Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good night out last night, got to try out my home made under quilt, and the prototype Grill, good to meet Paul (roman soldier), we meet round Tonys at 6pm and went to the normal forest, set up tarps and hammocks giving advice to Paul, when we were ready did a bot of wood collecting, then made a fire, wile that was getting ready for cooking and makeing a cuppa, Paul tried out his kelly kettle, and Tony started to fill his new dutch oven with a nice stew, he had also brought some Bannock. I knocked up some herb dumplings to go with Tonys stew...

The griddle done a great job of holding a kettle, the Dutch oven and an other Billy with the left over dumpling mix in, when the Stew was ready we sat down to a nice meal of Beef stew with herb dumplings with Toasted Bannock.... made for a very happy set of Tums...

It was also good to see Nick pop in for a quick chat, sorry we did not have the water ready for a cuppa Nick hopefully see you the Sussex Meet In a couple of weeks.

we woke up ealry this morning, had a bit of breaky and then broke camp... back home for a shower.

heres a few pics.

The Griddle with a with in use
P1010034.jpg

P1010036.jpg

Pauls new set up
P1010037.jpg

The camp
P1010039.jpg

Tony not at his best
P1010040.jpg

My Pit with the Home made Underquilt
P1010042.jpg

How i have made the adjustment on the quilt
P1010043.jpg

Gridlle in use as table....
P1010044.jpg

Yes he is human
P1010046.jpg

And Paul did survive
P1010047.jpg

All in all a good night, with good comapmy... talking Balls...... Poooonsss, and they Just dont know how lucky we are.....

Last edited:

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Boys

Thanks for the flattering photo their Stu, it was good to meet Paul the newest member of the Suffolk group.
It was an excellent evening, with a good chat and laugh. The grill did a very good job and thanks to Stu and his assortment of POOOONS.

Reg
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Boys

Thanks for the flattering photo their Stu, The grill did a very good job and thanks to Stu and his assortment of POOOONS.

Reg
Rum

LOL i just could not help that one sorry mate...., shame I did not have a Laddle, but the stew really made it......

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Looks great. I thought the it was tonight everyone was heading out. Shame on me for not reading the posts. I am waiting on a call back from a farmer about using. some of his woodland for a group base camp. The son-owner in 2 years time seems very keen on us using - looking after it. But it is in the hands of the father at the moment........

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks great. I thought the it was tonight everyone was heading out. Shame on me for not reading the posts. I am waiting on a call back from a farmer about using. some of his woodland for a group base camp. The son-owner in 2 years time seems very keen on us using - looking after it. But it is in the hands of the father at the moment........

Would of been good to see you there, yeah keep a closer eye on the thread, the wood would be good for a base, i'll keep me fingers crossed.

hopefully be 4 of us at the Sussex meet at the end of the month for any one interested how about a June meet of say we say Sat 16th June just to get a date down.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
bushcraft_betty027_by_bikerbloke-d3frljl.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
nice pics there Paul, and thanks for the comment about my set up.... it will not take you long before your there as well.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Boys

I hope you are well, I was thinking about food for the next outing, here are my thought have you got anything else you would prefer?

How about roast mutton with veg and roast potatoes? I think we will need a spit for this
venison steaks with back potatoes a good bottle of red?
And booze of course optional if you must, I was think of bringing some port.

Reg
Rum

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Courtesy of Andy2112 from Midlands bushcraft sounds nice

Bushcraft Curry
This recipe will serve 2-4 people but you can adjust it for more

First off is the spices that make the curry powder for the sauce :

Coriander powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder (i used mild but if you like it hot, go for it !)
Curry powder

A teaspoon of each will do for 2-3 people but depends on how you like it. I use East End brand but other brands are available. You can pre mix the spices and keep in a small tub for when your "in country".

Other ingredients

Oil
Ginger 2cm piece
Garlic 2 cloves
Bay leaf 1 large
Cinammon stick 2cm piece
Cloves 2-3
Cardamon pods 2-3
Chopped tomatoes 2-3 tins
Salt
Meat of your choice in chunks/cubed
Vegtables of your choice

How to

Fry the
Oil, Ginger, Garlic, Bay leaf, Cinammon, Cloves and Cardamon pods in 1 tablespoon of oil till brown. You can take them out but i left it in apart from the bay leaf

Add the onions (chopped) fry till soft and mushy

Add the tomatoes

Add one & 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of salt

Add 2-3 teaspons of the pre-prepared curry powder and cook for 3 minutes or so to release the flavour.

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the vegtables and cook till the meat and veg are cooked though.

Keep stirring the curry occasionally

Reduce the sauce by cooking it till its nice and thick.

Enjoy.

PS If you follow the above it will turn out fine but because the fires don't have gas marks on them just keep your eye on it and keep adjusting the curry till its right for you.

Serve with rice or naans or whatever you want.

I did ours with chicken and lamb and if you do these meats i suggest putting the lamb in first then a while later add the chicken.

Oh, if you do a seafood curry don't put the cumin podwer in as it is too strong a flavour for the seafood.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
West Indian Curried Goat
Ingredients

2kg leg of goat or mutton, boned (keep the bones) washed and dried and cut into 1" cubes.
2tbsp of finely chopped chives.
2 scotch bonnet chillies, i desseded and chopped, the other left whole.
4 garlic cloves finely chopped.
1 tsp ground allspice.
1 small bunch of thyme leaves chopped.
4 tbsp of Caribbean curry powder.
2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
2 onions, finely chopped.
1 tsp of rock salt.
400ml of coconut milk.

Method

Season the cubes with the chives, chopped chilli, half the garlic, the allspice, half the thyme and 2 tbsp of the curry powder. Place in a large dish, cover with cling film and marinate overnight in the fridge.

Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or a dutchie, add the remaining garlic and thyme, the onions and ginger. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions start to turn golden.

Mix the remaining curry powder with 4 tbsp of water. Add to the pot and cook, stirring, until all the liquid has evaporated. Add the cubes of meat and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes or until all the meat is seared all over, stirring constantly to prevent it sticking to the pot.

Add the bones (which should be cut into 2" pieces) salt and the whole chilli, then pour over the coconut milk and 250ml of water. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.

Remove the lid and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until the meat is soft and tender and the sauce is thick and glossy.

Serve with rice, peas and fried plantain and copious amounts of Red Stripe

Now that sounds awesome! I love fried plantain too

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Funnly enough I was just the other day thinking about food for sussex........

I'll eat most Stews Currys Chilis, Spagbolls.... ect ect, so I am easy....

I also like the idea of a roast, lol in the DO

mmmm Port.... sounds like some cheese could come ut as well...........

Last edited:

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Courtesy of Andy2112 from Midlands bushcraft sounds nice

Bushcraft Curry
This recipe will serve 2-4 people but you can adjust it for more

First off is the spices that make the curry powder for the sauce :

Coriander powder
Cumin powder
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder (i used mild but if you like it hot, go for it !)
Curry powder

A teaspoon of each will do for 2-3 people but depends on how you like it. I use East End brand but other brands are available. You can pre mix the spices and keep in a small tub for when your "in country".

Other ingredients

Oil
Ginger 2cm piece
Garlic 2 cloves
Bay leaf 1 large
Cinammon stick 2cm piece
Cloves 2-3
Cardamon pods 2-3
Chopped tomatoes 2-3 tins
Salt
Meat of your choice in chunks/cubed
Vegtables of your choice

How to

Fry the
Oil, Ginger, Garlic, Bay leaf, Cinammon, Cloves and Cardamon pods in 1 tablespoon of oil till brown. You can take them out but i left it in apart from the bay leaf

Add the onions (chopped) fry till soft and mushy

Add the tomatoes

Add one & 1/2 - 2 teaspoons of salt

Add 2-3 teaspons of the pre-prepared curry powder and cook for 3 minutes or so to release the flavour.

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes

Add 1/2 cup of water

Add the vegtables and cook till the meat and veg are cooked though.

Keep stirring the curry occasionally

Reduce the sauce by cooking it till its nice and thick.

Enjoy.

PS If you follow the above it will turn out fine but because the fires don't have gas marks on them just keep your eye on it and keep adjusting the curry till its right for you.

Serve with rice or naans or whatever you want.

I did ours with chicken and lamb and if you do these meats i suggest putting the lamb in first then a while later add the chicken.

Oh, if you do a seafood curry don't put the cumin podwer in as it is too strong a flavour for the seafood.

Hi all

This one sounds good, will this be day 1 or 2? Any suggestions for the other meal are we doing afters?
Do you want me to get the items and then split the cost 3 ways?

Reg
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi all

This one sounds good, will this be day 1 or 2? Any suggestions for the other meal are we doing afters?
Do you want me to get the items and then split the cost 3 ways?

Reg
Rum

Just thinking about the meals

Day 1
Eve meal

Day 2
Breaky
Lunch
Eve Meal

Day 3
Breaky
Lunch

Do we want to cook as a group all weekend, or just eve meals?.

I like the idea of the curry then maybe a roast/stew the next day.

As far as costs go I am easy.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Tony, let me know what I can do to help, as you seem very organised withthe food I'm fine with a 3 way split and will assist with whatever you need. P

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Tony, let me know what I can do to help, as you seem very organised withthe food I'm fine with a 3 way split and will assist with whatever you need. P

Hi Boys

Are we looking at doing all three meals together or just main meal?
I don't mined ether way.
Can we agreey what we are going to do before the end of this weekend, if this is ok with you both?

Reg
Rum

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I'm Glamping this weekend in the caravan, can't wait for next weekend in the hammock.. My personal preference would be to allow for separate breakfast, lunch with a group evening meal. We can always put together something for breckie if we fancy. Its just with Stu's funny shaped Poon and my plastic spork I'm not sure the porridge will work Lol

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Tony I will get the meat for one night and marinade it ready. I was thinking Mutton or Goat on the bone (Ghurka style) mmmmm

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Lads, I will get the meat as already said, and I have the spices for the first part of the bushcraft curry, if one of you could get the "other ingredients" we will be sorted. What about 2nd night?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE