not let these drop, lets keep up the momentum, it would be a shame to not bother and stop and they dissapear due to lack of interest, I know some will say they have no skills, this could be something you could learn at home and bring to a meet and share.

Russell, I would help do a sharpening skill-share. You've been trained by Longstride and are starting a sharpening business, and I've got enough experience with razors to be a solid assistant. I can also bring some exotic sharping stones, like a Black Arkansas, a Coticule, a Dragon's Tongue and a Charnley Forest. I can also bring a Naniwa 1000, a ton of diamond pastes and a couple of strops. I'm sure that I also have few India stones and some others. Everyone would love to go home with a sharper knife.

Russell, I would help do a sharpening skill-share. You've been trained by Longstride and are starting a sharpening business, and I've got enough experience with razors to be a solid assistant. I can also bring some exotic sharping stones, like a Black Arkansas, a Coticule, a Dragon's Tongue and a Charnley Forest. I can also bring a Naniwa 1000, a ton of diamond pastes and a couple of strops. I'm sure that I also have few India stones and some others. Everyone would love to go home with a sharper knife.
I think this is a great idea. pity I'm probably going to miss it... :(

Canvas can typically be restored with a soap wash and a wax coating. I've made my own canvas wax, but have also used Barbour waterproof coating. The leather parts simply need a good dose of Neatsfoot and then Dubbin.

As for you dissertation…. what level dissertation is this? Undergraduate? MA? Does your research question allow wine-drinking bushcrafters to be considered part of the population you are examining? This a common sampling problem. You should know that I'm an academic who teaches research methods to postgraduate students. :)

Undergraduate dissertation, and if you are offering help I'll gladly take it because apparently according to my supervisor I'm going to have to pull out all the stops to get something passable done in time :(
All I want to do is sit in the woods :( I'm so fed up with uni and at the last hurdle is not the place to feel depressed.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'd be happy to do a skill share in sharpening. But we only did sharps last month.

Thats my feeling we dont want to keep having the same skills croping up every meet, my feeling is have a basics month perhaps every four months... Sharps/Fire lighting/tarpolgy..

The June Meet is dedicated to the shetler build so we need one for May and July :), it would be nice to post the skill shares in advance, maybe have them noted in the list on the bottom on the Meet Thread :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE