Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Hey all, been looking into packs alot last couple of weeks. The conclusion ive come to is the karrimor sf predator patrol 45. Has anyone got or used this pack as its alot of money to just try it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have it, with the 2 side pouches as well, it is one of the best 45l packs out there. if you are coming to the monthly meet I will bring it along for you to have a look. I picked up mine on this forum early last year secondhand for about £70

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hey all, been looking into packs alot last couple of weeks. The conclusion ive come to is the karrimor sf predator patrol 45. Has anyone got or used this pack as its alot of money to just try it

Ozzy has the 45 and I have 50... which I can bring along for you to look at as well. It's very similar (almost identical in fact), but is slightly larger and has a couple of different features.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thanx, I dont know how soon ill be able to do a meet :-( i just wanted to check no one said definitely dont get it its crappy, lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanx, I dont know how soon ill be able to do a meet :-( i just wanted to check no one said definitely dont get it its crappy, lol

I have three Karrimor Bergens. I have the Predator TECMAC 50, the Sabre 60-100, and the Predator SF 80-130. Winter-wise, the size of my sleeping bag (even compressed) alone eliminates the TECMAC 50 as a viable pack. If I had a down sleeping bag instead of synthetic, I'd almost certainly be able to use it, though!

I highly recommend you also invest in the PLCE Side Pouches. They're 12.5 litres each, and allow you to organize your load better. When I'm hammocking, one PLCE pocket is used for my tarp, ground sheet, and all the suspension stuff (carabiners, ridgeline, guy lines, pegs etc); the other is used for the hammock, underquilt, redundant lamp and small inflating pillow.
I have another PLCE pouch for the tent (because you can quickly swap the PLCE pouches over)

There's a thread somewhere on the forums (probably in Camp & Carry) about how to properly pack a Bergen.... it's useful info as it'll help make the load more comfortable to carry.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thanx thats really helpful. I post on here before about suitable packs and the reaponse i got was to decide whats going in it first. However, because i do lots of different length outings, my loads is always different and from the reviews and videos I have seen, the predator 45 should cover all options. I have a couple of pouches from an old old military bergen so im hoping these will fit, they have zips and buckles so they look like they will.

Also, on a much more personal note, but im very interested in opinions, i dont want to pay the extra for the multicam version so was thinking the coyote tan.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanx thats really helpful. I post on here before about suitable packs and the reaponse i got was to decide whats going in it first. However, because i do lots of different length outings, my loads is always different and from the reviews and videos I have seen, the predator 45 should cover all options. I have a couple of pouches from an old old military bergen so im hoping these will fit, they have zips and buckles so they look like they will.

Also, on a much more personal note, but im very interested in opinions, i dont want to pay the extra for the multicam version so was thinking the coyote tan.

All of mine are Coyote Tan... damned fine colour :)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester

I have the desert cam predator45 and it's a nice pack, (I'm thinking of selling as I now have a gossamer G4 as it's ultralight,) I use the side pouches from a 70l army plce bergan and although they are green they fit perfectly. With these pouches on its perfect for hiking with. The 70l with the side pouches on is easy to overload for hiking but very popular for those that camp near their vehicles.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Mine is green, so is my Vulcan and Munro, blends in better in the woods than brown or sand colours

That may be (though personally I disagree, especially in Suffolk where the sandy colours disappear very well in every season, while green sticks out like a sore thumb when the leaves have left the trees) but we're not guerrilla soldiers in Vietnam!

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
My stuff is black.......... cos it blends in better when I'm doing special ops tactical government stuff at night secretly......... however my response pack (now I know its called that) is Olive Drab.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
I prefere the coyote as I have a lot of multicam stuff and i find they work together pretty well. I havent seen the response pack in coyote tho which is a shame

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
My stuff is black.......... cos it blends in better when I'm doing special ops tactical government stuff at night secretly......... however my response pack (now I know its called that) is Olive Drab.

I do like the practicality of black as its an option most packs and pouches come in, its easy to get everything the same

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
My reason for using black was because my pack is a Maxpedition Falcon 2 used everyday, I take my lunch and stuff to work in it and I always carry a first aid kit, so black looks normal rather than camo etc, I also use it when I'm on my bike for phone and wallet and tools etc, so again it looks normal and blends in, I take it shooting where again it blends in rather than camo type colours, then when I go camping I put a couple of bottle holders on the side for some extra kit, whack a sleeping bag underneath and jobs a goodun........ so I use one pack for everything and attach pouches on for different activities, It seems to work well and people don't look at you like your playing Rambo when your in Tesco's. The reason my resoponse pack is OD is that I only got that for bushcraft. That was my thinking anyway.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Well... black is the new black ;)

Also... your post didn't self-destruct. Better call Simon Pegg ;)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Okay... so I'm now very late setting off... still waiting on the Mrs to get home and take over with the kids.

On a good note, the total gear I'm taking this time (including weight of pack, food and water) comes to just 8.2KG (18lbs). A new personal best not withstanding the Bivy Bag Challenge (which was just shy of 7KG)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE