Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Sorry but who is setting the Challenge......?????

Eh? You've lost me now... Chris was asking whether people would think it was cheating to have both a tarp and a poncho.... I was saying that I've done that in the past and explaining why.
So... who's talking about a "Challenge"?

EDIT: Oh... I missed the context! I didn't realize he was talking about the response pack challenge. That's what happens when you click the link in the notification e-mail and it decides to skip a bunch of posts rather than taking you to the FIRST new one. Ugh

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
For the purpose of this challenge your response pack needs to contain everything you need to get through 24nrs excluding water, so it needs to contain food, shelter, poo kit, first aid, etc

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Have I missed something or have I inadvertently created a response pack? ie enough stuff to get by if you lost your main pack?

Think your grasped the thinking behind the Response Pack, basically a small grab bag survival kit :)... but bigger then a tin :), and holds more of what are not just the necessitys.....and items to make it a bit more comfortable :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Simon I asked if it would be cheating to use a poncho as a tarp, not carry both, please read posts properly before replying.

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I put a small book in mine (Food for free) about wild edibles for when I go for a wander about see what I can find and I'm trying not to double up on anything in both bags. I went through my kit the other day and It was amazing how much crap I had and doubled up on stuff. two torches about 400 knives (I like a knife), two candles, two fire steels too much paracord, two multi tools........... now I have started again ditched most stuff and had a Tesco carrier bag full of leftovers.

As a newbie, I think I have now gone through the exciting bit of getting kit and now trying to get rid of it so I have just what I need. Keep It Simple

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That happens quite a bit Toby... people get excited, nowt wrong with that we all do.....even now, best thing about the sort of group we have we got some great guys that have used the kit, and know what it can do, and how to use it, between us most of the kit has been used by some one some time some where, so you can see and try kit before you spend loads on it.. :)

Oh by the way when your at the meet we can look at that tarp set up you where trying to sort out the last time you went out and had problems setting up, the guys that where there on the Tarpolgy meet did well and a far few set ups where demo'd.... :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Had a look at mine today, managed a mug, stove, gas can, 2 mylar blankets, torch and a knife, still loads of room for grub and other usefull stuff

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
That happens quite a bit Toby... people get excited, nowt wrong with that we all do.....even now, best thing about the sort of group we have we got some great guys that have used the kit, and know what it can do, and how to use it, between us most of the kit has been used by some one some time some where, so you can see and try kit before you spend loads on it.. :)

Oh by the way when your at the meet we can look at that tarp set up you where trying to sort out the last time you went out and had problems setting up, the guys that where there on the Tarpolgy meet did well and a far few set ups where demo'd.... :)

That would be great, I really liked the look of that setup, but me and simon just could not get it to work so gave in and set up a simple a frame so I had a shelter before dark. I would like to sort it though as it looks quite a cosy one for the winter. I had a look on you tube and made some notes/instructions so should be all good next time.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
yeah it looks a good set up not used it myself, I tend to use a couple that I know and like, it was one that came up and Mike demo'd as he has had it set up before :)

That session turned out as a really good one in the end, think it would be good to run again in a few months time :)

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
Awesome, If Mike does not mind showing me how to set it up, I would be most greatfull. The only difference to the set up on Youtube was that instead of using walking poles, I wanted to set a ridge line off a tree to hold it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE