Suffolk Bushcraft Group

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hope everyone has had a good weekend? Been thinking and I am going to sale some of my archery bows, pmed a couple of guys you said they wanted a bow but thought I would offer on here also. I will put up a post to sale but will drop the information on here a day or so before doing so. Photos to follow. Cheers.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
As we were talking about charcoal making on Friday night, I've just seen this. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38687

I make charcoal often, and I want to point out that it is much better to stack the wood vertically rather than just "throwing it in the tin". It exposes less surface area to potentially burn with whatever air remains in the tin, and helps keep it all together as its size and shape changes while charring.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I make charcoal often, and I want to point out that it is much better to stack the wood vertically rather than just "throwing it in the tin". It exposes less surface area to potentially burn with whatever air remains in the tin, and helps keep it all together as its size and shape changes while charring.

Yes, it clearly shows the wood neatly packed upright in the tin.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Having made charcole comercialy before in proper kilns the wood was stacked on its side, asit would be a right bugger to stack it vertically arou d the central core which is where the fire is lighted. Once the kiln is up to temp and all the moisture driven out the kiln is sealed and made air tight to stop it burning, charcole is actually cooked, in an air free sealed environment burnt as there should be no air present, if there is the whole burn will turn to ash

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Having made charcole comercialy before in proper kilns the wood was stacked on its side, asit would be a right bugger to stack it vertically arou d the central core which is where the fire is lighted. Once the kiln is up to temp and all the moisture driven out the kiln is sealed and made air tight to stop it burning, charcole is actually cooked, in an air free sealed environment burnt as there should be no air present, if there is the whole burn will turn to ash

Makes sense at that kind of scale, but with those kilns the fire is basically running up the center of the container, right? With the biscuit tin (or, in my case, paint tin) you're just sitting it on top of a fire... there's already air inside from when you loaded it up, and a period where the air will allow the exterior of the wood to burn before all that air is consumed and expelled. I found in mine that I get less of an "ash layer" on the outside of my charcoal when I stack the tin vertically rather than horizontally... your experience may vary, and certainly with different methods.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Hey all in the Suffolk Bushcraft Group. Came on here looking for advise on where people go bushcrafting in Suffolk, hopefully i will find like minded friends aswell

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thank you for the welcoming response :-D i found this thread whilst looking for somewhere close to bushcraft so hopefully I get get some info and make some like minded friends at the same time :-D

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thank you for the welcoming response :-D i found this thread whilst looking for somewhere close to bushcraft so hopefully I get get some info and make some like minded friends at the same time :-D

Well, we meet the first full weekend of every month (go to the "England South East" forum in which this thread is located to find the separate thread for the February meet) :)

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thanx, just had a read and sounds good, unfortunately i doubt i could make the feb one but maybe the next (still getting my gear together after too long out of the game). Can anyone suggest a suitable place near felixstowe just for an afternoon jolly with a fire and a coffee? i frequently visit the foreshores in trimley but they do get a tad boring

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanx, just had a read and sounds good, unfortunately i doubt i could make the feb one but maybe the next (still getting my gear together after too long out of the game). Can anyone suggest a suitable place near felixstowe just for an afternoon jolly with a fire and a coffee? i frequently visit the foreshores in trimley but they do get a tad boring

You're welcome to join me on the coast not far from Orford (not that far from you, really) for a brew etc on one of my permissions if you'd like :)

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thanx i may just do that, would be good to chat to people interested inthe same sort of things. Have you seen any of the Dave Canterbury pathfinder videos on youtube?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thanx i may just do that, would be good to chat to people interested inthe same sort of things. Have you seen any of the Dave Canterbury pathfinder videos on youtube?

Personally? Nope... I'm more of the "learn by doing" kind (though, as irony would have it, I do have my own YouTube channel where I post my own videos... go figure)
Nothing against Canterbury personally (though someone told me he lied about his armed forces career, and I can't abide profiteering liars... if it's true, that is)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE