Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Soon be the weekend... kids Saturday:)

Chris, Steve you still up for Archery on Sunday... 10:30 at the Club? :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Count me in for the rat pack challenge:)

Ok Bud, I was thinking about getting your own RAT Packs then at least your got the one your like... :), this could be a hard one, lol..

I am up for Sunday, not got my key yet so would have to meet at the gate.

Thats No problem, :).. I just want get out and lose some more arrows.. and kill a few more trees, lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Id be up for the RAT pack dependent on location

Hi Woodsman, welcome to the thread, ok mate keep up with the room, prob will be next year, not sure were... have you seen the threads about our monthly meets?

We are trying to get some sort of plan together of what we will try to do :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Count me in on the RAT challenge... not that a day on little-to-no food is much of a challenge, but any excuse to spend more time in the woods is great by me :)

I think the bigger challenge is actually trying to keep down a RAT pack ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Count me in on the RAT challenge... not that a day on little-to-no food is much of a challenge, but any excuse to spend more time in the woods is great by me :)

I think the bigger challenge is actually trying to keep down a RAT pack ;)

I think This time the kit list is Stuck to... the boone was tring to get some experiance, this one the only hard thing is the amount of food, and water that you will have...

I may tamper with the kit list above, and add "one luxury item eg. Tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, fizzy drink etc, but it must be carried in the one trip.But no other food stuffs and that includes chocklit!" as Ivan says

Any additions to kit will NOT be allowed.. :) and phones only for emergencys..

I wonder if we was to meet in Ipswich train to Melton.. then walk in to Rendlesham...??????? bit of navigating on the way.. :)

Better get the rat packs in soon or they all be sold or prices go up, you know what ebay is like.

We got loads of time as it next year...:)

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The train thing is a good idea, or at least park a good distance from the woods and walk in, say all meet in Melton and then walk off together to the woods.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I think This time the kit list is Stuck to... the boone was tring to get some experiance, this one the only hard thing is the amount of food, and water that you will have...
Yeah, learned that lesson for sure! Way too much food I brought to the Boonie. Also, I've been getting along fine at the weekend meets with just 4 litres of water, so that could even be reduced some for a 24hr challenge.

I may tamper with the kit list above, and add "one luxury item eg. Tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, fizzy drink etc, but it must be carried in the one trip.But no other food stuffs and that includes chocklit!" as Ivan says
Good idea... I think Coffee would be my choice of "luxury". I can go a weekend sans the food easily enough, but if I don't get my coffee... bad things happen.

I wonder if we was to meet in Ipswich train to Melton.. then walk in to Rendlesham...??????? bit of navigating on the way.. :)

I was going to suggest Thetford for this, as there's a river for water, the ground is somewhat flatter (easier to sleep on), and there's a lot more on-foot navigation possible if we choose a good site somewhere in the heart of it.
That said, I do think the "one vehicle for emergencies only" thing is a good safety to stick to.

We got loads of time as it next year...:)[/QUOTE]

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thetford a posible...... I do like the Idea of Tarin travel... but thetford would mean a change at Norwich....not a problem.. one problem is where do you hide all the cars for two nights.... and OK a spare would be nice for a Safety Car.. I fancy something different tho..:).

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/network-map

I just been thinking.. we could go to melton Station, by train, first day walk to rendelsham.. then walk to Tunsatll on the second, then back to melton on the Sunday??.... :)..

Do it in MArch?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think that meeting at Melton would be a good idea, it would have to be a 2 night job. Meet at Melton Fri lunchtime and walk to Rendlesham, Saturday walk to Tunstall, Sunday walk back to melton. All on one rat pack.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I think that meeting at Melton would be a good idea, it would have to be a 2 night job. Meet at Melton Fri lunchtime and walk to Rendlesham, Saturday walk to Tunstall, Sunday walk back to melton. All on one rat pack.

Yeah.... :).. that will test the old legs... :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just had and email from the land owner.. Part of it said..

"I’m glad you enjoy visiting the farm so much, and will be delighted to show you some other woodland destinations for your Boone challenge next year.

I hope I’ll make it for that drink and chat soon."

Just in case you did not see it on the Xmas Meal thread... :)

I am going to ask if we can book a table for food at the Compasse's on the Saturday Night for the Feb or March meet... it will get us out of the cold and in to the warm for a night..in some of the coldest weather what do you think :).

We can talk about it at the next meet on say the Friday night... if its a goer I book it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE