Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great day in the woods, once again thanks guys. Steve, can you remind me of the spec for your arrows that I used?
Those cheap arrows will have lighter piles put on and I will remove one of the nocks on the string.

mikesmith777

Nomad
Feb 17, 2013
Clacton on Sea
It was only delivered on friday, and today was the first time I could try it out, there appears to be enough room inside for me,
although any one any taller (I'm 5'8"), might find it tight. I need to waterproof it, but for the Dec meet I will probably put a tarp above it.

I also played with some tarp configurations, which seems to give loads of room.

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0017.jpg

I was quite surprised with the amount of room the 3x3 gives you, loads of room for one comfortable for two.

I was running out of time when I put the 4x4 up

DSC_0018.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

You could probably get four people comfortably in there.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Ozzy, the arrows are POC, 30-35 lb 28in long with 100gr heads and 5 inch fletchs. They are the ones with the orange and black feathers. The all black feathered one was POC, 35-40lb 28in long with 100gr heads and 4 inch Fletching.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It was only delivered on friday, and today was the first time I could try it out, there appears to be enough room inside for me,
although any one any taller (I'm 5'8"), might find it tight. I need to waterproof it, but for the Dec meet I will probably put a tarp above it.

I also played with some tarp configurations, which seems to give loads of room.

I was quite surprised with the amount of room the 3x3 gives you, loads of room for one comfortable for two.

I was running out of time when I put the 4x4 up

You could probably get four people comfortably in there.

Looking good there mate. the 4x4 does give a big shelter.. loads of room for me, lol

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
The arrows you have at the moment they sale them in stuart clays in melton, I remembered when driving past it today. You can buy them in singles.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
The arrows you have at the moment they sale them in stuart clays in melton, I remembered when driving past it today. You can buy them in singles.

Was in there this week gone trying to get myself a new bow.... however they only sell low-power "junior" compound kits.... not my scene!

Instead, got myself a much better slingshot ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Was in there this week gone trying to get myself a new bow.... however they only sell low-power "junior" compound kits.... not my scene!

Instead, got myself a much better slingshot ;)

LOL little bit of a differnce there.. :).

Are you thinking about coming into the fold of being an archer?....what you thinking about shooting, or is it a compound you thinking about?.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
LOL little bit of a differnce there.. :).

Are you thinking about coming into the fold of being an archer?....what you thinking about shooting, or is it a compound you thinking about?.

Whatever feels comfortable, Stu. Anything will be a far cry from the home-made bows when I was a kid (made from stolen golf flags).

I consider the slingshot an investment as I'm legally allowed to hunt small game with it, whereas bow hunting is outright illegal. Still, would be nice to see just how bad my aim with a bow has become :p

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Whatever feels comfortable, Stu. Anything will be a far cry from the home-made bows when I was a kid (made from stolen golf flags).

I consider the slingshot an investment as I'm legally allowed to hunt small game with it, whereas bow hunting is outright illegal. Still, would be nice to see just how bad my aim with a bow has become :p

Yeah, I do like the sling shot, its a bit of fun for me tho, I would use it if I was desperate...

Its a shame that hunting is Illegal... but hey ho, the 2 and 3D's at Oakwood will do me for now...

Funlly enough I ve just started my International Bowhunter Education Program...(IBEP) :).. done two of the units and passed lol, not that hard really, If I remmebr 8 in total, then a day practical, then its a trip over to europe to do some hunting.. :).

I like the Traditional type myself, idealy an all wood bow would be good but saying that they have their down falls... so a cross between modern materials and natural materials.. I was supprised how a cheap bow like mine can perform as a stand alone, I am talking about the feel and how consistant it is, but against something that is shall we say of better quility the differance is easily felt and seen, also the sound is differnt... and the how fast the arrow is cast from the bow, in some ways I am would say that power wise #40 to #45 is about right for the distances in a club shoot... from what I have seen from bows I have used and watching others with less power some time they struggle to get to some of the targets with out lobbing, not always easy in a wood.. if someone was to go for a bow just for the Group site then #30 I would say is well enough.. but you still got to be able to draw it...comfortably

If I was just thinking about using it for a pop at 2D's and 3D's I think I would just stick to mine, may be spend a bit more, but not a great deal, but as I intend to travel, and shoot game then I think I may well be going for something like the lil Creep folder, now I have handled and shot one :).. albet it a #48 I would proley get a #50 to #55.. but that would mean a set of #70 spline arrows..from the sounds of it...

As has been said before on the thread .. dont go too mad on the weight, and if you can, match the arrows to the Bow

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Made myself another small spoon this evening (start to finish in under an hour). Made this for my new and improved brew kit :)
I'll take some photos as soon as I find the damned SD card from my camera (it's gone walkies, along with my PC's SD reader... I'm thinking the kids have picked it up for some reason)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Made myself another small spoon this evening (start to finish in under an hour). Made this for my new and improved brew kit :)
I'll take some photos as soon as I find the damned SD card from my camera (it's gone walkies, along with my PC's SD reader... I'm thinking the kids have picked it up for some reason)

Yey.. I like a bit of 'poonage.. :).. I look forward to seeing it :), what wood did you make it from?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE