Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a spare outer for the Czech army bedroll outer if anyone wants one, I can bring it to the next meet if any interest.

when it comes to packs, I don't know how far you guys walk, but unless I have a decent pack 25km is pushing it for me, I like to be able to do 20km a day full kit, without suffering much.

Then I go for Osprey packs, the Talon series is my favourite, but they're ultra lightwieght, so although the one I tested a week in marrakech and 3 days in the Atlas mountains was more than up to the challenge, I've been told to go for the kestrel series, because they're more hard wearing.

That is, if you're going to spend money. If not, then make one. My neighbour made his out of old canvas and leather. It's just like those ones you put up as examples.
not only will it look awesome, and be cheap. you'll have the experience and pleasure and pride from doing it.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Saturday 18th, I'll be out again on one of my permissions.

I'll be out again also on the 24th, 25th and 26th (the Friday through the Sunday) testing out a brand new pack a company in the US has kindly sent me. I'll be testing it out as a solo loadout, and hiking between permissions during the days, pitching up and ground dwelling for the nights... minimalist (sort of like a Boonie, but without the tradition) setup (literally just sleep system, tarp, tools and basic cook kit... no bells or whistles [no hammocks]... oh and of course my compass and map, lest I get lost on the forest hikes between permissions)

Then I'm out again on Feb 1st.

All are welcome, just let me know if you're interested, which dates you're interested in and I'll send you the details of where and when to meet via PM.

Re the three day and night minimalist thing, you don't have to restrict your gear if you don't want to... though there will be long hikes involved so you may want to pack light ;)

Saturday 18th, I'll be out again on one of my permissions.

I'll be out again also on the 24th, 25th and 26th (the Friday through the Sunday) testing out a brand new pack a company in the US has kindly sent me. I'll be testing it out as a solo loadout, and hiking between permissions during the days, pitching up and ground dwelling for the nights... minimalist (sort of like a Boonie, but without the tradition) setup (literally just sleep system, tarp, tools and basic cook kit... no bells or whistles [no hammocks]... oh and of course my compass and map, lest I get lost on the forest hikes between permissions)

Then I'm out again on Feb 1st.

All are welcome, just let me know if you're interested, which dates you're interested in and I'll send you the details of where and when to meet via PM.

Re the three day and night minimalist thing, you don't have to restrict your gear if you don't want to... though there will be long hikes involved so you may want to pack light ;)

Will you be doing this sort of thing after June?
I really hate being in finals at the moment. Bloody uni.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would be inersted, still got this dam cold and the next couple of weeks is a no go for me to be camping, I got the kids next weekend, and seeing as the shoot is frist weekend of Feb I think I need to get up the range before taht so that knocks out the last weekend of Jan, also that weekend I need to get the RAT Pack challenge fixed which will mean a Sunday foot falling around the course to confirm the co-ord's for teh route.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I don't know how far you guys walk, .

I know from my experiance not many, I only bimble now, so 25miles + like I used to do a day is a no no... lol, I know that some would stuggle doing about 4km, the RAT PAck will be 5km the frist day and 15km ish the second, it will be intersting how some will cope with just that.......

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Will you be doing this sort of thing after June?
I really hate being in finals at the moment. Bloody uni.

I'm doing this sort of thing all the time, all year round mate :)

Admittedly, up until close to the end of last year I only had the one permission so things like hiking between them wasn't possible... but now I have almost a dozen sites with multiple landowners :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Chris, Steve, just in case Miguel is about.. how about 26th Jan for a bit of practice up the range before the Shoot on the 2nd Feb?, I know there is a working party up the range on the 25th jan, I have said yes to that as well :).

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yeah I am looking forward to having twang agian, and with the giggles we have as well. I looking forward to the shoot... that dam Disco better not let me down this time :)

I'm doing this sort of thing all the time, all year round mate :)

Admittedly, up until close to the end of last year I only had the one permission so things like hiking between them wasn't possible... but now I have almost a dozen sites with multiple landowners :)

Excellent! I'll throw you a PM when all is done and dusted. Clerical error today made a real mess up of a presentation. Really not having a good time. I got back from uni and hid under a duvet like a 5 year old pretending that I was out in the woods in a tent, away from all the bureaucratic BS

I know from my experiance not many, I only bimble now, so 25miles + like I used to do a day is a no no... lol, I know that some would stuggle doing about 4km, the RAT PAck will be 5km the frist day and 15km ish the second, it will be intersting how some will cope with just that.......

Well I'm good with whatever, at least I'm flexible :p I just wish I was fit as my uncle that would do 25-30 miles a day with full kit without too much trouble.

I would be inersted, still got this dam cold and the next couple of weeks is a no go for me to be camping, I got the kids next weekend, and seeing as the shoot is frist weekend of Feb I think I need to get up the range before taht so that knocks out the last weekend of Jan, also that weekend I need to get the RAT Pack challenge fixed which will mean a Sunday foot falling around the course to confirm the co-ord's for teh route.

What's the RAT pack challenge? :p

As soon as I know what sleeping set up suits me best, I'm disappearing into the woods for a while.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Excellent! I'll throw you a PM when all is done and dusted. Clerical error today made a real mess up of a presentation. Really not having a good time. I got back from uni and hid under a duvet like a 5 year old pretending that I was out in the woods in a tent, away from all the bureaucratic BS

No worries buddy. Hell, by then I'll have my car license sorted (which I really should've done last year, but have had to reschedule now 5 times for various reasons) so could even pick you up if needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE