Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
ooohhhhh...... with ya now :)

Hope you enjoy ya overnighter weather is good for it fresh but dry. Would have liked to come but staying at home this weekend as was away at the NEC last weekend.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Just thought I would look where to get a British Army Ration Pack from for the challenge........... Ebay £12 plus £5.50 P&P is this about right or am I looking in the wrong place. Lots of menus to choose from!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am not a great fan of either the Tan, or the camo of any type, I have a coyote DD XL, did like it to start with but not to sure now, I have a Woodland Camo Bergan, and don't really like it, it was the right price when I brought it, to me you just need green/drab colours when doing what we do, the way I think is camo tends to dream up paramilitary in most people, all we need to do is blend in and not look conspicuous, I find that people in camo are noticed more funnily enough.

I like the Karrimor kit myself, and like the SF side multi pouches, rather then the single 10/12 ltr single pouch.., saying that I also like the older Canvas sacks as well,

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, now I don't mind what colour my bag is, but I do like quality, longevity and a good fit. in this day and age if someone see's a group of people with a large backpack's they think your up to no good anyway regardless of its colour. The only thing I/we have going for us, is we're old farts and we look a little less Rambo, if anything homeless. Anyway I/we have so much equipment when I/we go out the colour of my/our tarp or bag is of no importance. You could probably see or smell our campfire smoke a mile away lol so inconspicuous we are not. PS nice kit Paul, later lads

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
One for you Karl, a gadget kettle on offer

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/van...e-gas-saving-12-00-normally-23-amazon-1798571

I think I have enough kettles, and I can't see it working well over an open fire.

On another note, re: the flat pack plastic plates. I have got them, and did recommend them. But it was "Got them this year (as in 2014)" as opposed to "Had them for years"!

They are quite cool though, and don't take up much space.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As you know I am one for the older type kit a it tested and field proven,

Yes I know that you can say that old kit was new once, but hey look at it plastic not only hardens with age, UV stabilized plastic is only UV stabilized for so long. it also work hardens, how many of us have had something with those plastic snaps and found that they break are are no good after a few uses.... myself I can not see the full set being functional in two years time with regular use, month after month...

Sorry Engineer coming out again...:)

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Well I was chainsawing most of yesterday at the out laws, had to take down a few wind blown trees two of which are big elm trees, one wasn't too great but the other is a gold mine of bow wood I think. Going back today to finish off and then shoot the Ghost to see how it shoots over distance compared to the critter gitter.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I was chainsawing most of yesterday at the out laws, had to take down a few wind blown trees two of which are big elm trees, one wasn't too great but the other is a gold mine of bow wood I think. Going back today to finish off and then shoot the Ghost to see how it shoots over distance compared to the critter gitter.

Will be good to see how it compares.. bet you still like the Critter Gitter :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Most of todays ultralight gear isnt designed to be durable, unless you go for titanium, look at the ultralight bags they tend to have a life expectancy of 100 miles, but then they weigh 1lb, not 6 that a berghaus or similar would.
It all boils down to if you want durability or light weight making it easier to cover the miles :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Most of todays ultralight gear isnt designed to be durable, unless you go for titanium, look at the ultralight bags they tend to have a life expectancy of 100 miles, but then they weigh 1lb, not 6 that a berghaus or similar would.
It all boils down to if you want durability or light weight making it easier to cover the miles :)

To a point I agree... the light weight kit is not built to last years...If I was to buy a sack that only was designed to last a few hundred miles I think I would book myself into rehab.. I must have been on something....:)

To me there is only really one way to be able to do miles easier is to carry less kit and take the bear essentials - lightweight is not comfortable, then get out there pound the ground, and of course lose the belly and get fitter......may be one reason I am not in to it any more...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Steve, Chris it was a good evening meeting more of the peeps from Oakwood last night at the Annual meal, I also book my self onto the Feb shoot :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I wish I could have made it. I cant make the shoot either as vicky will be working. Next weekend is going to be ok though to go over the club on Sunday

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I remember reading an article on ultralight backpacking, the author suggested taking sleeping pills to make it more comfortable at night as he was using summer weight bags in winter, but he was the sort to take only the clothes he started in, no hygiene kit or first aid kit and live off polo mints for a week.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats a shame about the shoot, I am looking forward to it :), I def up for teh Sunday, I am also going to the Club on the Saturday as well for the Maintenance day :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE