Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi there.

I met stu yesterday at the workshop and after begging me all day I gave in a joined the group.
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the next meet. I've done a fair bit of camping, but virtually no experience in real bushcraft other than lots of carving and knife making, mostly indoors.
It will be the first time I've put a hammock up so if anyone wants to help I can pay in casserole and dumplings.

Hi Russell, welcome to the thread.. it was good to meet you, as Steve (Cromm) says always post the pics.. we all like to see a pic :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Hi,
Hope you can post photos of the knives or carvings you have made? Good to have a new person join in.

Sure.
This is/was a Kent pattern axe that I reshaped at home. I messed up the heat treatment on the grinder.
I removed it from the handle and tidied it up on the sanding wheel then heat treated it. Stu helped temper it and it ended up being a very nice blue oxidisation. Then he cut me a new wedge and fitted it back to the handle.

A quick sharpen and oil and its in the best condition since it was made 100 years ago.

Next up I made a silly knife from a huge 6mm thick file.

I had no intention of making a sensible knife. I just wanted to practise hitting some hot metal and shaping it.
It ugly, but I managed to make the shape I intended. It's far more than a days work so ill start something a bit smaller next time.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I will be up for that Stu, as long as the day was right. If I remember rightly the last one was on a Sunday, so if its the same that should be no problem.

OK mate, I'll see what dates I can have a look see, it will prob be in April now, as we have a couple of things to do in March :) I may even open it up on the main forum as well :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If I can get my arrows fletched in time I will be at the shoot, my jig has not arrived yet, if its here today I should be able to get them done if not then I wont have time before the weekend

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
If I can get my arrows fletched in time I will be at the shoot, my jig has not arrived yet, if its here today I should be able to get them done if not then I wont have time before the weekend

I ve got a jig you can borrow :) if you need one..:)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve been thinking....

Yes....

Yet again... another Challenge...... I was rumaging in my Stove/Cook Kit Box and the dam Swiss Army Trangia (SAT) came apart as it does, lol...

Now I know that loads of us Bushy peeps use them and have them... Beeing a sad git.. the grey matter started to pump , and the cogg's sort of went round..

How about a Challenge a weekend/over nighter just using a SAT... thats no Boil in the Bag's allowed, no other stoves.. or billys, just the Standard SAT....to cook and make the brew's...

Fire is allowed but only for something to watch.... no cooking or heating of water allowed

What you think.....???????

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In a way yeah.. would be good fun trying to do something else apart from a stew though :)..

I am just trying to think of a ways of stretching the thought process and how we use our gear :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
they all stew type things, I know you can use a SAT like a Dutch Oven as well, Ok it does not hold the heat as such, but I sure you can do more the just a stewey type thing...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE