Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
How long does a full burner go for? I know they are bigger than tbe civvie ones, this may restrict the choice for tne menu.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am not sure.. lol not used it for ages, but thats what sort of got me thinking.. do we use them to the real potential :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I am lost now, lol

For some reason, when I post on this thread the post doesn't show up until it's been approved by a mod. But it fits the post in to the thread at the original time.
So I last posted at 10am. But it's only just showing at 6pm. And there have been dozens of posts since. So it's a bit buried.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Sure.
This is/was a Kent pattern axe that I reshaped at home. I messed up the heat treatment on the grinder.
I removed it from the handle and tidied it up on the sanding wheel then heat treated it. Stu helped temper it and it ended up being a very nice blue oxidisation. Then he cut me a new wedge and fitted it back to the handle.

A quick sharpen and oil and its in the best condition since it was made 100 years ago.

Next up I made a silly knife from a huge 6mm thick file.

I had no intention of making a sensible knife. I just wanted to practise hitting some hot metal and shaping it.
It ugly, but I managed to make the shape I intended. It's far more than a days work so ill start something a bit smaller next time.

Here it is.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
For some reason, when I post on this thread the post doesn't show up until it's been approved by a mod. But it fits the post in to the thread at the original time.
So I last posted at 10am. But it's only just showing at 6pm. And there have been dozens of posts since. So it's a bit buried.

Yeah thats what happens untill about 10 posts, it to stop spammers ect :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That knife is no problem, it just needs a grind and a linish :).. and it would clean up no problem, would be a nice little slasher/machette :).. did you get any chance to start to make a Flint Steel ?

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
That knife is no problem, it just needs a grind and a linish :).. and it would clean up no problem, would be a nice little slasher/machette :).. did you get any chance to start to make a Flint Steel ?

I didn't but only because I know where I can find some large square nails that I know are high carbon. They are about 8inches long. Like floorboard nails but bigger.
It will be a lot easier than shredding a large file to bits.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ozzy are you dropping the boy off tomorrow morning? If you want to bring some of the parts with you I will glue them up for you and get them back to you the day after if that helps?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Charlie isnt at school tomorrow and I have the delights of waiting for a builder to come and assess the damage from the chimney fire. Thanks for the offer though, if the postie doesnt bring it tomorrow I mayhave to ppay you a visit:)

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ok let me know as it will not be a problem. Going to have a play with the primitive bows and self nocked arrows tomorrow and see how I get on before I call Del and book myself in to the shoot.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Yup postie has just delivered my jig, still waiting for the builder though who should have been here at 11.
I will be fletching the arrows tomorrow when Charlie is at school.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ok let me know as it will not be a problem. Going to have a play with the primitive bows and self nocked arrows tomorrow and see how I get on before I call Del and book myself in to the shoot.
Primitive .. I must admit something I would liek to do as well.. maybe I'll have a look at doing some arrows first.

Yup postie has just delivered my jig, still waiting for the builder though who should have been here at 11.
I will be fletching the arrows tomorrow when Charlie is at school.

Nice one Bud.. looking forward to shooting as a group :).. dont forget to tell Del we would like to be in a group togther :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE