Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu I have just looked at my Landranger map number 156 and Melton is right on the bottom edge with only a bit of the forest showing, the next map down is 169

I have been working it out on a 1:25,000 on Memeory Map, as I have the Whole country on it, I tend to use that days now, have Suffolk'ish in 1:50,00 that I keep in the Disco,

I know the whole area is covered by Sheet 212 on the Explorer Range in 1:25,000,
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/explorer-map-woodbridge-saxmundham.html

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Bugger, I already have the landrangers

I know the feeling... you never have the right ones...some will aguee that you can't navigate on 1:50,000 so well...as I say I got the 1:50's for Suffolk area in the Disco, to be honest I got 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 UK on MM so just use that now, so just print off what I need.

I bet if you asked what map to use 30 years ago it was 1:50, now days it seems to be 1:25.. as its got more info.. well so others think.....

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hey all, looking for a new pack for my outings. Really like the look of this but is a touch on the expensive side. Can anyone suggest a good bag of this sort of style at a sensible price?

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/isle-royale-bushcraft-pack/

Hold on a sec... before you start looking for a pack, do you at least have the kit to go in it?

The pack options available to you will be primarily restricted by the kit you intend to pack (for instance, if your kit requires more space than the pack provides.

For all I know you've got all your kit already and know exactly what your pack requirements are, but I thought it worth mentioning just the same. One of those "cart before horse" kind of things.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hey all, looking for a new pack for my outings. Really like the look of this but is a touch on the expensive side. Can anyone suggest a good bag of this sort of style at a sensible price?

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/isle-royale-bushcraft-pack/

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

HAve a look at these :)

http://wildcanvas-outdoor.com/shop/bags-covers/bushcrafter-travel-pack/

It all depends on what style you want, I liek them, but not sure they big enough for me and my kit. saying that I can always cutt down quite a bit... I love the older stlye camping ie canvas/wool/and fire.. :)

may be look at some of the supplus store and ebay as well.

Last edited:

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Ive never had the chance or gear to camp like that, im slowly working my way towards it but by the time ive bought a decent pack, I need a new tarp so been looking at the DD 3m tarps, ive been told to get an itallian wool blanket so it doesn't itch, it all mounts up quite quickly, lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Ive never had the chance or gear to camp like that, im slowly working my way towards it but by the time ive bought a decent pack, I need a new tarp so been looking at the DD 3m tarps, ive been told to get an itallian wool blanket so it doesn't itch, it all mounts up quite quickly, lol

Well... before you go forking out, would you like to meet up and I'll bring all my kit, you can have a play about and see what you like and what you don't... can also bring a multitude of different types and sizes of pack (I have more variety of packs than any outdoors supplier) so you can sort of assemble your intended kit and try it out in different packs to figure out what at least looks like it could work and what obviously wouldn't work?

Figure it'll save you a lot of trial and error (and cash).

EDIT: Also re the blanket, I've got 8 different types of wool blanket ranging from the ultra cheap (£5) to the ultra expensive (£250+). I think you'll find once you hit the ~£45 region, the difference in terms of the wool itself isn't really all that significant.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

your not joking the £'s soon add up, are only ground deweling? if so 3 x3 is ok, myself I still think that the 4x4 is the best one as I am a big lad, and sometimes I hammock.

For a nice cheap bed roll the Czech one is good value but for the colder nights is just not up to it and requires extra blankets, good in the summer tho.

Heres a cheap one if your on a budget, there are some nice canvas sacks about
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2319

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
I Didn't even know they did 4x4s, lol. Ive only tried hammocks a couple of times, i dont mind them but prefere the ground

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I Didn't even know they did 4x4s, lol. Ive only tried hammocks a couple of times, i dont mind them but prefere the ground

Can't complement the DD 4x4 highly enough.
Was out under mine last night... and there's nothing I like more than being able to stake one or both sides to the ground and still walk inside without having to crouch.

Obviously the costs are the immediate price, the size in your pack, and the weight... but the reward is worth it imho.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
they say its a group shelter, but it gives you more room, and allows a higher ridge line so you not so hunched up, a boon to me :)

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/tarp-4x4-large-group-shelter

Aye... though you can always make the overall shelter size smaller by closing in one or both ends, and folding one or both sides under as a floor. One tarp, more options :)

Oh and you can fold it in half and pitch a low apex with two layers (reducing condensation, improving heat retention etc)

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Oh I do like the look of that :-D my current tarp is an old military one so its not even square :-( price wasn't as bad as I expected

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yeah quite a few of the suffolk bods have them and like them as they are great for the more inclement weather you can take them right to the ground have loads of room, enough for two really and kit, and still totally block one end to stop air flow through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE