Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Are you thinking about doing this next year?

yeah.. I think so this year is geting long in the tooth.. lets get christams over, it also allows a bit of practice for some of us that dont walk alot...lol :)..

I was thingking about doing a wild one in the xmas week between xmas and the new year but prob just a 1 nighter... get a way from teh Turkey..lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Now Dates for next year...So open the 2014 Diarys..... :)

Confrimed today by the Land owner... :)

3rd & 4th Jan 2014 -Monthly Meet
7th & 8th Feb 2014 - Monthly Meet
7th & 8th March 2014 - Monthly Meet
4th & 5th April 2014 - Monthly Meet
2nd & 3rd May 2014 Monly Meet - I may make this a 3 night if the guys want it due to it being a bank holiday
23rd May to 26th May 2014 - Provisonal 4 Night Boone Challenge.
6th & 7th June 2014 - Monthly Meet

Hope this helps in your Planing :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It would be great to have a meal in the pub, can you imagine the look on the faces of the locals when 10 bloke's turn up out of the woods:)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Thetford a posible...... I do like the Idea of Tarin travel... but thetford would mean a change at Norwich....not a problem.. one problem is where do you hide all the cars for two nights.... and OK a spare would be nice for a Safety Car.. I fancy something different tho..:).

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/network-map

I just been thinking.. we could go to melton Station, by train, first day walk to rendelsham.. then walk to Tunsatll on the second, then back to melton on the Sunday??.... :)..

Do it in MArch?

Hell, if we're walking to Tunstall, I might as well walk home on the Sunday since it is (quite literally) around the corner from me ;)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'm out on my permission tomorrow and Sunday to test out some new ridgelines (tarp and hammock respectively). I've come up with a new variant on the Magnus Hitch (which is a form of taught-line hitch) so effective at stopping slippage of the knot over the line, it actually works on Amsteel/Dyneema as well as cords with higher friction.
Best part is it allows me to set the tension on the ridgeline by simply pulling the running end of the line while holding the knot. No figure-9's or anything like that... just a simple rope with a knot of reasonable simplicity :)

Good excuse to get some filming done (I haven't filmed anything since I documented my failed attempt at a continuous ridgeline on the Boonie)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Weather permitting I might be able to get out too

Welcome to join me if you wish, though I know some people enjoy their solo adventures from time to time :)

I've also got a fair few fallen trees and branches to clear on my permission (which hasn't been touched since the storm hit). Just driving past I can see at least a dozen fallen trees, and several dozen hanging branches (some of which are fairly massive).

If you want to join me, shoot me a PM... and of course no offense taken if you'd rather go out on your own somewhere :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've come up with a new variant on the Magnus Hitch (which is a form of taught-line hitch) so effective at stopping slippage of the knot over the line, it actually works on Amsteel/Dyneema as well as cords with higher friction.

one of the problems with tying Knots in Dyneema is that over 60% of the structural Strength is lost.... and the knot is the weak point..

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It's still more than sufficient for a tarp ridgeline (I've applied over 100KG of force to the knotted line to test and it held strong).

It will still hold a tarp up, no problem, and a hammock if you really want it to, just thought I'd let others know that :)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
It will still hold a tarp up, no problem, and a hammock if you really want it to, just thought I'd let others know that :)

Yeah, makes sense. I'll be clear to point out the downsides as I document and demonstrate the knot :)

As I say, this is a knot intended solely for use with ridge and guy lines (where extreme strength isn't paramount).
Personally, I'm opting for a very nice mariner rope as the cordage for my 4x4's new ridgeline :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just emailed Pennie about it, not had my card back from NFAS yet either, but I guess it has only been 2 weeks and you kind of forget what life was like before everything was instant over the net.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE