Suffolk Bushcraft Group

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the advice, yeah I have modest experience with an axe, enough to be careful with it, and I know basic safety. So injury shouldn't be too troublesome, but as for skills, those I need to learn and develop.

And the only to learn and develop, is to get out with some experienced folk who will show you the right and wrongs of using sharp instruments.

SeanI

Forager
Sep 18, 2013
Suffolk
Getting ready for the New Year, eventual received my Swedish Army LK70 Rucksack (MilitaryMart customer service could do with a good spring clean) at £22.50, was having no joy in find anything that was comfortable even getting on for £200, but the LK70 has more than enough space and initial impressions are that is will be more than comfortable enough, but proof will be when using in anger for the first time.

Also made a start on my Ammo stove, just need to fabricate something to enable the chimney to attach, then its either rivets or welding to attach the parts, so far I have only had to buy the ammo tin, everything else was found in the shed or garage including the chimney (was original the legs from a metal bunk bed that I got cheap when I needed some metal for my trailer) I had been using on top on my trailer to attach my canoe, but being round wasn't the easiest to use so had replaced with square box section. Any suggestions on how to join 2 tubes of the same size, either shrinking one end or expanding the other.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Getting ready for the New Year, eventual received my Swedish Army LK70 Rucksack (MilitaryMart customer service could do with a good spring clean) at £22.50, was having no joy in find anything that was comfortable even getting on for £200, but the LK70 has more than enough space and initial impressions are that is will be more than comfortable enough, but proof will be when using in anger for the first time.

Also made a start on my Ammo stove, just need to fabricate something to enable the chimney to attach, then its either rivets or welding to attach the parts, so far I have only had to buy the ammo tin, everything else was found in the shed or garage including the chimney (was original the legs from a metal bunk bed that I got cheap when I needed some metal for my trailer) I had been using on top on my trailer to attach my canoe, but being round wasn't the easiest to use so had replaced with square box section. Any suggestions on how to join 2 tubes of the same size, either shrinking one end or expanding the other.

Depending on thickness, grind out a few milli on the outside of one tube, and the inside of the other (all the way around one end of each). Then they'll slot together.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I'm still around Simon. I think I managed a couple of hours before I stabbed myself. Of course it could be a blur for you as you were high on painkillers after falling off your bike... Were you trying to get hold of me about the squirrel cooker sheath? Or have I just reminded you in a subtle way.

I'll be at the January meet, haven't quite decided about the extra day yet. Might wait until New years plans and weather forecasts have been investigated,

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I'm still around Simon. I think I managed a couple of hours before I stabbed myself. Of course it could be a blur for you as you were high on painkillers after falling off your bike... Were you trying to get hold of me about the squirrel cooker sheath? Or have I just reminded you in a subtle way.

I'll be at the January meet, haven't quite decided about the extra day yet. Might wait until New years plans and weather forecasts have been investigated,

Hang on it was Stu that was asking, what. Can i do you for?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

Actually your sheath is finished and sat in my Bergen waiting for the Jan meet :)

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
you know it makes sense three nights :)

As I said not sure yet. Been working on my hatchet using pen and neoprene backed wet and dry. Gone through a piece of 240 and a bit of 320 grit. Still not much sharper. Fits in the mask better now, must be getting smaller! I'll bring the sharpening gear with me. I have loads of space in the new Honda.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE